Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Macbook crashing and randomly accessing empty DVD drive

Macbook crashing and randomly accessing empty DVD drive
turnedge762
Oct 22, 2007, 12:36 PM

Basically, here's my story. I have a Macbook bought right after they were first released. It's been fine, except for a dead battery that was replaced and the flickering screen problem.

Suddenly it has started some weird behavior:
  • It would make the sound of accessing the empty DVD drive over and over, every 5-30 seconds.
  • Then it started crashing on me randomly, just becoming completely unresponsive and taking forever to restart.

Here are things I've tried in the order that I tried them:
  • Reseting PRAM - No effect
  • Diagnostic mode on the restore DVD - I did an extensive scan, and it said everything was okay.
  • Erase and Install the OS - It was running fine until I did software update and restarted the computer. Then it started to access the empty DVD drive randomly again and crashing.
  • Zeroing out data on the drive and then reinstalling the OS - At first it crashed while I was booted up under the restore DVD. Then after successfully installing the OS it worked fine until I restarted the system after the initial startup. After that it crashed very soon after startup every time.
  • Erase and installed the OS again - This time I have not restarted the OS since it restarted after installing, and it is running fine.

I'm afraid to restart it again in case that's the problem. I've been worried about my Macbook ever since the screen flickering started to get intense, to the point where I would worry about getting another Macbook if this one dies. It's out of warranty, or else I would have taken it in already.

Does anyone have any idea what the problem might be from this evidence?

turnedge762  (op)
Oct 23, 2007, 04:21 PM

No one's got any ideas? Maybe I provided an information overload.

Professional Poster
Oct 23, 2007, 06:22 PM

Sounds/ looks like you got a lemon...

turnedge762  (op)
Oct 24, 2007, 06:01 PM

Just for the why not factor, I took the hard drive and the ram out of their sockets, and then put them back in again. For some reason, now my MacBook is working.

Forum Links
Forum Rules