Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Mac Pro - Very badly designed case

Mac Pro - Very badly designed case
Tommib
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 11, 2008, 07:03 AM

At work I use a brand new Mac Pro which probably cost a fortune, it sits underneath my desk.

I have just badly scuffed my Prada boots which also cost a fortune on a sharp aluminum edge. I kicked my Mac Pro.

I would rather work on a Windows 95 machine that sits on my desk than an amazing computer that scuffs my shoes.

It is Johnathan Ive's duty to buy me some new shoes.

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Apr 11, 2008, 07:08 AM

So you're blaming the design for your own clumsiness

Maybe you would be better off working on windows 95 then

Good luck

Tommib  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 11, 2008, 07:14 AM

Not really clumsiness, I was just getting comfortable in my chair. I just can't believe I could badly damage a shoe on a computer. It's mental.

Cold Warrior
Apr 11, 2008, 07:47 AM

It sounds like your desk area is very badly designed, if you are in a position to scuff your boots.

Move the Mac Pro tower someplace out of the way.

moep
Senior User
Apr 11, 2008, 08:00 AM

This reminds me of the 2-displays-1-firewire-port thread.
"The road to success is dotted with the most tempting parking spaces."

misterdna
Apr 11, 2008, 09:44 AM

Sounds to me like you should be posting this in a shoe forum, complaining how easy it is to damage your shoes!

On the other hand, sounds like you should be complimenting the construction of the Mac, you can kick it and there isn't a blemish on it.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Apr 11, 2008, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by Tommib View Post
I have just badly scuffed my Prada boots which also cost a fortune on a sharp aluminum edge.

Umm, this thread is three hours old and hasn't been canned yet. WTF?

Nodnarb
Mac Elite
Apr 11, 2008, 10:19 AM

So my girlfriend and I were walking down the street today, and she drops her Gucci bag on the street. There's a scuff mark on the purse! And tell me how the street is totally unharmed!?!?!?

I need to call the city and complain, this is a very badly designed street!

{ok kind of a lame analogy - but the OP is lame too so that's all you get!}

eggman
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 11, 2008, 11:29 AM

It's not a badly designed case at all.
You just shouldn't be allowed near sharp objects.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 11, 2008, 12:15 PM

I was pretty appalled when I first saw the Mac Pro case - I lost a finger when it got trapped in the rotating knives that spin out of the side if you knock it. Oh, wait...

bballe336
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 11, 2008, 12:51 PM

Why couldn't you just put the mac pro on top of the desk as you would with said windows 95 box? I mean after all the mac pro is a much more attractive looking machine.

Aegis
Forum Regular
Apr 11, 2008, 02:13 PM

You obviously didn't read the manual. Under warnings it clearly specifies that it may scratch boots and that Prada's are especially susceptible to this. Please, read the manual before another pair of boots is needlessly wasted.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 11, 2008, 03:17 PM

Aegis, your signature rules.

You obviously didn't read the manual. Under warnings it clearly specifies that it may scratch boots and that Prada's are especially susceptible to this. Please, read the manual before another thread is needlessly wasted.

Fixinated.

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 11, 2008, 04:58 PM

The Mac Pro enclosure does have some 'sharp' edges, especially the handle (funny to say).

BTW, I place my Mac Pro sideway on my workdesk and PC on the ground.

packet of krisps
Apr 11, 2008, 05:40 PM

This made me day

[15" MacBook Pro 2.6 Ghz] [G4 733] [G4 MDD DP 1.25]

Podolsky
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 11, 2008, 05:41 PM

I can't believe you are all falling for the post............

bballe336
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 11, 2008, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by Podolsky View Post
I can't believe you are all falling for the post............
I don't think anyone is falling for it, we're just playing along.

finalsortie
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 11, 2008, 08:36 PM

I have just badly scuffed my Prada boots which also cost a fortune on a sharp aluminum edge. I kicked my Mac Pro.
Ok, from the context of what you wrote. . . OF COURSE KICKING YOUR MAC PRO WOULD SCUFF YOUR PRADA SHOES!!

that aside, WHY WOULD YOU KICK YOUR COMPUTER, unless you have WAY TOO much money to burn, after all Prada is SOOO much more than that computer you just kicked. . . be thankful its made better than your shoes!

Mister Elf
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 11, 2008, 08:57 PM

That, plus a lighter, cotton balls, and a pair of pantyhose. Enjoy.
Midshipman 3/C, USNR

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 11, 2008, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by Mister Elf View Post

That, plus a lighter, cotton balls, and a pair of pantyhose. Enjoy.
You must have a similar background to my own. Those that followed me on my path were taught to use feminine hygiene products (the small cylindrical ones) instead of cotton balls, but the process is the same.

I have issues with a "guy" who is more interested in designer shoes than his top-of-the-line computer. Tell me, Tommib, do Prada's mens' shoe designers hate men the way their women's shoe designers do? I mean, how much pain (on a scale of 1 to 10) do you put up with to "be seen" wearing these things? I just gotta know...

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 11, 2008, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
You must have a similar background to my own. Those that followed me on my path were taught to use feminine hygiene products (the small cylindrical ones) instead of cotton balls, but the process is the same.

I have issues with a "guy" who is more interested in designer shoes than his top-of-the-line computer. Tell me, Tommib, do Prada's mens' shoe designers hate men the way their women's shoe designers do? I mean, how much pain (on a scale of 1 to 10) do you put up with to "be seen" wearing these things? I just gotta know...
I guess more people will notice his Prada shoe in public than the Mac Pro, which is hiding under his desk.

