Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > oh, the minimal mac osx...

oh, the minimal mac osx...
fisherKing
Professional Poster
Feb 3, 2005, 12:38 AM

a friend sent this link , i thought at first it was a joke.

it's a "review" of the mac mini, but posting here because much of it is about the os itself.

hard to believe...
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

Ganesha
Senior User
Feb 3, 2005, 12:43 AM

If you go to the top level of the website, it should be obvious what it is.

fisherKing  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 3, 2005, 12:48 AM

Originally posted by Ganesha:
If you go to the top level of the website, it should be obvious what it is.

scary...
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

discotronic
Mac Elite
Feb 3, 2005, 01:39 AM

OMFG!!!

I could understand someone giving a bad review of the mini or Macs in general. Different things for different people. This guy doesn't even have a clue.

He should be ashamed of himself. With the ignorance he conveys Microsoft is probably ashamed they ever sent him an MCSE cert.

The Mick
Senior User
Feb 3, 2005, 02:15 AM

That site is a satirical site, carry on.

I'm not going to call an ambulance this time because then you won't learn anything.

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Feb 3, 2005, 03:58 AM

Its a joke, quite funny really.

"When I consider that a good deal of my time is spent running applications like Disk Defragmenter, Scandisk, Norton AV, Windows Update and Ad-Aware--none of which are available for the Mac platform--it doesn't make sense for me to "switch" to a Mac at this time."

Im sure its written by a Mac user.

Gavin
Mac Elite
Feb 3, 2005, 06:01 AM

That last bit is great!

geran
Forum Regular
Feb 3, 2005, 07:17 AM

Poor standards compliance: Apple's Safari web browser often fails to render MSN properly.
hmm...

... When I consider that a good deal of my time is spent running applications like Disk Defragmenter, Scandisk, Norton AV, Windows Update and Ad-Aware--none of which are available for the Mac platform ...
hmmm... this is just scary ....

Jan Van Boghout
Feb 3, 2005, 07:22 AM

If you believe Apple�s marketing department, the new Mini is �smaller than most packs of gum� and weighs �less than four quarters�.

edit: are you sure this isn't satire?

While there is a Mac-style �donnnnggggg� when the Mini is first turned on, during normal operation the unit makes no sound whatsoever. This could make it very difficult for a novice user to know whether or not the computer is on. In fact, it took our techs about fifteen minutes before we realized the unit itself was operating normally and it was the monitor that was not plugged in properly. It turns out the Mini uses a weird kind of display connector on the back that requires a special adapter if you want to plug it into a PC monitor.
edit 2: oops, didn't see The Mick's message.
( Last edited by Jan Van Boghout; Feb 3, 2005 at 07:28 AM. )

Sophus
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 3, 2005, 07:53 AM

Originally posted by fisherKing:
a friend sent this link , i thought at first it was a joke.

it's a "review" of the mac mini, but posting here because much of it is about the os itself.

hard to believe...
I found it hilarious, especially the part about the "stripped down" email client Mail:

"The little things can add up to big frustration for someone who might accidentally buy a Mini expecting it to be just like Windows._ For example, there is no Outlook Express for email, but Apple includes a program called Mail, which is like a stripped-down email client that can�t execute scripts or open attachments without user intervention._ Personally I find it annoying, but if someone doesn�t depend on emailing their coworkers vbscripts like I do, they might be able to get by with it."

In other words, if you dont depend on sending your coworkers viruses or you dont love getting viruses, Mail.app is ok.

Not to mention the picture of Safari showing msn.com:

"Poor standards compliance: Apple's Safari web browser often fails to render MSN properly."

Note, it does not point out whether Safari or MSN was the one to blame.

Whats scary is that people dont understand that its irony...
Very well written ironical piece.
( Last edited by Sophus; Feb 3, 2005 at 08:17 AM. )

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Feb 3, 2005, 08:07 AM

"But since its sleek look comes at the expense of the parallel port, serial ports, the PS/2 ports and the drive bays, potential Mac mini buyers should ask themselves just how much utility they�re willing to sacrifice for style._ Oh, did I forget to mention that the Mini has no PCI slots either?_ And no floppy disk drive?"

Satire

"This is where the first noticeable problem with Apple design arises._ While there is a Mac-style �donnnnggggg� when the Mini is first turned on, during normal operation the unit makes no sound whatsoever._ This could make it very difficult for a novice user to know whether or not the computer is on._ In fact, it took our techs about fifteen minutes before we realized the unit itself was operating normally and it was the monitor that was not plugged in properly."

I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

Toyin
Mac Elite
Feb 3, 2005, 08:51 AM

That's pretty funny. If any consumer takes this seriously I'd question there ability to use any computer.
( Last edited by Toyin; Feb 3, 2005 at 10:39 AM. )
-Toyin
13" MBA 1.8ghz i7
"It's all about the rims that ya got, and the rims that ya coulda had"
S.T. 1995

macmike42
Senior User
Feb 3, 2005, 09:12 AM

It turns out the Mini uses a weird kind of display connector on the back that requires a special adapter if you want to plug it into a PC monitor.
Oh yeah, DVI is wierd.
For example, there is no Outlook Express for email, but Apple includes a program called Mail, which is like a stripped-down email client that can�t execute scripts or open attachments without user intervention.
OK, now I KNOW this is a joke
"Think Different. Like The Rest Of Us."

iBook G4/1.2GHz | 1.25GB | 60GB | Mac OS X 10.4.2
Athlon XP 2500+/1.83GHz | 1GB PC3200 | 120GB | Windows XP

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 3, 2005, 10:38 AM

Yes, its a joke. Go to the root page and read some of the other articles. The whole site is satire.

