Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > University Degrees...What do you have?

University Degrees...What do you have? (Page 2)
Eagle_AS
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 18, 2003, 10:19 AM

Bachelor of Fine Arts degree with a concentration in Painting.

calamar1
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 18, 2003, 10:24 AM

my piece of paper (currently buried in the warren of cables behind my desk, still in its original envelope) is a B.S. in Aeronautical Engineering from RPI in 2000. Not much good to me now, alas.

boots
Professional Poster
Dec 18, 2003, 11:55 AM

BS (concentration in Chemistry): Univ. of Mich. 1994
PhD (Organic Synthesis): Univ, of Texas in Austin (Steve Martin) 2000
NIH Post-doc: Emory University (Al Padwa) 2000-2003

Now helping to confer BS Chemistry degrees at a small college in MN.

RE: School of Hard Knocks - I paid my own way through undergrad and graduated debt free; I ran a homeless shelter for three years in Austin.

If Heaven has a dress code, I'm walkin to Hell in my Tony Lamas.

bells0
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 18, 2003, 12:04 PM

Beng degree in Manufacturing Systems Engineering in '97 [yaaaaaaawn!!]

Thank God for Nepatism, currently the Finance Manager for my Dad's engineering company!!

Turias
Mac Elite
Dec 18, 2003, 12:10 PM

Originally posted by 11011001:
I am working on a degree in computer science. But, I have a question, my university (University of Calgary) does seem to be anything well known, like say Queens University. Does the school where one got their computer science degree really matter that much in getting a job? (I wouldn't mind getting a job in the US or Canada) Hmm, and what kind of job would one get coming out of university with such a degree.. please don't say sys admin.
In CS, it's not all about your where you got your degree. Get good grades, learn a lot, and program in your off time. Writing "Programmed a Gopher server for CS 347" on your transcript doesn't say much. Writing your own shareware, freeware, or open source programs that people use does.

Oh, and I have a B.A. in Computer Science.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Dec 18, 2003, 12:24 PM

Working on my Bachelor of Science in Game Art and Design. But do I have the petience to deal with such nerdy classmates? Time will tell.

lil'babykitten
Professional Poster
Dec 18, 2003, 12:30 PM

I'm in my first year, studying for a BA in Politics.
(Yes, I am crazy)

beb
Mac Elite
Dec 18, 2003, 12:32 PM

Originally posted by chaldean oracle:
only community colleges offer a 2 or 3-year option, unlike much of Europe. This education is usually considered 'general', in that it doesn't prepare you for a particular career, but just how to be a learner. Exceptions are possible (e.g. nursing).
Um, no.

1. Community colleges usually offer vocational (field-specific) programs, as well as university transfer programs. The vocational programs can be certificate (usually one year or less), diploma, (one year) or an associate (two years). Many of these programs fold (creditwise) within themselves.

After you've receieved your associate in whatever field, you can take that AS or AA and transfer to a University usually as a junior. Often, if you've earned a vocational/AS degree you can do the reverse transfer. At the university, you would take general education courses. If it's the university transfer program that you have your AA or AS, you would transfer and take field-specific courses there to complete your BA or BS.

This method has advantages in that community colleges are far cheaper than universities. Also, if you have an AS in something like Mechanical Engineering or Nursing, you can typically get a job right out of the gate.

2. Continuing education classes are non-university/college credit courses that are offered by both universities and community colleges. These classes can be industry specific training like catapiller training or basketweaving or shagging. Adult highschool or GED also falls under continuing education.
( Last edited by beb; Dec 18, 2003 at 12:39 PM. )

vcutag
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 18, 2003, 01:31 PM

Advanced studies diploma in HS (2000), currently in year 4 of 5.5 years at Virginia Commonwealth University working on a BS in Mass Communications with a concentration in print journalism/graphics & a minor in History.

::whew::

kikkoman
Senior User
Dec 18, 2003, 02:54 PM

BSEE

wolfen
Mac Elite
Dec 18, 2003, 08:05 PM

BS in Business Admin / IS minor --> The only marketable degree the religious cult college offered.

Post Bac. Psychology -- more credits than somebody with a typical BS degree would have, plus a bunch of research that might get published...someday...maybe.

wolfen
Do you want forgiveness or respect?

