Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Another Ordered new iBook today thread!

Another Ordered new iBook today thread!
techtrucker
Senior User
Feb 20, 2004, 01:42 PM

My last iBook was a 700 Mhz 12" model. Since then I've strictly worked on my G4 1 Ghz PowerMac. I have a lot of side jobs that keep me on the computer evenings and weekends, much to the dismay of my bride(my office is in one corner of the basement, far removed from the rest of the house)...so to keep the peace I'm picking up a 14" 933 with Airport Extreme and maxed out RAM today after work. Can't wait! Will post first impressions of course...

ClaraT
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 20, 2004, 01:50 PM

Originally posted by techtrucker:
My last iBook was a 700 Mhz 12" model. Since then I've strictly worked on my G4 1 Ghz PowerMac. I have a lot of side jobs that keep me on the computer evenings and weekends, much to the dismay of my bride(my office is in one corner of the basement, far removed from the rest of the house)...so to keep the peace I'm picking up a 14" 933 with Airport Extreme and maxed out RAM today after work. Can't wait! Will post first impressions of course...
techtrucker,

I'm about to take the plunge and order my ibook in a few minutes. I notice you went to a 14 from a12. . .care to share why?

I'm smitten with the size of the 12, but can't quite press the send button to buy, because I'm concerned that my eyes will tire or not enjoy the smaller screen. . .yet I don't think I really want the size of the 14.

thanks,

clarat

iREZ
Professional Poster
Feb 20, 2004, 02:00 PM

12" isn't as small as people make it out to be. The only thing wrong with a 12" screen is how the desktop surface is smaller then say a 15" monitor at a higher resolution. But being how both the 12" and 14" have the same resolution, I dont think geting a 14" iBook is going to do that much in the department of people with hurting eyes. I was concerned when getting my PB because of the 12" screen, but after using it for a few months, its perfect for me. If you ever get tired you could always hook it up to an external monitor.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

techtrucker  (op)
Senior User
Feb 21, 2004, 10:03 AM

Originally posted by ClaraT:
techtrucker,

I'm about to take the plunge and order my ibook in a few minutes. I notice you went to a 14 from a12. . .care to share why?

I'm smitten with the size of the 12, but can't quite press the send button to buy, because I'm concerned that my eyes will tire or not enjoy the smaller screen. . .yet I don't think I really want the size of the 14.

thanks,

clarat
I can't really say for sure, I neve really struggled that much with the 12" screen but when I looked at both in the store I did like the fact that it was easier on the eyes. I do wish I could increase the resolution, remember both screens only do 1024x768. For emailing web browsing etc. the resolution is fine, but when in dreamweaver or xcode I find myself wanting more real estate(my desktop machine uses a 17" LCD at 1280x1024). But I'm adjusting, and since I really didn't need the portability or light weight I think it made the most sense for me. Plus my wife has some eye difficulties and she used to struggle a bit with the 12".
Other than that I love the new iBook, typing this on it now. I love the new look to the keyboard and plastics. The keyboard feels more solid than previous models. I'm finding a little adjustment is required with typing, Since it's the same size keyboard as the 12" but there's extra "real estate" on either side I find myself hitting caps lock when going for the A key, tab when going for Q, etc. I'm off to version tracker to get some utility to disable that darn caps lock key!
If you have any specific questions let me know. Can you get to a store and check both models out in person? Do you really need it for portability? If so I wouldn't hesitate to get the 12". The 14" is obviously larger and about a pound heavier.
Either way these are great machines, I have no regrets taking the plunge.

PS. And thankfully so far the screen is perfect...

djohnson
Professional Poster
Feb 21, 2004, 12:40 PM

I was going to get an iBook 12"... but then they changed the rules at work and I cannot take it there...

