Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > First hard crash in months. Damn 9.1 :\

First hard crash in months. Damn 9.1 :\
Cipher13
Jan 11, 2001, 11:59 PM

Ok I just had the first hard crash in months when I opened Napster.
Wasn't doing anything out of the ordinary and bam - clock stops, mouse won't move, no force quit, couldn't even drop into Macsbug.
Had to use the hard reset button.
What crap.
I've had it how many days and this??
And 9.04 never crashed.
Funny, 9.1 f6 was noticeably faster than 9.1 GM and also didn't crash on me once.
Once again I say, good job Apple

Cipher13

Cipher13  (op)
Jan 12, 2001, 06:23 AM

Ok, two hard crashes in a day, and several soft crashes that I successfully recovered from.
OS 9.1 is going into the trash.
Replaced by 9.04.

Cipher13

WDL
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 12, 2001, 11:36 AM

Cipher:

The Apple read me's strongly push installing 9.1 from the CD - I really think there's something going
on there that they're not sharing with us.

I'm still ordering the CD (when I can - the form's still not up on the Apple Canada site) just to have it, but
will think long and hard about actually installing it.

9.0.4 is working so well and stable for me, I just can't get enthused about having to seek out updates etc
for 9.1.

Are you able to order it in Oz yet?

WDL

ridge
Jan 12, 2001, 11:47 AM

I have installed 9.1 on my 8500 with g3 xlr8 zif card. no crashing problems but there is this issue with the start up disk selector crashing and when i try to access the monitors control panel it says the appleguidegluelib is missing and monitors cant run now. Havent had any other than those so far. is it just me why am I missing this library. Does anyone else have problems with the startupdisk control panel? Can some one email me the appleguidegluelib file if they have it? [email protected].

thanks

mrchin
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 12, 2001, 12:29 PM

I installed it at work, like I do with most software without Tech's consent, but oh well, I know more than them anyway. I get an error with anything printer related (in chooser to select printer and from any app when I actually press command print) I have this extension installed and turned on but it keeps shutting off and gives me the following error:

OEMCLib could not be loaded because there is not enough memory available. Adobe PS will continue to run without this library however no plug-ins, in the Printer Descriptions folder, will take effect. Try closing Finder windows and quitting applications.

I've got 512mb physical RAM installed on this puppy, so that's not an issue. Maybe if I turn on virtual mem, that'll fix it. I can still print fine through the network, but it seems that some of the printer prefs that actually send to the printer are disabled. Like I had it set that pages came out of this PS Laser (bigass Zerox color printer) face up. Now everything's coming out face down, back at default. No way to change it. So that's a problem.
So now I'm thinking of installing 9.1 at home. Should I?I thought it had big new features. Does it? I've got X PB on a 2nd ATA drive. Has anyone tried to test the incompatibility? At work I see that the Classic Compatibility Extensions are just turned off now. So if I turn them on, will it work then? Hmm, dilemma. Or am I really even gonna use PB anymore until the final X comes out?
Dual 2.0 G5/2.5GB/ATI 9800 Pro | MacBook Pro 2.16 Gore Duo/2GB/ATI X1600

Gregory
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 12, 2001, 12:31 PM

ridge,

I'd try moving the entire System Preference folder out of the System Folder.

9.1 has bitten me with not being able to wake from sleep. Loss of USB PCI card (I wanted more than the two in the Yosemite and that had full 1.1MB/sec on each port PLUS provide more native power (a/c) to support modems and longer USB cables. not to be - nothing on the XLR8 Dual Port USB PCI card will work!

Hopefully the full 9.1 CD (due to arrive Monday) will ah shed some "light" on these dark goings on.

Gregory

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 12, 2001, 01:35 PM

Had some Crashes but Ran Techtool and Norton and fixed any problems now no more Crashes.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

Cipher13  (op)
Jan 12, 2001, 05:52 PM

WDL, I don't you can yet. I'm not even running the International English version, I'm running the US release...
It's been sorta ok though.
I'm still downgrading to 9.04 next time I shut down though.

Cipher13

profsci
Jan 12, 2001, 07:54 PM

PB G3 Lombard/400mHz/192mb ram

Installed 9.1 as per instructions, all worked fine for about 10 hours - then a restart and the infamous flashing "?"...after panicking...the solution: hit the hardware reset button in the back of the PB, start up, finds the system file and starts up fine (but each time you restart it loses it!)

The permanent solution: set the startup disk as the TT 3.0.2 CD, then restart and boot from TT 3.0.2 CD , run DFA 8.6, fixed some "custom icon" problems, then ran TT 3.0.2, found some bundle bit errors and creation date errors - fixed them too. Since this - all seems fine!!?? From my understanding, it should not be, but it is.

Forum Links
Forum Rules