WizOSX
Mac Elite
Dec 18, 2003, 08:18 PM

What degree(s) do you hold? B.A. 1971 (University of Vermont), M.A. 1973 (Brown), PhD. 1974 (Brown)

And my �Mac degrees:�
PowerMac 7600 .........................� Mac IIcx...............................� Apple IIe

historylme
Mac Elite
Dec 18, 2003, 08:59 PM

BA- U.C. Santa Cruz
MA- Cal. State Northridge, L.A.

During my friends graduating ceremony, one guy got a BA in Basquet weaving.... that was too out there, even for Santa Cruz.

Augie50
Dec 18, 2003, 09:09 PM

BA in psychology from Iowa State University www.iastate.edu

Working on a JD from John Marshall Law School in Chicago www.jmls.edu

Considering also enrolling in DePaul's part-time MBA program.

We have some very well educated members here, its really quite impressive.

Amorya
Mac Elite
Dec 18, 2003, 09:31 PM

Originally posted by chaldean oracle:
What are some different structures out there?
In England, you go to school 'til 16. That's compulsory. Then you take GCSE exams in about 9-11 different subjects. (You choose some, and others (like English) are compulsory).

Then you go to college or 6th form for two years, and take A levels. Normally you take 3 or 4 subjects of your choice. Your results in these exams dictate where you can go to university.

Then a batchelor's degree is usually 3 years. Sometimes it's 4 if you're taking a language course for example (the extra year there involves living in a foreign country). You take one subject (unless doing a joint degree), and you have to decide on your subject before you apply to university. This is often enough to work in a certain field.

A masters is then another one year (usually) after that. It's required to do some jobs. I'll probably need one if I want to go on to be a psychologist.

A PHD I don't know much about. I've heard it's usually taken instead of a masters - you choose the one you want to do but most people don't do both. Not sure though.

This is very much an over simplification, but since it's 1:30am and I'm lying in bed (gotta love Airport!) then this'll hafta do

Amorya
What the nerd community most often fail to realize is that all features aren't equal. A well implemented and well integrated feature in a convenient interface is worth way more than the same feature implemented crappy, or accessed through a annoying interface.

mike one
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 18, 2003, 10:43 PM

in chronological order:

AS: math & science
BS: environmental chemistry
IL dan: Tae Kwon Do
MS: organic chemistry
Ph.D.: organic chemistry, expected in 6 months from Univ. of Chicago.

iWrite
Professional Poster
Dec 19, 2003, 12:57 AM

Chemistry was my WORST subject.

I remember once trying to add up atomic numbers.

I still don't understand it most of the time (equations and that sort of thing). I remember my prof, "Dr. Yee," a little Chinese guy who was so kind and would spend hours of his time trying to tutor me.

Somehow I got through it: Organic and inorganic chemistry.

Weird thing is that I was fine with mathetmatics and predicate calculus/formal logic.

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 19, 2003, 12:58 AM

B.S. Computer Science and Engineering, 2002, from UC Berkeley

Working on an M.S. in Computer Science (hopefully by 2006, yikes), from Rensselaer.

In my ideal world I'd love to go back and be an undergraduate again... Get a history degree from some liberal arts school back East, that would be fantastic.

Originally posted by 11011001:
Does the school where one got their computer science degree really matter that much in getting a job? (I wouldn't mind getting a job in the US or Canada) Hmm, and what kind of job would one get coming out of university with such a degree.. please don't say sys admin.
The answer is no, Berkeley is a great CS school and people who graduated with me are just as unemployed as anyone else... I will be honest and say that I think it did help me get my foot in the door for the job I currently have, but I don't think my current job is a good example of what's available out there. Given that, if you're having a satisfying undergrad experience where you are then you're ahead of the curve, IMO.

Where you got your CS degree from really doesn't matter, what matters is how well prepared you are for a professional career.

But I would say don't get your hopes up for a software development job right out of the gate, almost nobody gets that anymore. Most people seem to go into QA or IS and work their way up from there.... It's kind of funny, after 20 years of everyone saying that anyone can write software, all of a sudden you need 6 years of experience to get the opportunity to do so. At least in QA you may get to write little QA tools and in IS you may get to write significant internal software tools (and I think that will be an area of major growth, but probably outsourced in the future).
( Last edited by itai195; Dec 19, 2003 at 01:09 AM. )

passmaster16
Senior User
Dec 19, 2003, 01:08 AM

B.S. in Information Science, 2003, Univ of Pittsburgh

Working on M.S. in Multimedia Technology but those plans might change because I have to relocate

brapper
Professional Poster
Dec 19, 2003, 03:55 AM

i have about 33% of a econ degree.....hopefully I'll be able to get the rest....

