Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > Learning simple cocoa?

Learning simple cocoa?
Salty
Professional Poster
Aug 6, 2011, 10:31 PM

Hey all, so I'm thinking I want to make a book app for iOS, for a novel I want to self publish in a format a bit more meaningful than ePub (though I'll go that route too) and was wondering about some good resources for learning some basic cocoa. I don't need to start out with much, basically something that can display text and scroll and have a few linked pages.

I found cocoadevcentral.com but was wondering if anyone could suggest anything else?

As for my experience level, I'm fairly savvy when it comes to computers in general, I've done a bit of HTML, CSS, and I've edited a few PHP scripts.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 6, 2011, 11:19 PM

I'll let others come up with Cocoa specific recommendations for you, but I'd suggest picking a language you are already comfortableish with (PHP is fine) and learning the ins and outs of object oriented programming. Once you understand the concepts of objects, inheritance, scope, etc. learning a new language is mostly just about learning new syntax - it's far less of a daunting task.

Salty  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 6, 2011, 11:26 PM

Yeah ... I could read php ok and get an idea of what was going on. As far as writing it I was pretty lost, partially because there weren't any small projects I wanted to work on in PHP. I figure if I'm gonna start, why not start with Cocoa?

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 6, 2011, 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by Salty View Post
Yeah ... I could read php ok and get an idea of what was going on. As far as writing it I was pretty lost, partially because there weren't any small projects I wanted to work on in PHP. I figure if I'm gonna start, why not start with Cocoa?
If you don't know PHP all that well, then sure it makes sense to start with Cocoa I guess, but my point is to learn concepts, not languages. If you just go about trying to memorize syntax without understanding the concepts of the language itself you'll probably just frustrate yourself. It would be like learning Spanish by just repeating bits and pieces of things you hear on Telemundo.

Forum Links
Forum Rules