One talks about setting the author's grandmother up with a dual Athlon system running Linux to replace her aging Mac LC III & ClarisWorks.

Another is a satirical look at the the Abu Gahrib prisoner abuse.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 3, 2005, 11:34 AM

Mwahahaha.

-t

Sage
Mac Elite
Feb 4, 2005, 12:11 AM

I absolutely love the last sentence in their Week in Apple article -- "A soft gelatin coating is a possibility for future iPod Shuffle models, ThinkSecret reports."

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Feb 4, 2005, 12:25 AM

Originally posted by Sophus:
I found it hilarious, especially the part about the "stripped down" email client Mail:

"The little things can add up to big frustration for someone who might accidentally buy a Mini expecting it to be just like Windows._ For example, there is no Outlook Express for email, but Apple includes a program called Mail, which is like a stripped-down email client that can�t execute scripts or open attachments without user intervention._ Personally I find it annoying, but if someone doesn�t depend on emailing their coworkers vbscripts like I do, they might be able to get by with it."
No, no, you left out the funniest part of the whole article, which is the fact that the very next sentence after what you quoted says this:

"Secondly and possibly even more glaringly, there is no antivirus program shipped with the Mac."

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Disgruntled Head of C-3PO
Professional Poster
Feb 4, 2005, 02:10 AM

God some of you are stupid
"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

Gavin
Mac Elite
Feb 4, 2005, 06:49 AM

You have to remember that a Mac is so expensive that some people can't afford a sense of humor to go with it.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 4, 2005, 10:51 PM

Originally posted by Gavin:
You have to remember that a Mac is so expensive that some people can't afford a sense of humor to go with it.

Not the Mac mini...

beno
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 5, 2005, 11:19 AM

That site is great! Read the article about setting up linux for grandma. I almost peed my pants.
http://www.divisiontwo.com/articles/linuxbeat3.htm
Ben

NeilCharter
Senior User
Feb 5, 2005, 12:53 PM

A very subtle site indeed.

Strange thing is that most people who read it will probably think it is real and quote it for reasons why you shouldn't use a mac!

The piece about Iraq was a bit too much if you ask me.
If I had a signature, it would look something like this

jasong
Mac Elite
Feb 5, 2005, 06:11 PM

Originally posted by NeilCharter:
The piece about Iraq was a bit too much if you ask me.
Our presence in Iraq is a bit too much.

-- Jason

Boondoggle
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 5, 2005, 07:23 PM

Did someone say they had some gum?
1.25GHz PowerBook

i vostri seni sono spettacolari

DoctorW
Forum Regular
Feb 5, 2005, 07:48 PM

Don't know why exactly, but the line about "perform the experiment yourself" really cracked me up. I can just picture the looks on the faces of the employees and customers alike as someone stands there, blindfolded, raising and lowering their hands with a Mini in one and some coins in the other, then deciding not to buy it for that reason alone.

However, I guess what the author sadly failed to realize is that you can run all those wonderful programs like Ad-Aware on a Mac simply by using Virtual PC.

ASIMO
Mac Elite
Feb 5, 2005, 07:48 PM

Originally posted by jasong:
Our presence in Iraq is a bit too much.

-- Jason

Something is wrong with you if you do not enjoy killing 100000+ humans beans, minus our own 1500 or so. I suggest you seek the closest military enlistment bureau immediately.
I, ASIMO.

DoctorW
Forum Regular
Feb 5, 2005, 07:49 PM

Originally posted by ASIMO:
Something is wrong with you if you do not enjoy killing 100000+ humans beans
I had beans for lunch.

Seriously, is it necessary to get political in this thread?

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Feb 5, 2005, 11:45 PM

iPod Shuffle:_ Health Hazard?

Reuters reports that there have been at least three choking deaths in the UK and one child in the US had to be hospitalized after swallowing Apple�s latest diminutive creation, the iPod Shuffle._ Despite a legal disclaimer posted at the bottom of the Shuffle page warning users, �Do not eat iPod Shuffle�, legal analyst Maya Talluri says parents of the victims may still be able file a civil suit against the company for financial compensation._ While an Apple spokesman dismissed the three UK deaths as �darwinistic�, many concerned parents are now thinking twice about buying the iPod shuffle for infants and children under age four._ Talluri suggests Apple should re-design the iPod shuffle, either by manufacturing the unit out of biodegradable components, or streamlining the design so that it can pass more easily through the esophagus and digestive tract._

�This is clearly a case where the line between personal and corporate responsibility becomes blurred�, Talluri said._ �A product marketed to music fans in the U.S. or U.K. should take into account the risk of accidental ingestion in its design._ It's common sense.�

A soft gelatin coating is a possibility for future iPod Shuffle models, ThinkSecret reports.

(http://www.divisiontwo.com/articles/appleweek1.html)

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

markponcelet
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 7, 2005, 11:52 PM

Oh, dear god, make my laughing stop! :LOL:

maxintosh
Mac Elite
Feb 8, 2005, 03:16 AM

Bwahahaha... that site is hysterical.

This is an inspiring book, and a powerful call to arms to follow the way of succulence. Sark's obvious succulence does not conform to the borders of her flesh, and isntead plumes out like a feathery white flame that lashes people like a cat o nine tails made of psychic tongues. Sark is wild and succulent; a piquant endive that has grown limbs and written a book about wild succulence. Read this book aloud to the frothing feral ocean - the words will escape from your mouth like ecstatic minnows that crave the silvery wet womb of the sea.

Succulent.
You have to read the Amazon.Com reviews... I haven't laughed this hard in a while.

Forum Links
Forum Rules