kiwibabe
Forum Regular
Dec 19, 2003, 04:35 AM

B.S Hons Biochemistry/Molecular Biology

PhD Biochemistry

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 19, 2003, 04:58 AM

Working on B.S. in Physics and Japanese at UW-Madison. Oh, I'm also majoring in beer (required here).

mixin visuals
Mac Elite
Dec 19, 2003, 05:15 AM

i just have student loans left to pay
Technology, Computing & Creativity - www.clubmedia.com

Overflowing with Design Links - www.mixinvisuals.com

VW Sites.com - Links to the Volkswagen World - www.vwsites.com

boots
Professional Poster
Dec 19, 2003, 10:16 AM

Originally posted by mike one:
in chronological order:

AS: math & science
BS: environmental chemistry
IL dan: Tae Kwon Do
MS: organic chemistry
Ph.D.: organic chemistry, expected in 6 months from Univ. of Chicago.
For whom do you work? (PM me if you'd like)

If Heaven has a dress code, I'm walkin to Hell in my Tony Lamas.

voyageur
Mac Elite
Dec 19, 2003, 10:21 AM

B.A. Biology, Smith College
M.S. Zoology, University of New Hampshire
I also completed a year of the PhD program in Neurobiology at the Harvard Medical School; then I dropped out for financial and family reasons.

When I was younger, I think I took my education somewhat for granted. The older I get the more grateful I am for my education. I represent the first generation of women in my family to attend college, and I thank my parents for making it possible. I realize now that it's not so much what you learn, but that you learn how to think.

I like Derek Bok's quote: "If you think education is expensive, try ignorance."

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Dec 19, 2003, 11:26 AM

Originally posted by voyageur:
I realize now that it's not so much what you learn, but that you learn how to think.
Well said. When I was in my undergrad years, I thought I was smarter than my parents, eventhough they are highly educated themselves. But the older I get the more I realize just how ignorant I was in even thinking that. It finally dawned on me that it's not so much the "trivial, Jeopardy-type knowledge" that's important. What is important is learning how to think for myself. That took much longer and I'm still learning so much everyday. Damn, the life lessons.
( Last edited by TheIceMan; Dec 20, 2003 at 09:59 PM. )

Phanguye
Mac Elite
Dec 19, 2003, 11:47 AM

one year until completion of

B.A. Econonics, Indiana University
B.A. Computer Science, Indiana University

then probably onto grad school to get even more over educated

Fyre4ce
Mac Elite
Dec 19, 2003, 12:10 PM

Three semesters plus one final away from a BS in Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, with a concentration in automotive systems, from the Big Red. Might go on to do a MEng in race car design.
Fyre4ce

Let it burn.

msuper69
Professional Poster
Dec 19, 2003, 03:14 PM

BSBA in Information Systems, 1992, from The Ohio State University.

And w/$3.00 I can buy a cup of coffee.

Seriously, this degree is worth more to me personally than professionally. No company gives a big whoop about a 52 year old male computer professional with a college degree and 30 years of experience. I'm seriously thinking about going into retirement early.

Joshua
Mac Elite
Dec 19, 2003, 04:06 PM

B.A. in English and History. I stopped one class short of a minor in Medieval & Renaissance Studies.

Now I'm working on my J.D.
Safe in the womb of an everlasting night
You find the darkness can give the brightest light.

petehammer
Senior User
Dec 19, 2003, 04:21 PM

Originally posted by brapper:
i have about 33% of a econ degree.....hopefully I'll be able to get the rest....
Don't worry, that's a sunk cost. You're fine on the margin.

That is, until you get to the Slutsky equation. Sorry, I just like saying Slutsky.

To get the other 67% of your degree, remember this handy econ phrase: "On the other hand..."
If after 6 months no WMD are found, people who supported the war should say ["You're right, we were wrong -- good job"] -- and move to impeach Mr. Bush."
-moki, 04/16/03 (Props to Spheric Harlot)

Cipher13
Dec 20, 2003, 02:21 AM

I'm 19, currently third year B.Sc (Genetics).

Will work my way up to phD in genetics, and zoology. I might then get another degree in geological science or something.

shabbasuraj  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 20, 2003, 01:41 PM

interesting to see a good mix of both pure and applied sciences, social sciences, and fine arts people...
blabba5555555555555555555555555555555555555

mrgaskell
Senior User
Dec 20, 2003, 02:36 PM

B.S in Biology, minor in Chemistry (2 classes short of a B.A.), Metropolitan State College of Denver (The US's largest commuter school).