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 21, 2004, 12:44 PM

Originally posted by iREZ:
...But being how both the 12" and 14" have the same resolution, I dont think geting a 14" iBook is going to do that much in the department of people with hurting eyes....
lets think about this. the 12" screen is 14% smaller corner to corner than a 14" screen- therefore, all the text and everything is physically 14% smaller than on a 12" sounds like a difference in squinting to me.

thats all.
p.s. i love my 14"

techtrucker  (op)
Senior User
Feb 21, 2004, 04:55 PM

I've been on this iBook all day installing, updating etc. I really love it, no regrets at all. Sitting in the dining room enjoying broadband via Airport Extreme, wireless printing, playing iTunes songs from my desktop machine via Rendevous...life is good!

AleroLeanne
Forum Regular
Feb 22, 2004, 02:57 AM

I love these threads! Will you post some pictures, techtrucker?

I'm still saving for my iBook, so I need some new pics to get me by.

233mhz iMac � 1.2ghz iBook G4 � 4gig Pink iPod mini "sweet pea"

ClaraT
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 22, 2004, 09:42 AM

Originally posted by AleroLeanne:
I love these threads! Will you post some pictures, techtrucker?

I'm still saving for my iBook, so I need some new pics to get me by.
Yea, these threads have been wonderful.

I pressed the green "order" button on the Apple Store on Friday and my 12", 40GB, bluetooth equipped ibook is in "open" status. Woohoo!! I went with the 12" because, well. . . I could. Although I work from home and for the most part I'm at my desk, the idea of packing up, picking up and going just feels so liberating.

Several of you wisely advised to check the comparison of the two at the Apple store--which I did. I've decided if I need to boost the size of the font on a web page or an email it's just a quick flick of the "preztel" key and the + sign and viola! things look bigger.

Now to get the extra ram in time to install. Again these threads have helped me here. . .I'm ordering from Crucial. Does anybody know the part no. for the ram I would buy--the website is a bit confusing to me?

So, I'm anxiously awaiting the arrival of the new "freedom" machine. . . .ahhh! I love the feel of opening a brand new box . . .

cheers,

ClaraT

ccsccs7
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 22, 2004, 10:45 AM

�I'm ordering from Crucial. Does anybody know the part no. for the ram I would buy--the website is a bit confusing to me?�
If you follow the directions in the box on Crucial's Site where it says "Confused about which memory upgrade you need?" in the middle of the page, you should be good. I assume you're getting a new 12" G4 iBook, if so, you'd choose "iBook (G4 800 MHz)" as your model when promted. Then, you just pick the size that you want/need.
12" Powerbook 1.5GHz/SuperDrive, 1.25GB Ram, 80GB HD, Airport Extreme, Mac OS X 10.4.11 Tiger
iBook (Late 2001)600MHz/Combo, 640MB RAM, 20GB HD, Airport, Mac OS X 10.3.9 Panther — web server

iREZ
Professional Poster
Feb 22, 2004, 01:12 PM

Dont you love how Crucial made it soooo easy to order RAM. No worrying about which is right or wrong, just a few clicks and thats it. Thank You Crucial.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

techtrucker  (op)
Senior User
Feb 22, 2004, 06:43 PM

Yea, these threads have been wonderful.

I pressed the green "order" button on the Apple Store on Friday and my 12", 40GB, bluetooth equipped ibook is in "open" status. Woohoo!! I went with the 12" because, well. . . I could. Although I work from home and for the most part I'm at my desk, the idea of packing up, picking up and going just feels so liberating.

Several of you wisely advised to check the comparison of the two at the Apple store--which I did. I've decided if I need to boost the size of the font on a web page or an email it's just a quick flick of the "preztel" key and the + sign and viola! things look bigger.

Now to get the extra ram in time to install. Again these threads have helped me here. . .I'm ordering from Crucial. Does anybody know the part no. for the ram I would buy--the website is a bit confusing to me?

