Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > OS Questions for the OS forum...

OS Questions for the OS forum...
teney7
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 10, 2005, 08:32 PM

Tres preguntas...

Since I just got my first Mac about three months ago with Tiger on it, when Leopard or whatever 10.5 is comes out, I have to go buy that at the store, it's not free through software update, right...? Will it be the same price as Tiger is now...?

Also, will Apple introduce a new OS when Intel machines come out... if 10.5 comes out next spring, I don't see how they could ever release another new OS just months later...?

And, finally, will there ever be an OS XI... or will Apple come up with an different name for their OS in the future..?

Philip J. Fry
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 10, 2005, 09:20 PM

1. Yes, you will have to buy it, same price as Tiger is.

2. 10.5 is due out the end of 2006, not the spring.

3. No one knows.

OreoCookie
Sep 11, 2005, 11:21 AM

1. Ditto for Windows, except for service packs, you have to pay as well for each version. Updates are also free on the Mac, though.

2. We don't really know exactly when it will come out, probably around the same time/a little later than Vista.

3. Nobody knows.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Helmling
Mac Elite
Sep 11, 2005, 11:44 AM

On number 2, my understanding is that 10.5 will include Intel support, in fact, from what I've heard it's the main reason for 10.5 to take the Intel-compatible code public.

On number 3, that's certainly going to be a thorny question for Apple to tackled. They've built "OS X" into a brand now so it'll be hard to let go of that moniker.

bowwowman
Mac Elite
Sep 11, 2005, 11:51 AM

Also, will Apple introduce a new OS when Intel machines come out... if 10.5 comes out next spring, I don't see how they could ever release another new OS just months later...?
With 10.5 set to come out in late 2006, and the consumer level macintels scheduled to appear MID-year, I believe that the OS running on them will be a "universal" version, capable of running on either ppc or x86 machines, but thats just my speculation, anything could happen between now and then

as for OS XI, we still have 10.5, .6, .7, .8, & .9 to go thru first, but they could decide to reserve those numbers for future updates to the ppc-versions only, and signify the introduction of the macintel OS with an OS XI designation to seperate it from the ppc-only versions

at this point, it's anyones guess.......
Personally I find it hilarious that you have the hots for my gramma. Especially seeins how she is 3x your age, and makes your Brittney-Spears-wannabe 30-something wife look like a rag doll who went thru WWIII with a burning stick of dynamite up her a** :)

macmike42
Senior User
Sep 11, 2005, 12:03 PM

I bet it's either going to be Mac OS X 10.10, 10.11, 10.12

or...

Mac OS X 11.0

Either way, when this day comes, they will start insisting we call it "mac oh-ess ecks", and people like me who have always called it that will finally be vindicated!
"Think Different. Like The Rest Of Us."

iBook G4/1.2GHz | 1.25GB | 60GB | Mac OS X 10.4.2
Athlon XP 2500+/1.83GHz | 1GB PC3200 | 120GB | Windows XP

Forum Links
Forum Rules