Mister Elf
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 12, 2008, 12:51 AM

Gunny likes cotton balls; seems like he must get shipments by the case whenever he says "Y'all need to work on yo' spit-shines" and tosses a bag at us.

But this, ladies and gentlemen, is why God invented patent leather
Midshipman 3/C, USNR

Andrew Stephens
Mac Elite
Apr 12, 2008, 05:05 AM

I keep my MacPro on a small shelf about six feet above my desk. It's quite a heavy Mac and the shelf's a bit wobbly but I suppose I shall be blaming Ives et al should it fall earthwards and dent either my desk or me. Luckily I have a white cycle helmet (an ihelmet if you will) that should protect me from the worst of those nasty sharp corners

bearcatrp
Senior User
Apr 12, 2008, 06:51 AM

We started to use cotton balls in boot but those little suckers were a PITA so started using a diaper. Maybe he should go to boot camp and learn to buff it out. Might also learn not to whine after the drill sergeant reams him a good one and tells him to get his head out of his "fourth point of contact"!
2010 Mac Mini, 32GB iPod Touch, 2 Apple TV (1)
Home built 12 core 2.93 Westmere PC (almost half the cost of MP) Win7 64.

Cold Warrior
Apr 12, 2008, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by bearcatrp View Post
We started to use cotton balls in boot but those little suckers were a PITA so started using a diaper. Maybe he should go to boot camp and learn to buff it out. Might also learn not to whine after the drill sergeant reams him a good one and tells him to get his head out of his "fourth point of contact"!
Heh. We used a small terry cloth. Dabs of polish, some elbow grease, and tiny circles worked wonders. The current-issue tan suede boots were a Godsend though.

tridentinecanon
Apr 12, 2008, 01:08 PM

Just got a brand new 2.8. My first Apple tower since a LONG time ago. Love the design.

Love it.

Lumchan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 12, 2008, 02:18 PM

At work I use a brand new Mac Pro which probably cost a fortune, it sits underneath my desk.

I would rather work on a Windows 95 machine that sits on my desk than an amazing computer that scuffs my shoes.

The computer didn't scuff your shoes. You did!

maae
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 12, 2008, 06:31 PM

Jesus! This reminds me of a story about a woman suing an oven company, because she microwave'd her cat. Appearently it is quite normal to dry your cat in an ordinary oven?

I don't know if it's true, but it is just as absurd as this thread.

DCJ001
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 12, 2008, 06:33 PM

Maybe you can get one of the men in your office to put the Mac on your desk to help prevent this from happening again.

You are a woman. Right?

himself
Mac Elite
Apr 12, 2008, 08:34 PM

Wow. I feel sorry about your shoes. Maybe you should chuck the Mac Pro out of the window. But send a letter to Steve Jobs before you do that.

Oh, and welcome to MacNN!
"Bill Gates can't guarantee Windows... how can you guarantee my safety?"
-John Crichton

PITOU5650
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 14, 2008, 02:59 PM

Dear Tommib,
don't forget this:
all the things that are:
-Rectangular
-in metal
-laying on the ground
ARE NOT AUTOMATIC SHOE POLISHERS!
Sometimes it can also be computers.

We should implement a new road sign for you: Watch out! Some computers could be in the area!
Bye!

EricTheRed
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 14, 2008, 03:35 PM

Moral: stop kicking your Mac.

dpicardi
Forum Regular
Apr 14, 2008, 04:39 PM

I just can't believe I could badly damage a shoe on a computer. It's mental.
No, I believe it is Aluminum.

glideslope
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 14, 2008, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by EricTheRed View Post
Moral: stop kicking your Mac.

Best sign of the year so far.
To know your Enemy, you must become your Enemy.”
Sun Tzu

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Apr 14, 2008, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by EricTheRed View Post
Just when you thought a thread was entirely worthless.
ebuddy

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Apr 14, 2008, 11:14 PM

See if you can get one of these:

Sonnet Online Store

Sonnet MacCuff Pro. It screws in under the desk and holds the computer up off the ground, that way you won't kick it.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Tommib  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 15, 2008, 07:18 AM

Wow, I've really got off on the wrong foot (geddit?) with some of the Macnn community.

I've just read all the posts... I had forgotten I wrote this last week but then I saw it on the main page!

Well I polished them and they look ok again, I wrote my post in a moment of extreme anguish, and me and the Mac Pro are on good terms again. I found all your posts to be amusing, especially the sign one

However, GHPorter, what's your problem?

"I have issues with a "guy" who is more interested in designer shoes than his top-of-the-line computer."

What issues do you have? Maybe they're similar to Chris Copper's issues in American Beauty. There's nothing wrong with being interested in nice clothes, people have different interests, you'll find that most people might find investing huge amounts of time and money on Macs a little strange (I'm not saying you neccesarily do), each to their own!

"Tell me, Tommib, do Prada's mens' shoe designers hate men the way their women's shoe designers do? I mean, how much pain (on a scale of 1 to 10) do you put up with to "be seen" wearing these things? I just gotta know..."

Well I don't tell anyone where I got them. They're completely unbranded leather boots and are exceptionally comfortable. I figured it didn't matter on MacNN because nobody knows me! Plus women who buy painful shoes are almost certainly buying too small a size, many women will do this no matter what the brand.

Oh and as for the boot camp comment... spending my time running around and getting muddy with a load of men who can't think for themselves while getting shouted out by a Sergent doesn't really appeal to me.

See ya!
( Last edited by Tommib; Apr 15, 2008 at 07:30 AM. )

Cold Warrior
Apr 15, 2008, 07:55 AM

Fair enough.

On that note, I'll close the thread, since it has run its course.

Forum Links
Forum Rules