So, I'm anxiously awaiting the arrival of the new "freedom" machine. . . .ahhh! I love the feel of opening a brand new box . . .

cheers,

ClaraT
Conrgats! Wise choice you made there, and you're seemingly comfortable with your decision, so all the better. Now the tough part is going to be waiting, hope it's not too long.
Posting some pics in a little while...

techtrucker  (op)
Senior User
Feb 22, 2004, 08:26 PM

Here's a few pics, taken with my lame *ss 1.3 MP digicam, next aquisition is a 5 MP camera!

techtrucker  (op)
Senior User
Feb 22, 2004, 08:28 PM

That's a MacAlly mini wireless mouse, works great. And for those of you who enjoy adult beverages that's a glass of a nice dry Chardonnay...
The main thing is I'm out of the dungeon and out amongst the living.

AleroLeanne
Forum Regular
Feb 23, 2004, 10:28 AM

Verrry nice! Thanks for posting the pics!

techtrucker  (op)
Senior User
Feb 23, 2004, 02:18 PM

No problem! Glad I finally made the purchase, I'm having a blast...

SmilesDavis
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 25, 2004, 12:10 AM

I think I must cease from viewing these threads...It's torture!

tomacwhite
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 25, 2004, 08:01 AM

I got mine (12/60GB/BT/AP256) last Friday, and I love it. My first Mac since a G3 DV400 SE Slot loading iMac..

The problem so far has been the crucial memory which has been causing crashing.. But thats not the iBooks fault, and I have gone back to standard RAM until the replacement RAM comes back..

It so nice to use though. Sitting downstairs on a comfy seat, lying on your bed surfing the net, using apps etc, its great. Wireless is amazing, so impressive! I thought I'd lose packets when downstairs (with the router being upstairs), but it stayed on full signal 99% of the time and even if it dropped it was stil downloading at a rapid rate. Superb.

I though 12" might be too small, but really its not.

I'll post some pics up later today if you like..

dustrho
Forum Regular
Feb 25, 2004, 02:59 PM

Originally posted by tomacwhite:
I'll post some pics up later today if you like..
Please do. I would love to see your little beauty.

Chris Rhoads / Forum Admin & Webmaster of Sandtroopers.com

tomacwhite
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 25, 2004, 04:52 PM

OK here goes. They aren't great, but you get the general idea

AleroLeanne
Forum Regular
Feb 25, 2004, 10:07 PM

Nice pics. I take it that's a bluetooth mouse.

Do the corded Apple mice look this way too. I have a white pro Apple mouse, but it looks like it has a white inside base with a tall clear plastic shell around it...quite different then the one in the pic above. Did Apple change the design?

tomacwhite
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 26, 2004, 04:50 AM

Yeah its a Pro Wireless mouse.

I havent seen a wired Pro mouse for a few years now, so I don't know if they look the same as the Bluetooth ones.

ClaraT
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 26, 2004, 10:13 AM

That's a MacAlly mini wireless mouse, works great. And for those of you who enjoy adult beverages that's a glass of a nice dry Chardonnay...
The main thing is I'm out of the dungeon and out amongst the living.

Woohoo!! Been checking that FedEx tracking site and my ibook is on "on the truck to be delivered". If it wasn't 9am here in DC I'd be toasting that Chardonnay of yours with a good Shiraz

Reading (and seeing the pics) on these threads have pumped me up and it sounds like everyone is just so pleased with their ibooks.

I've been reading other posts re: battery calibration and battery use and am imaging that the Apple instructions will guide me in how to best start using the new computer but if anyone wants to throw some suggestions my way, please do. I'd be interested in how some of you have had the best success in setting up your ibooks.

Also, now don't slam me, I'm not into games, so can someone tell me how to keep them from being installed?. . .I'd rather save the space for other stuff.

And I'll head over to the software forum for these questions, but any directions on working with my old documents and programs that are in 9.1 from my old G3. . .I know there's something called "Classic" on the ibook.

Will tune in later and let you know it's out of the box.

clara T

tomacwhite
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 26, 2004, 10:52 AM

Clara, Yeah Battery Cal. is all explained in the manual, but its really easy to do.

My (and I imagine most other peoples) iBooks coming partially charged. What you have to do is charge the battery until the orange charge light changes to green (this wont take long very first time), then run the iBook (from battery) until it goes into sleep mode. This means the battery is totally flat. From there, fully charge it until the light goes green again..

