Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Any one can tell me why all my powerpc apps cannot open

Any one can tell me why all my powerpc apps cannot open
isomet
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 25, 2007, 11:37 AM

Any one can tell me why all my powerpc apps cannot open, have tried with these option and it didnt work
updated latest quicktime
inputted command in terminal

bballe336
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 25, 2007, 11:41 AM

Do they freeze and need to be force quitted, do they launch and then close, or do they not even launch?

isomet  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 25, 2007, 11:54 AM

they just simply cant open suddenly ( all powerpc apps)

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 25, 2007, 12:05 PM

So what happens when you click on them - absolutely nothing, or do they bounce, exit with a message?

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jul 25, 2007, 12:58 PM

Have you run Monolingual lately? That oh-so-helpful app offers the ability to remove the PowerPC code from every Universal Binary app, library, and framework on the system. Unfortunately, the Rosetta emulation environment requires the PowerPC portions of the system libraries and frameworks, so once you run Monolingual, you don't have Rosetta anymore.

If my hunch is correct, and you've run that miserable app, your only way to fix it is going to be to Archive and Install the OS.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Thinine
Mac Elite
Jul 25, 2007, 09:18 PM

In Monolingual's defense, to remove all of the PPC executables you have to go through several steps, so it's not as if it does it without meaning to.

Obi Wan's Ghost
Baninated
Jul 26, 2007, 05:53 AM

This happened to me yesterday after the iTunes and Quicktime update. I launched iTunes to test it out and after that no apps could launch (on a G4). I had to reboot and repair permissions with Disk Utility.

isomet  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 26, 2007, 10:20 AM

all intel base apps works fine, only powerpc apps cannot open, when you click powerpc apps icon and it just bounce with not starting

Jacke
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 26, 2007, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by isomet View Post
all intel base apps works fine, only powerpc apps cannot open, when you click powerpc apps icon and it just bounce with not starting
Ctrl-click on a PPC app, show package contents, navigate to Contents/Mac OS, there should be a unix-executible with the same name as the app. Open Terminal.app and drag-drop the unix-executable onto it and press enter. There should appear an error message, copy and paste to here.

isomet  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 27, 2007, 09:30 AM

To Jacke
Last login: Fri Jul 27 21:06:03 on console
Welcome to Darwin!
felixs-computer:~ Felix$ /Applications/Microsoft\ Office\ 2004/Microsoft\ Entourage
-bash: /Applications/Microsoft Office 2004/Microsoft Entourage: cannot execute binary file
felixs-computer:~ Felix$

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jul 27, 2007, 12:21 PM

Entourage is a CFM app, so you can't just run it from the Terminal like that. You'll always get "cannot execute binary file", even if it's working fine when you double-click it.

A better way to get the same kind of information that Jacke was going for is to launch the Console application (in the Utilities folder), then try to launch a PowerPC app and see what new information appears in the Console.

It also might be helpful to know whether the problem is affecting all PowerPC apps or only CFM apps. With some of the other apps that aren't launching, control-click on them and see if a "Show Package Contents" item appears in the contextual menu. If it doesn't, it's a CFM app. If it does, it could be a CFM app, but probably isn't.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

isomet  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 27, 2007, 02:29 PM

I am not sure I have noted correctly,I just copy from console.log

Mac OS X Version 10.4.10 (Build 8R2232)
2007-07-28 02:17:06 +0800
2007-07-28 02:17:06.499 SystemUIServer[88] lang is:en
Jul 28 02:17:07 felixs-computer mDNSResponder: Adding browse domain local.

** (process:435): CRITICAL **: purple_account_get_state: assertion `account != NULL' failed

isomet  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 28, 2007, 01:14 PM

finally fixed with reinstall tiger

Forum Links
Forum Rules