Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Crashplan/ Backblaze

Crashplan/ Backblaze
kevs
Mac Elite
Feb 28, 2019, 05:22 PM

I was with Crashplan for 2 years, and may move to Backblaze. Are there others who use these cloud based back up systems? I find they are a reasonable price layer to backing up. Only thing is I do notice is that they do clog the pipes sometimes on activity monitor, and I'm wondering if it's worth it. Any opinion? Thanks.

kevs  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 21, 2019, 03:52 PM

Anyone tried both? I am with Crash, ok except for price increase coming up.

Testing Backblaze, but has more tech glitches..

OreoCookie
Mar 22, 2019, 12:15 AM

I have tried both, although I have switched away from Crashplan to Backblaze quite a few years ago. Backblaze has a native client that in my experience just works rather than Crashplan's Java-based client that seemingly always required fiddling.

What kind of problems have you had with Backblaze?
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

kevs  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 22, 2019, 01:03 AM

Thanks Oreo, cool wondering where you been.

Ctashplan I started 3 years ago, no issues.None.

I started Backblaze, nightmare. First I throttled to much (they don't give any warning on that, and it killed my internet, ruined Macs icloud drive, had to fully bail on icloud drive, I can never use iicloud drive again for anything serious, it went haywire.

Still, after toning backblaze down, to default, the dang thing, never makes any progress, it was on track to finish 2.4 TB in a year.

But that could not even happen, It had some meltdown after that, that required a uninstall/ reinstall, to inherited state. Their email support if mediocre.

And why did meltdown happen? I don't know, but when I went into settings, my two backup clones drives were checked. But I never checked them, I made sure they were not checked for backup. That is maybe part of the culprit. I don't know. I don't think I can continue with Backblaze.

I hope that gives a good overview. Super frustrating.

(don't understand native client vs Java). I've never fiddled with anything on Crashplan. It's been completely seamless.

That said Crashplan is not a nice company as they had a great personal rates, and then bailed on everybody.

Forum Links
Forum Rules