Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 12" PB 1.33MHz vs 1.5MHz - much difference?

12" PB 1.33MHz vs 1.5MHz - much difference?
JEBB
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 26, 2005, 12:58 PM

There are both of these models, refurbs, available at the Apple Store Special Deals section, each with SuperDrive at $150 difference. Would the speed difference actually be noticable?

epsionbass
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 26, 2005, 03:59 PM

i can't really give you a definite answer on how much extra boost the 1.5 is over the other. but here's a few things to kinda help guide you. I just found myself in the same boat with the tight money and wanting a power book (ignore that i ended up with a 17in... lol) but one of the things youll probably want to get if your looking into getting the most out of your mac would be the ram. That 150 will definitly cover the ram, and a 1.33 with maxed out ram will be faster than 1.5 stock. However, if you can wait on ram for the moment, i'd say get the 1.5 and upgrade the ram whenever the extra money comes in. I hope this helps. I've been trying to get a PB since like sept. and i just now got one for xmas. Good luck.
17in pb - 1.67ghz 512
20gig hp+ipod blue case

Commodus
Mac Elite
Dec 26, 2005, 04:12 PM

The main differences are that the 1.5 GHz (not MHz!) model has Bluetooth 2.0 and the nifty scrolling trackpad. If those are particularly important to you, get the 1.5 GHz model; personally, I'd stick with the 1.33 GHz model or else go looking for a refurb 15" PowerBook instead.
24-inch iMac Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz

JEBB  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 26, 2005, 05:47 PM

Whoops! Right, GHz, not MHz.

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Dec 27, 2005, 01:46 AM

Might as well go for the better computer. I've been using my 1.33 Powerbook from the day they came out (my order of a 1.0 GHZ PBook was upgraded when they updated the line! Yeah!) and have loved it to bits. But really, go for the 1.5 and stick in an additional 512 of RAM. When you're spending that much money on something you're going to use a lot, you may as well blow the extra $150.

iREZ
Professional Poster
Dec 27, 2005, 03:49 AM

only difference other than the mhz...is the hd speed. 1.5 has a 5400rpm drive that makes a powerbook lots snappier. if it were me, id go for the extra 1.5 becase the hard drive is a big bottleneck for portables. either way youre gonna end up happy .
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

rjt1000
Senior User
Jan 1, 2006, 02:43 PM

Hi,

One more difference between the 12 inch 1.33 and 1.5 is that the superdrive in the 1.5 is 8x vs only 4x. That is a significant difference if you will be burning a lot of DVDs.

Enjoy,

Rich

Forum Links
Forum Rules