Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > sharing an internet connection

sharing an internet connection
ZSS
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 28, 2003, 09:13 PM

Hi. I have a B/W desktop runing OS X 2.6 and a Wallstreet running OS X 1.5. My wife has a PC running NT. I would like to connect them all so that they can share an internet connection, but am not sure how. Can anyone point me to a resource that can help or tell me how to configure theses machines?

I have a cable modem connected to the B/W desktop via ethernet. A second ethernet card is available to connect it to a network. I have an ethernet hub.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
ZSS

mark9939
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 28, 2003, 11:49 PM

A router is the way to share over an ethernet LAN. Just buy a router, and hook all of your PCs/Macs up to it, and you're ready to go.

Also, the Networking forum is a better place to post this thread.
MBP 1.83 GHz CD/iPod 30GB

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 29, 2003, 03:15 AM

You have a 2nd ethernet card AND a hub? You're all set then.

1) Plug your cable modem into your B&W.
2) Plug an ethernet cable into the 2nd ethernet card in your B&W and connect it to the hub.
3) Hook each of the other computers up to the hub with ethernet cables.
4) Make sure each computer is set up to get their IP via DHCP.
5) On the B&W, go to System Preferences > Sharing > Internet and click the button to turn on Internet Sharing.

That should do it. The B&W will assign IPs for the other computers and they should all be able to go onto the 'Net.

Nathan Adams
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 29, 2003, 12:30 PM

Originally posted by Xeo:

5) On the B&W, go to System Preferences > Sharing > Internet and click the button to turn on Internet Sharing
He's running 10.1 - so Internet Sharing isn't there.
I'd suggest downloading IPNetShareX. It's what I used to use to share my modem connection with an XP machine back in 10.1 days
http://www.sustworks.com

Sarc
Mac Elite
Jun 29, 2003, 03:42 PM

about 10.1:
InternetSharing is there all right ... it doesn't have a GUI though.
Follow these instructions to get it working, make sure you specify DNS's for the clients.
:: frankenstein / lcd-less TiBook / 1GHz / radeon 9000 64MB / 1GB RAM / w/ext. 250GB fw drive / noname usb bluetooth dongle / d-link usb 2.0 pcmcia card / X.5.8
:: unibody macbook pro / 2.4 Ghz C2D / 6GB RAM / dell 2407wfp - X.6.3

willab
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 29, 2003, 09:17 PM

I agree with mark9939. I tried what you are attempting do, it doesn't work. Go with a router. 9.99 for this one port router. http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...=E525-1000%20P

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 29, 2003, 09:29 PM

Originally posted by Nathan Adams:
He's running 10.1 - so Internet Sharing isn't there.
Might want to re-read his post. He said his B&W is running 10.2.6 and his Walstreet is running 10.1.5. The Walstreet doesn't need 10.2 to get an IP from the B&W.

ZSS  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 1, 2003, 02:53 AM

Thanks to all contributors, and my apologies for posting on the wrong forum page. Many thanks to Xeo for pointing that out. I tried the suggestions noted by Xeo, but it was to no avail. I'll get the router suggested by willab and try it out...$10 is affordable enough to try out.
Peace...ZSS

THE MAC GOD
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 23, 2003, 11:39 AM

So, you can use one account (or IP) and click use IP sharing in the pref pane, have your friend plug into that router, and everyone should be happy?

All as artificial as the Matrix itself, although only a human mind could invent something as insipid as Love.

Forum Links
Forum Rules