Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Radeon & G3 15"Studio Display (LCD)

Radeon & G3 15"Studio Display (LCD)
exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Oct 6, 2000, 03:42 PM

Any one get this montor to work right? I just got a G4/500 MP w/ Radeon and I'm having sync issues with the 15" B/W Studio Display. It has an ADB connector so I got a ADB-USB adapter. If I try to install the Applevision Software..... oh boy. Gotta reformat, because the software kills my Monitor control panel and will not let me do a restore without formatting the drive. If this is teh issue I'm going to be shooting for a new monitor ahead of my planned timing.

Oh well.... Guess I'll be owning two LCDs now. Not a bad thing, just bad timing.

thag-simmons
Oct 7, 2000, 07:58 PM

I have the same problem. It's the original Blue LCD display, right? That's the only one with ADB connectors -- and the old-style pre-VGA Mac monitor connector.

Installing the Monitors control panel that is supposed to work with this monitor completely hoses the OS.

Unfortunately, the current-generation OS 9 Monitors control panel, and OSX Beta's Monitors System Preferences, do not support the tracking and sharpness controls of the monitor. It doesn't look like Apple's going to support this monitor with anything after OS 8...

exca1ibur  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 7, 2000, 11:41 PM

I got the resolution situations fixed. An ADB to USB adaptor works for the switching to play games. However the issue of fixing the tracking and other issues, seems no way around. :-( Anyone know if the new Studio Displays come with more up to date Applevision software? The latest to download is 1.7.1 which is deadly to my system. I have to reforamt to clear the error, reinstalling the OS won't even work.

exca1ibur  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 13, 2000, 06:34 PM

Originally posted by thag-simmons:
I have the same problem. It's the original Blue LCD display, right? That's the only one with ADB connectors -- and the old-style pre-VGA Mac monitor connector.

Installing the Monitors control panel that is supposed to work with this monitor completely hoses the OS.

Unfortunately, the current-generation OS 9 Monitors control panel, and OSX Beta's Monitors System Preferences, do not support the tracking and sharpness controls of the monitor. It doesn't look like Apple's going to support this monitor with anything after OS 8...
I got the issue fixed. If you use the iMate ABD-USB adapter there is an extension on their website that goes with it. This will enable the Monitors control panel to let you activate the Tracking, and etc. for the Studio Display. :-)

<A HREF="http://www.griffintechnology.com/imate/imate_driver.html">http://www.griffintechnology.com/imate/imate_driver.html</A>

thag-simmons
Oct 14, 2000, 10:44 PM

Wow exca1ibur! I will try this out. Although the fuzzy monitor is less noticeable in OS X, it drives me nuts in OS 9.

Originally posted by exca1ibur:
I got the issue fixed. If you use the iMate ABD-USB adapter there is an extension on their website that goes with it. This will enable the Monitors control panel to let you activate the Tracking, and etc. for the Studio Display. :-)

<A HREF="http://www.griffintechnology.com/imate/imate_driver.html">http://www.griffintechnology.com/imate/imate_driver.html</A>

thag-simmons
Oct 14, 2000, 10:59 PM

Wow exca1ibur! I will try this out. Although the fuzzy monitor is less noticeable in OS X, it drives me nuts in OS 9.

Originally posted by exca1ibur:

exca1ibur  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 17, 2000, 10:48 PM

Well, this is no longer an issue for me my Studio Display just blew out. That was a quick $1500 spent. :-( I liked the G3 display due to the composite I used it for my Dreamcast display as well. I guess I'll have to enjoy my new 15 Cenima display now. :-) VERY nice picture.

zac4mac
Mac Elite
Oct 19, 2000, 09:16 AM

Hey guys..
I posted a similar topic the other day with no replies yet, and after reading this thread, I have a question. How can you tell if the Mac is seeing the ColorSync monitor thru the USB->ADB adapter? Will I be able to change geometry settings from the control panel? I have a Belkin unit that I am going to dump in favor of the Griffin one because Belkin said their adapter does NOT work on anything but mice and keyboards.
I have a G4-MP500 w/ Radeon and an old beige ColorSync 20" monitor.
TIA, Zack

Evinyatar
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 19, 2000, 11:43 AM

The Griffin iMate works great with my AppleVision 1710 so it should work okay with your 20" ColorSync.
PowerMac G4 400MHz/832MB/60GB
AlBook G4 15" 1.25GHz/1.5GB/60GB
Athlon 64 3500+/Asus A8N-SLI Premium/2GB RAM/990GB HD/GF7800GT 512

Forum Links
Forum Rules