Will have my M.A. in Curriculum and Instruction in Secondary Biology, University of Colorado at Denver this spring, just have to put in the paperwork!

Transistioning into a second M.A. in Instructional Learning Technologies, also at UCD. Maybe a Ph.D after that.
BlackBook 2Ghz C2D, 2GB, 120GB HD | Black 80GB iPod 5.5 | 8GB Red iPod Nano |
Check out my personal and classroom sites!

cenutrio
Mac Elite
Dec 20, 2003, 09:42 PM

B.S. Biology, 1996, University of Navarra (Spain)
M.S. Bacteriology, 1999, UW-Madison
Ph.D. Candidate Food Science, summer 2004 (I hope), UW-Madison

jonn804
Forum Regular
Dec 20, 2003, 10:34 PM

Masters, Business -- University of Richmond -- as in Richmond, Virginia - United States - North America - Earth - Sol System

beb
Mac Elite
Dec 20, 2003, 11:22 PM

You know this all gonna be really sad when we can just plug a cable into the back of our head and have instant access to databases of information.

Well, the good thing about that is instead of having to spend five or six years getting the master's degree, you can simply shortcut to the doctorate.

It's my understanding that with the doctorate you're supposed to somehow contribute to what we consider knowledge. So it all works out pretty well. We have a much easier and faster method of both obtaining information, as well as leaving our mark within it.
( Last edited by beb; Dec 20, 2003 at 11:28 PM. )

scadboy
Forum Regular
Dec 20, 2003, 11:31 PM

B.A. in Fine Arts from the Savannah College of Art and Design

don't laugh

michael

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 21, 2003, 12:13 AM

Originally posted by beb:
You know this all gonna be really sad when we can just plug a cable into the back of our head and have instant access to databases of information.

Well, the good thing about that is instead of having to spend five or six years getting the master's degree, you can simply shortcut to the doctorate.

It's my understanding that with the doctorate you're supposed to somehow contribute to what we consider knowledge. So it all works out pretty well. We have a much easier and faster method of both obtaining information, as well as leaving our mark within it.
Knowledge != information

Availability of information does nothing to decrease utter ignorance of people.

Witness the internet. If anything, it's got worse.

-s*

webcookie
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 21, 2003, 10:33 AM

I've got my high school diploma, a year before I would have gotten it had I stayed in public school. I dropped out of high school at the end of 10th grade and continued on home study, and finished 11th and 12th grade in one year. I took a semester off, and on January 21st I start college. Eep!

I'm going to a community college to get an A.A.S. degree in Business Management. After that, I'd like to transfer to a 4 year college and get a degree in Hotel Management.
iBook G4: 800mhz, 640mb, 40gb ("Astrid")
iPod: 30gb Photo ("Gordon"), 1gb Shuffle ("Tinker Bell")
For the record: I am female

riverfreak
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 21, 2003, 11:57 AM

Originally posted by kertong:

But yeah - a degree is just a piece of paper.
Actually, a degree ISN'T just a piece of paper. It says that you have the determination to stick with something to its completion, and that you have minimally a basal level of knowledge in your field.

Right or wrong, you can't even expect to work in many professional fields without the appropriate degree. Many fields *require* years of specialized study and training before you can even expect to make useful, competent, and clear contributions.

Finally, I have to say this. Many kids enter college with the same mentality that they approach previous schooling - that they are there to be taught. If you attend schools halfway worth their tuition and take an active role in your own education instead of just doing the bare minimum, you will learn a more valuable skill - how to think critically.

BA, Biology, Colorado College - 1992
PhD, Biology (Genetics), University of Utah - 2000
Postdoctoral research: bioinformatics/comp. biology, Cold Spring Harbor Lab, 2000-present.
( Last edited by riverfreak; Dec 21, 2003 at 12:12 PM. )

riverfreak
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 21, 2003, 12:06 PM

Originally posted by history1me:

During my friends graduating ceremony, one guy got a BA in Basquet weaving.... that was too out there, even for Santa Cruz.
Seems like that would fit in perfectly in Santa Cruz - especially if he was able to turn some of those woven baskets into birkentsock replacements or organic surfboards.

