Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > PowerBook 3400 Users Unite!

PowerBook 3400 Users Unite!
milhous
Mac Elite
Sep 12, 2003, 03:17 AM

Some questions for the 3400 users past and present:

* What's the highest version of OS 9 you could run on it?

* Has anyone had any experience running Linux on it?

* Are there any 3400 parts that you wouldn't mind selling such as CD-ROM, internal ethernet and memory?

Feel free to discuss your experiences with the 3400 and if you have any advice or suggestions. I got it a year or so ago from a guy who received it as a gift but never used, thus it's brand new. Unfortunatley it's the basic 180 model with no optical drive and no internal ethernet with only 16megs of RAM. Any parts at all at a reasonable price would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
F = ma

theolein
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 30, 2003, 09:24 PM

If you can find RAM for it you certainly could run Linux on it, such as Yellow Dog. I wouldn't even install a GUI if I were you. It would make a neat commandline portable
weird wabbit

Forum Links
Forum Rules