Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Slow SCSI Connection

Slow SCSI Connection
Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jun 8, 2011, 06:43 PM

Hi all.

Got an Intel Xserve with a UL5D SCSI card in it and two big RAID towers. They are currently daisy chained together on a single channel.

I am copying a big pile of data from one RAID to the other but its dog slow. Currently its managing about 10-12GB per hour.

The total is 2.4TB in 850,000 files. Does that sound like the correct speed to anyone? It seems pretty damn slow to me.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

reader50
Administrator
Jun 8, 2011, 06:50 PM

Only a bit over 3 MB per second. Sounds very slow ... but 850K files is a lot. All small files? Has the source array been used for a long time - ie, heavy fragmentation?

The time may be getting burned doing endless seeks.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 8, 2011, 07:28 PM

How about tracing this starting on your Mac by running "iostat" to see if the disks are being saturated, or if the saturation is happening somewhere else (bus/card, transport, etc.)? In particular, the load averages will tell you how much the disks are being stressed.

Waragainstsleep  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 8, 2011, 08:46 PM

Must have been file sizes. I think the source RAID is a temporary stand in so not long in use. Shouldn't be too fragmented. Its picked up the pace a bit now. ETA has dropped from 175 hours at the start to 41 hours. It did 70GB in 6 hours but has done a further 250GB in the last 2.

Thanks for the help anyway. A day I can live with but a week is not conscionable.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

ChrisB
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 16, 2011, 09:54 AM

I would agree. File size can have a lot to do with data transfer performance. It takes more work for the CPU, OS and disk to open and close lots of small files, than to do that for a few large files, and shuttle out a lot of data in between file open and closing.
Chris Brown
Media, Brand, and IPTV Consultant

Waragainstsleep  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 16, 2011, 10:28 AM

Turned out it was finding around 150000 files that totalled about 75MB.

Forum Links
Forum Rules