Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Ah the Hippies...

Ah the Hippies...
itistoday
Professional Poster
Mar 12, 2005, 02:20 PM

Weren't they great? It was probably the only time in America's history that people of all races and religions were accepted with "love" among a people. Sure they had their problems, like stealing animals from scientific institutions, but at least one knew one would be welcome with them.

Why can't people today live like that? Why can't Israelis and Palestinians just live together? Why is it that after 9/11 people in America would stop visiting Arab stores, vandalize them, etc? Many people all over the world hate Americans because of their elitist attitude.

And why is it that some people hate hippies?

paul w
Mac Elite
Mar 12, 2005, 08:37 PM

Because they were getting laid, stoned, having fun while everyone else was stuck in their Eisenhower uptight lifestyle.

They were eventually beaten into submission or assimilated. They didn't win.

bstone
Mac Elite
Mar 13, 2005, 08:04 AM

Many still exist and get together every summer:

Rainbow Gathering
Emergency Medicine & Urgent Care.

Busemann
Mac Elite
Mar 13, 2005, 02:00 PM

Originally posted by paul w:
They were eventually beaten into submission or assimilated. They didn't win.

freedom failed

zigzag
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 13, 2005, 02:40 PM

Originally posted by itistoday:
Weren't they great? It was probably the only time in America's history that people of all races and religions were accepted with "love" among a people. Sure they had their problems, like stealing animals from scientific institutions, but at least one knew one would be welcome with them.

Why can't people today live like that? Why can't Israelis and Palestinians just live together? Why is it that after 9/11 people in America would stop visiting Arab stores, vandalize them, etc? Many people all over the world hate Americans because of their elitist attitude.

And why is it that some people hate hippies?
Sorry to disappoint, but although that was the hippie ideal, it never really materialized because the hippies failed to take the totality and duality of human nature, including their own, into account. And although they were the most notable utopists/seekers of the past half-century, they weren't the first or the last. Utopists/seekers come and go with regularity - the hippie movement has effectively been supplanted by New Agers (many of whom are, of course, old hippies). When the New Agers get bored, they'll move on to something else (are crystals over yet?).

Hippies are hated mostly because they were so naive and tended to make a lot of really dippy music. That isn't to say, however, that the movement had no value - many aspects of hippie culture have been absorbed into mainstream culture, and a lot of it was just plain fun.

Edit: I'm reminded of a particularly compelling passage, from Hunter Thompson when he was still fresh:

We are all wired into a survival trip now. No more of the speed that fueled that 60's. That was the fatal flaw in Tim Leary's trip. He crashed around America selling "consciousness expansion" without ever giving a thought to the grim meat-hook realities that were lying in wait for all the people who took him seriously... All those pathetically eager acid freaks who thought they could buy Peace and Understanding for three bucks a hit. But their loss and failure is ours too. What Leary took down with him was the central illusion of a whole life-style that he helped create... a generation of permanent cripples, failed seekers, who never understood the essential old-mystic fallacy of the Acid Culture: the desperate assumption that somebody... or at least some force - is tending the light at the end of the tunnel.
( Last edited by zigzag; Mar 15, 2005 at 12:17 AM. )

itistoday  (op)
Professional Poster
Mar 14, 2005, 05:06 PM

Zigzag, I agree completely. I don't think that taking hits of acid is the right way to go about it. I just find it difficult to understand all these people. They're fighting and fighting for several decades now... over what?? It's rediculous. Mass stupidity comes to mind.

bubblewrap
Senior User
Mar 14, 2005, 05:17 PM

They grew up, got jobs and blended into society.
And learned to take baths.
To create a universe
You must taste
The forbidden fruit.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Mar 14, 2005, 06:05 PM

Originally posted by bubblewrap:
They grew up, got jobs and blended into society.
That's exactly what happened, in most cases. They learned that The Establishment is not some arbitrary thing; that it does not exist for no reason at all. And, ironically, that understanding gave them greater peace than they ever found in their love-ins.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

JohnSmithXTREME
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 14, 2005, 11:39 PM

I've no living recollection of the hippie days, being a child of the 90s. However, I can confidently say that we are better off without them. The few genuine hippies I've seen are very similar in a lot of ways to homeless people, and I find it hard to take them seriously.

bstone
Mac Elite
Mar 15, 2005, 12:26 AM

I can easily affirm to you that modern hippies are some of the most loving, caring, gentle, beautiful people ever. If you come to a Rainbow Gathering you would soon find out jus tthow true this is- beyond any dreams. You might think I am referring to "free sex" but just the opposite.
Emergency Medicine & Urgent Care.

bubblewrap
Senior User
Mar 15, 2005, 08:43 AM

If I could stand the stink of Bertchouli oil...
To create a universe
You must taste
The forbidden fruit.

BoomStick
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 15, 2005, 11:13 AM

The hippies here are spioled rich kids that drive Mercedes and BMW's.

All they are about is spending their parents cash on dope.

I've worked with real hippies and they were just about identical.

Gotta have a pound of dope a week to keep their "concousness expanded".

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Forum Links
Forum Rules