Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > What app to clone Tiger?

What app to clone Tiger?
Tyre MacAdmin
Mac Elite
May 21, 2005, 12:19 AM

Looks like Carbon copy Cloner is not yet ready to copy Tiger. Can anybody suggest a good app to clone Tiger with?

(My situation deems that I clone a fresh install Tiger disk from a 10.3.9 disk to a hardware array)

CatOne
Mac Elite
May 21, 2005, 12:33 AM

ASR, which is built in to Tiger, and was built into Panther, and which CCC actually uses under the hood?

Tyre MacAdmin  (op)
Mac Elite
May 21, 2005, 12:55 AM

Can it be accessed by the disk utlity? Or is it command line? I need a bootable copy (obviuosly) of one disk /volumes/Untitled 2 to another /volumes/Tiger2

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
May 21, 2005, 01:48 AM

It's in Disk Utility under the Restore tab. I think the name is weird, but all you have to do is drag the source volume into the Source field, and the destination volume into the Destination field, then click Restore.

Chris

Detrius
Professional Poster
May 21, 2005, 02:09 AM

Originally Posted by CatOne
ASR, which is built in to Tiger, and was built into Panther, and which CCC actually uses under the hood?
CCC uses ditto, not asr. You can use either command to accomplish the same task.

ditto will look something like this: ditto --rsrc /Volumes/source /Volumes/target
asr will look something like this: asr -source /Volumes/source -target /Volumes/target

Check the man pages to make sure. You could use Disk Utility as well--it uses asr.

BTW, make sure you enable privileges in the Get Info window before doing either of these.
ACSA 10.4/10.3, ACTC 10.3, ACHDS 10.3

Ron Goodman
Grizzled Veteran
May 21, 2005, 09:53 AM

CCC works fine with Tiger as long as it runs as root. The easiest way to do this is to download a little app called Pseudo and drag CCC onto it.

Tyre MacAdmin  (op)
Mac Elite
May 21, 2005, 03:50 PM

Thanks fellas... I ended up using CCC as root to clone the disk... one strange thing though... when I'm on 10.3.9 and I take a look at my Tiger disk, i can see all the hidden files like /var... andbody know why?

macmike42
Senior User
May 21, 2005, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by Tyler McAdams
Thanks fellas... I ended up using CCC as root to clone the disk... one strange thing though... when I'm on 10.3.9 and I take a look at my Tiger disk, i can see all the hidden files like /var... andbody know why?
There is a file called .hidden at the root of every Mac OS X boot volume. This file contains the names (not paths!) of folders to hide from the Finder. For some reason, Mac OS X only looks at this file when it is at the very top root of your filesystem, hence only the top level of your current boot volume. If you have a burning desire for consistency, you can set the HFS invisible flag on those folders for your Tiger and Panther drives without ill effects, but you'll need to do it as root.

Anybody know of any other ways to hide files in Mac OS X?
"Think Different. Like The Rest Of Us."

iBook G4/1.2GHz | 1.25GB | 60GB | Mac OS X 10.4.2
Athlon XP 2500+/1.83GHz | 1GB PC3200 | 120GB | Windows XP

Tyre MacAdmin  (op)
Mac Elite
May 21, 2005, 06:58 PM

It's strange that it only does it in 10.3.9... and only for Tiger volumes... other 10.3.9 volume are not affected. Tinker Tool is what I usually use to expose or hide files personally.

Gregory
Grizzled Veteran
May 21, 2005, 07:26 PM

Tiger has a new structure and Panther is confused - maybe 10.3.10 will patch it so users don't trash those essential files and links. I thought I must have done something wrong also. I use DU Restore for system cloning and TriBackup to synchronize.

Forum Links
Forum Rules