deekay1
Mac Elite
Dec 21, 2003, 02:51 PM

Originally posted by riverfreak:
Actually, a degree ISN'T just a piece of paper. It says that you have the determination to stick with something to its completion...
the attitude i got from potential employers after graduating from college was this:

pe:" ...okay, what kind of "on the job experience" do you have?"

me:" well...i went to college and got a ba in..."

pe:" yes, but where have you worked before in your field?"

me:" ...i went to college..."

pe:" thank you, - bye!"

read my lips: "marketable skills and work experience, - don't leave college without'em!"

hedonist, anarchist, agnostic, mac enthusiast and a strong believer in evolution and the yellow m&m conspiracy

Commodus
Mac Elite
Dec 21, 2003, 03:21 PM

I just got my B.A. in English from the University of Ottawa this spring. I'm applying for the Master's program, hopefully entering it next term (supposedly, it's not too late).

Some people tend to rag on arts degrees as "useless," but a lot of the technical degrees are just showing you how to analyze technical data to be more efficient. They won't necessarily tell you to question your moral foundations or the political climate you live in. Things are changing, though: I've heard that some economics students (mainly in Europe, but elsewhere also) are protesting that the economics models they're taught in college/university are arbitrary, and not necessarily the best models.
24-inch iMac Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz

Gene Jockey
Mac Elite
Dec 21, 2003, 03:39 PM

Ah, Spheric Harlot, a fellow recipient of the IB Diploma! I read my extended essay occasionally and find that almost 8 years on, it's still one of the better things I've put to paper.

Oh and then:

B.S. Biology (Molecular Biology) (2000)
M.S Molecular Biology (2002)

Both from Michigan Tech.

I now hold a well-paying, relatively easy job in the petrochem industry, thanks to all the chemistry I had to take. Life is good.

--Josh

Richard Edgar
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 22, 2003, 07:22 AM

A PHD I don't know much about. I've heard it's usually taken instead of a masters - you choose the one you want to do but most people don't do both. Not sure though
Some people go straight from Bachelor to PhD. Some do a Master too. In the UK, PhD courses are generally three years long. To be more accurate, you (usually) get three years of money, which is a powerful incentive to avoid overrunning.

It's kind of funny, after 20 years of everyone saying that anyone can write software, all of a sudden you need 6 years of experience to get the opportunity to do so.
Perhaps that because the consequences of letting 'anyone write software' have been rather unfortunate.....

For myself, I have (inter alia) a BA in Theoretical Physics.

Ruffcat
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 22, 2003, 07:50 AM

Hi

BA 1985
MA (Mediaeval Studies) Uni of Toronto 1986
PhD (English) Monash (Australia) 1993.

In one of those strange twists of fate, I first started to use a computer (IBM main frame and primitive text editor) in the 80's to make it easier to transcribe and edit mediaeval latin texts.

And now, after many years and many more computers and laptops have passed, I'm a public servant working in the justice sector!!

Ruff

p.s. thanks to my proof reader!
( Last edited by Ruffcat; Dec 23, 2003 at 09:58 AM. )

cal4ever
Dec 22, 2003, 06:49 PM

BA in Political Science (graduating this May from UC Berkeley)

JD at a law school yet to be determined at this point...if you have connections to either Boalt Law, Columbia Law or Stanford Law...let me know

wolfen
Mac Elite
Dec 22, 2003, 07:13 PM

Originally posted by Ruffcat:
Hi

BA 1985
MA (Mediaeval Studies) Uni of Toronto 1986
PhD (English) Monash (Australia) 1993.

In one of those strange twists of fate, I first stated to use a computer (IBM main frame and primative text editor) <snip> Ruff
Dr. English, Did you mean "Medieval," "started," and "primitive"

After years of torment from English majors, I must thank you for letting me fulfill this dream of sticking it to the English PhD...I can die peacefully now.

wolfen
Do you want forgiveness or respect?

Phat Bastard
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 22, 2003, 10:38 PM

Hon.B.Sc. Biochemistry, University of Toronto (2001)
^^^ note the Honours, it's different than a regular B.Sc. here in Canada (that I'm bragging or anything)

Currently working on: Ph.D. Medical Biophysics, University of Toronto. I should have this by 2006 if all goes well (which it probably won't)

And I don't consider myself smarter than Peecee users, but I do have better taste, being a Mac user.
The world needs more Canada.
PB 12" 867 MHz, 640 MB RAM, AE, OS 10.4.2
Black iPod nano 4GB

Forum Links
Forum Rules