Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > BetterTouchTool now has Windows 7 window snapping!

BetterTouchTool now has Windows 7 window snapping!
shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 2, 2011, 11:56 AM

I just downloaded BTT a few nights ago on my recently-acquired second-gen MB, because I was sick of my Magic Trackpad drag-locking even with drag-lock disabled.

Along with fixing that obnoxious little bug, it turns out that BTT has the same window snapping/resizing that I love about Windows 7.

If you haven't tried it, I'd highly recommend it. Being able to quickly resize two windows side-by-side on a widescreen display is an incredibly handy feature to have.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

P
Aug 2, 2011, 04:58 PM

Slight warning, though: BTT conflicts with Parallels, making the mouse control when virtualized somewhat unreliable. I ended up disabling it when I noticed (or rather, BTT told me), because I found that I was mostly playing with it rather than doing anything useful.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Salsa
Forum Regular
Aug 2, 2011, 06:13 PM

BTT also conflicts with VLC. I use it anyway. I use a four finger click to close the front window or tab in every app. I use a five finger swipe in Safari to switch to a different tab.

What are drag-lock and window snap?

shifuimam  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 3, 2011, 10:01 AM

Good to know on the Parallels thing, although I have enough computers I won't be running Windows on this thing.

@Salsa:

Drag-lock is when you tap the trackpad and keep your finger down to drag a window across the screen (for example). When you lift your finger, you can put it back down and keep dragging, and the window will continue dragging. You have to tap the trackpad a second time to release the drag-lock so you can move your mouse pointer normally.

The Magic Trackpad has a rather frustrating delay when dragging things that forces drag-lock, even when that option is disabled.

Window snapping is hard to explain - this video has a demo of it with BTT in OS X:

‪Windows 7 Aero Snap for Mac OS X‬‏ - YouTube
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

P
Aug 6, 2011, 10:46 AM

Window snapping is when you drag a window to one side of the screen. Dragging it to the top is maximize, dragging it to either of the sides means that it fills exactly half of the screen. The last bit is quite clever on a smaller screen if you e.g. want to compare two windows or just keep half the screen viewing one thing (say a video in a browser) while you write a mail or something in the other, but the maximize thing always struck me as pointless - there are so many ways to do that in Windows anyway.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Forum Links
Forum Rules