Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Stubbs the Zombie

Stubbs the Zombie
Speckledstone
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 22, 2005, 11:38 AM

I've done a couple searches on this game and can't seem to find the release date. Everything I've found says November, but doesn't list an actual date. Does anybody know when the Mac release is?

The iMac Man
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 22, 2005, 12:48 PM

-iMac
(The PC to Mac CoD Mod Converter)

Get Mac Game Mods Here: Macologist.org

genevish
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 22, 2005, 09:16 PM

Scott Genevish
scott AT genevish DOT org

Speckledstone  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 23, 2005, 05:40 PM

Cool... When do you suppose the preorders will arrive?

Speckledstone  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 26, 2005, 08:18 PM

I got the game from the Apple Store yesterday. It's good, not quite as good as I expected, but I'm definitely happy with it. Maybe my expectations were too high because I was really looking forward to this game. It's very addicting and, in the old Bungie style, there is plenty of humor to keep the game interesting.
A high end system is a must with this one. I needed to turn down the graphics settings and resolution for it to run steadily on my Dual 1.8 G5 (1 GB Ram / Radeon 9800 Pro). One level in particular required me to dump the resolution all the way down to 640x480.

I probably shouldn't make this prediction based on one game, but I think the Mac gaming community got their 'Bungie' back... Keep 'em coming Wideload!
( Last edited by Speckledstone; Nov 26, 2005 at 08:28 PM. )

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 26, 2005, 11:32 PM

Cool. I couldn't decide between this (for my Mac) or Call of Duty 2 (for my PC). Went with CoD2 since I've heard such good things about it, but Stubbs will be next.

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Dec 6, 2005, 10:06 PM

The game is super funny. I`ve been playing too much of it lately. Well written, well scripted, silly, goofy, and good gameplay. Brains.....

MovieCutter
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 7, 2005, 12:03 AM

Must eat brains....must build zombie army and eat more brains.....I love this game...

wardseward
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 7, 2005, 06:23 PM

i wish they would release a demo to download. i'd like to get it, but I'm not sure if my new ibook will handle this game.

Duracell
Forum Regular
Dec 9, 2005, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by wardseward
i wish they would release a demo to download. i'd like to get it, but I'm not sure if my new ibook will handle this game.
Also hoping for a demo, the official website is all out of date and stuff
Macbook Pro 15" Rev: Feb08
iPhone & iPod Touch

20" iMac G5, Mac Mini G4 and an iBook G4, all retired.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Dec 20, 2005, 07:28 PM

Edge Magazine reviewed it and gave 6/10
"The comic hit-rate, however, is remarkable... Stubbs remains one of the chuckle-out-loud funniest games of recent memory."

If your thinking that 6/10 is a bit of a crap score, don't, this is Edge magazine, and they don't give high marks lightly. I can't think of one game they have given 10/10, ever. 9/10 is a rarity.

In the same issue they give XBox 360 Project Gotham Racing 3 9/10, King Kong and PSP GTA Liberty City Stories 8/10.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

Forum Regular
Dec 21, 2005, 10:16 AM

This game sucks. I would give it something like 6/10 too. But I just played a couple minutes of it..

Macpilot
Mac Elite
Dec 25, 2005, 02:44 AM

This game is fairly amusing, but the performance sucks relative to Call of Duty on my iMac G5 rev B. I have set the graphics pretty low for the framerate to be be playable.

For those of you who have played it:

How do you finish the level where you are on the farm and the rednecks with chainsaws are after you? This is where you can drive around in the tractor and mow down these dudes.

I have mowed all of them down, and can't find the ending of the level.

Thanks!
MacBook Pro
Mac Mini

benvoliofolds
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 25, 2005, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by Macpilot
How do you finish the level where you are on the farm and the rednecks with chainsaws are after you? This is where you can drive around in the tractor and mow down these dudes.

I have mowed all of them down, and can't find the ending of the level.

Thanks!
You ride the tractor down the path it came from, over to the left of the gate you came out of to incite all the rampage. Keep going and there are all these hills with rednecks all over -- don't stop, keep driving, curving to the right (I think) and you'll see a garage shed over in the corner of things. You get off the tractor and bust that wooden door down that's in the shed -- I'm pretty sure that's where it takes you to a cutscene.

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Dec 26, 2005, 12:56 PM

Yeah, I had issues on a couple of levels (finding my way around) but nothing too difficult. It plays well enough on my 12in powerbook, 1.33 GeFore 5200, 768 RAM. Wish it player better, but eh, what do you expect?

Funny as sin though.

Speckledstone  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 31, 2005, 04:26 AM

Originally Posted by Speckledstone
"One level in particular required me to dump the resolution all the way down to 640x480."
After playing this game for a while, I've got to be fair and say the above quote is not true. I guess I've got to chalk it up to inexperience or not quite understanding how the game play on the "Cop Rock" level works.

I read somewhere that game performance can be improved if the Stubbs folder is in the root level of your start up drive or in a folder that's in the root level. I had all my games in a "Games" folder inside my Applications folder. After moving that "Games" folder to the root level of my start up drive, I think I actually did get a performance boost. Not much, but it seems to help.

The box says Stubbs requires OS X 10.3.9, but 10.4.2 is recommended. I just upgraded to 10.4.3 (from 10.3.9) yesterday and noticed no improvement in performance. Has anybody noticed a difference with a newer OS?

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Dec 31, 2005, 04:41 PM

No improvement with the upgrade. But then again, I didn't expect any to actually happen.

Forum Links
Forum Rules