Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > System Administrator

System Administrator
Deal
Mac Enthusiast
May 3, 2005, 02:54 PM

Here's a strange one. A user at my institution came with this situation (I did go and witness it as well)

They installed Tiger yesterday. Today they had a user that was not on the system yesterday. The user was called, "System Administrator".

It showed up under fast user switching and on the initial login list. It did not have any folders (home, desktop, etc...).

It is not listed in NetInfo.

It had the same password as the user (who was an admin).

When logging in as System Administrator, the system logged in but showed nothing but the generic desktop background. There was no dock, drives, utility bar, etc... and no way to log out.

Shutting down the system the dirty way, removed the user from everywhere we could find. It was no longer in the user list or fast user switching list. However, we could still su to it in the terminal (so it did still exist).

My only thought on this was the possibility that the nightly maintenance uses this account and for some reason it failed to remove it's tracks as it usually would.

Let me know if anybody has seen this or KNOWS what it is.

Thanks

Kristoff
Mac Elite
May 3, 2005, 03:14 PM

Uh, that's the root account's long name (the "realname" field in NetInfo")

You probably ought not to have messed with it.
root must have been enabled on that machine via NetInfo.
signatures are a waste of bandwidth
especially ones with political tripe in them.

Deal  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
May 4, 2005, 12:47 AM

Thanks for the reply.

I guess what I meant by "know" what it is, I meant know why it showed up in the fast user switching list (it's supposed to be hidden). I figured it was root, that's why I thought it was part of the night time maintenance. However, I don't think he enabled root and I don't think that is necessary for root to be invoked by the system.

Have you seen this account mysteriously show up in the fast user switching or elsewhere?

Thanks again,

Deal

Kristoff
Mac Elite
May 4, 2005, 09:53 AM

It shows up on all my machines after I enable root in NetInfo

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
May 4, 2005, 09:55 AM

Yes, but he said he didn't enable it. That's what's odd about the situation.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Kristoff
Mac Elite
May 4, 2005, 02:38 PM

He said "I don't think he enabled it"

This means that he can't be certain until he checks for sure.

Deal  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
May 4, 2005, 07:54 PM

That's good to know. I'll double check with the user.

However, what's odd even if that is the case, the account disappeared from the list too. This isn't just an appearing act, it's an appearing-dissappearing act

Duane

Tyre MacAdmin
Mac Elite
May 4, 2005, 08:04 PM

WinSwitch app adds the "System administrator" (Which in this case is root) user account to the fast user switching pull-down menu when installed... not sure if you're using that... but if you are that's normal.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
May 30, 2005, 09:10 AM

This happenned to me today. I've not seen the "System Administrator" in the login window until today. It was definitely root, as I had to type the root password to get in, but same deal-- blank blue background. Killing the login window remotely didn't work, so I had to do a sudo shutdown -r now to get out, from my laptop.

Now, it's not in the FUS menu any more. Strange bug.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

theolein
Addicted to MacNN
May 30, 2005, 09:44 AM

I would file a bug report on Apple's feedback page. Then I would wait for 10.4.2.
weird wabbit

macmike42
Senior User
May 30, 2005, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by chris v
This happenned to me today. I've not seen the "System Administrator" in the login window until today. It was definitely root, as I had to type the root password to get in, but same deal-- blank blue background. Killing the login window remotely didn't work, so I had to do a sudo shutdown -r now to get out, from my laptop.

Now, it's not in the FUS menu any more. Strange bug.
If the root user has a password at all, it had to have been enabled via NetInfo at one point.
"Think Different. Like The Rest Of Us."

iBook G4/1.2GHz | 1.25GB | 60GB | Mac OS X 10.4.2
Athlon XP 2500+/1.83GHz | 1GB PC3200 | 120GB | Windows XP

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
May 30, 2005, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by macmike42
If the root user has a password at all, it had to have been enabled via NetInfo at one point.
I had Root enabled, yes, and did so on purpose. The "System Administrator" showing up in the Fast User Switching menu was abberant behavior though, as I've had Root enabled since probably 2003, and today was the first time that item showed up there. I've had 10.4 installed on this machine for over 2 weeks.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

Forum Links
Forum Rules