Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > ASP or PHP on a Mac?

ASP or PHP on a Mac?
golden_zap
Jul 10, 2006, 11:13 PM

Hello. I'm currently creating a website. And I was just wondering if anyone has any experience with using ASP or PHP on a Mac and how efficient it is compared to windows.

Under Windows XP Pro, we have a program called IIS manager, which allows me to view my ASP work. Is there anything similar for Mac?

jay3ld
Senior User
Jul 10, 2006, 11:33 PM

Not sure about asp but php works just fine on a mac. Never had a problem with it. The only problem I had was php versions. But I got that fixed since I moved my web site to a server with php5 and I upgraded my mac's php version to php5
You shouldn't make fun of nerds... you'll be working for one some day.

golden_zap  (op)
Jul 10, 2006, 11:35 PM

Hi, thanks for your quick reply. So php = no problem, right?

ok. I was just wondering because my website mainly uses ASP but I am really interested in buying a Mac except there are these kinds of small factors holding me back.

Anyone who's working on ASP, please shed some light on this. If ASP is not mac-friendly, I assume I should start converting my website... or just edit the website via bootcamp.

Love Calm Quiet
Mac Elite
Jul 11, 2006, 08:53 AM

I've been under the impression that ASP is Windows-proprietary.� If that's the case...

I develop on a Mac, but serve from commercial hosts (which all include latest PHP & MySQL at no extra charge).� I wouldn't go elsewhere.

Also: are you aware that PHP is ALREADY installed on your Mac as it comes (with OS X)?

But if you want to install free downloads of latest (PHP5, PHP4.xx) books on PHP/MySQL always describe the Mac install processes as most easiest.��

Enjoy!
TOMBSTONE: "He's trashed his last preferences"

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Jul 11, 2006, 05:38 PM

ASP is IIS, and thus, windows only.

PHP installation on the mac is provided via a very easy to use installer (REALLY easy to use). I develop on my mac regularly and upload. It's great.
see here: http://www.entropy.ch/software/macosx/php/
2008 iMac 3.06 Ghz, 2GB Memory, GeForce 8800, 500GB HD, SuperDrive
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

larkost
Mac Elite
Jul 11, 2006, 08:25 PM

Actually, PHP is installed by default, but just not turned on. This page seems to be a decent explanation:

http://www.phpmac.com/articles.php?view=225

Oh, and ASP is completely proprietary to Microsoft. There are a few products that make some parts of ASP available, but they are limited and expensive (and mostly don't work outside of Solaris).

golden_zap  (op)
Jul 12, 2006, 02:06 AM

thanks everyone. I feel much better now. lol

genevish
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 13, 2006, 05:08 PM

As far as using IIS manager, there are some graphical editors out there. I just use a text editor (jEdit at Sourceforge) and switch to Safari to view the page, but you could use something like Dreamweaver or even Apple's free developer tools.
Scott Genevish
scott AT genevish DOT org

Moose
Senior User
Jul 20, 2006, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by SirCastor
ASP is IIS, and thus, windows only.
Classic ASP, yes. ASP.NET 1.x, however is implemented in mono, which can work with Apache on non-Windows platforms.

They're currently working on ASP.NET 2.0 support.

himself
Mac Elite
Jul 24, 2006, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by Moose
Classic ASP, yes. ASP.NET 1.x, however is implemented in mono, which can work with Apache on non-Windows platforms.

They're currently working on ASP.NET 2.0 support.
Whlle PHP is open-source (and thus, free), doesn't Microsoft charge for ASP for non-windows servers? I'm not certain, but I was wondering.

For the OP, just turn on Personal Web Sharing (under the "Sharing" pane in System Preferences), and save your web files to /Library/WebServer/Documents, and you can view them from a browser at http://127.0.0.1, or http://yourcomputername.local, or at you LAN ip address.
"Bill Gates can't guarantee Windows... how can you guarantee my safety?"
-John Crichton

:dragonflypro:
Senior User
Jul 24, 2006, 11:12 PM

If you are developing a PHP site on your machine you should really check out MAMP. It makes it all pretty painless.

A bit of a heavy download, but I think you'll like the results.

http://www.mamp.info/en/home/

T

Moose
Senior User
Jul 26, 2006, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by himself
doesn't Microsoft charge for ASP for non-windows servers? I'm not certain, but I was wondering.
Uh, no.

Microsoft doesn't provide ASP.NET for any platform other than Windows. I don't recall if they ever sold classic ASP for Unix.

Had you bothered to click my link that you quoted, you would have learned that the Mono project has no affiliation with Microsoft other than using their ECMA standards for C# and the CLI.

DeySot
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 27, 2006, 04:46 AM

Me personally would go in for PHP.
I constantly try to keep 'distant' from windows and .asp.

Forum Links
Forum Rules