Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Is 3TB of Storage Possible?

Is 3TB of Storage Possible?
///Milien
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 28, 2006, 10:50 AM

I am looking at ordering my Mac Pro this week and had some questions on the Hard Drive. Apple touts 2 TB of total storage on the Mac Pro using (4) x 500 GB drives. I know that Seagate has a 750 GB drive and was wondering if those drives will work, giving a total of 3 TB of storage?
 Mac Pro 8-Core 2.26GHz Xeon | 12GB RAM | 2.5TB HDD | ATI Radeon HD 4870 | 24" LED Cinema Display
 Mac mini [Unibody] 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo | 8GB RAM | 500GB Seagate Momentus XT Hybrid HDD | 24" LED Cinema Display
 MacBook Air 1.6GHz Core 2 Duo | 4GB RAM | 256GB SDD
Too many accessories to list...

OreoCookie
Aug 28, 2006, 11:04 AM

Yes, they will work.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

awcopus
Mac Elite
Aug 28, 2006, 11:09 AM

OreoCookie is right.

But you should still read the report on 750GB HD use in Mac Pros at barefeats.com. There are clear pros and cons to certain uses and the Seagate drives behaved oddly in some RAID configs.

It would/will be great to see 3rd parties or Apple offer additional HD sleds so that users can hot-swap HDs into the MacPro. This would be especially useful for video editing when more than one project needs to be worked on in a short period of time.
Liberty lover since birth. Mac devotee since 1986.

///Milien  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 28, 2006, 01:30 PM

Thanks!!!
 Mac Pro 8-Core 2.26GHz Xeon | 12GB RAM | 2.5TB HDD | ATI Radeon HD 4870 | 24" LED Cinema Display
 Mac mini [Unibody] 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo | 8GB RAM | 500GB Seagate Momentus XT Hybrid HDD | 24" LED Cinema Display
 MacBook Air 1.6GHz Core 2 Duo | 4GB RAM | 256GB SDD
Too many accessories to list...

Forum Links
Forum Rules