From then you can charge it as much and as little as you like, just like modern mobile phone batterys.

Panther:
Most people recommend doing a full system format and reinstalling Panther and other apps as the factory image they install on your HDD may not be 100% stable..

This is easy to do.. Insert software Install CD1, and reboot holding down 'C'. This is backwards from my old iMac where it was the software Restore CDs you used. But they are now used for installing Works, Tony Hawks (why you'd want to is another matter), and other apps.

When installing Panther, if you goto the Custom Install section, and tell it to not install additional languages - this saves a lot of space. I also told it to not install any printer drivers aswell.

Hope this helps,
Tomac.

nobitacu
Mac Elite
Feb 26, 2004, 10:54 AM

Originally posted by tomacwhite:
Yeah its a Pro Wireless mouse.

I havent seen a wired Pro mouse for a few years now, so I don't know if they look the same as the Bluetooth ones.
Yes, it looks different. The wired Apple mouse has a thick clear plastic over the white base on the inside. While the Bluetooth mouse doesn't have that thick clear plastic over the top, it's a thin one.

Ming
A Proud Mac User Since: 03/24/03
Apple Computer: MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3 GB Memory, 120 GB HD

AleroLeanne
Forum Regular
Feb 26, 2004, 02:37 PM

I see. Thanks, Ming!

techtrucker  (op)
Senior User
Feb 26, 2004, 02:55 PM

ClaraT,

You be sure and keep us posted, including pics! Will be keeping an eye on this forum tonight...

ClaraT
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 26, 2004, 04:54 PM

ClaraT,

You be sure and keep us posted, including pics! Will be keeping an eye on this forum tonight...

Is life suppose to be this good!!! I'm sending this from my brand new 12" freakin' awesome ibook. I got it today . . .one day ahead of schedule!!

Like many of you, I kept tracking the fed ex every so often. (I ordered it Friday. . .it was suppose to be here tomorrow 2/27 and wham!this morning when I logged on it said it was in DC and on the truck. I was at my pick up address just moments after it arrived.

First and foremost it's so wonderfully quiet. . .I had been enduring my old imac's grinding HD and loud fan--all that noise caused me to dread logging on.

I had been concerned about the size 12 vs 14. . .I just love it. Many of you were absolutely right--the text is no problem--it's so beautifully designed. It took me a while to get my email accounts configured, but it's just so enjoyable being on this beauty that I didn't mind.

So far I've just followed the instructions up to page 19 of the getting started manual--haven't even cracked open the CDs, so I don't know if I even need to use them. Seems like it's all here as promised. . .or are the other goodies on these like iLife because I'm not finding it on the HD? I recall someone else saying they didn't get their iLife 04.

Mmmmm you want pics? Well maybe once I install my Palm OS I can download some from the Zire 71 but I can't promise quality.

I'm sure I'll have more to share and ask along the way. . .but mainly thanks everyone. . .all your input has helped me get a great new experience going.

Oh, I forgot to mention. . .my memory from Crucial arrived today as well. . .but this puppy is zipping along so fast it's hard to believe I'll need more--but I'll heed your advice and install the 512 soon.

I'm heading to Philly tomorrow for a weekend conference and well, you know what I'm packing!! The timing is perfect.

Woohoo!!

clara t

techtrucker  (op)
Senior User
Feb 26, 2004, 05:45 PM

Congrats Clara! You're going to love your new toy.
Look around for the iApps in the Application folder, when I got mine last week iLife was preinstalled.
Will toast you tonight with the first glass of wine...while working on the iBook of course!

ccsccs7
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 26, 2004, 07:01 PM

All you folks with your new "super fast" iBooks. :-\ Well, I'm glad for you, especially knowing you love them so much.
12" Powerbook 1.5GHz/SuperDrive, 1.25GB Ram, 80GB HD, Airport Extreme, Mac OS X 10.4.11 Tiger
iBook (Late 2001)600MHz/Combo, 640MB RAM, 20GB HD, Airport, Mac OS X 10.3.9 Panther — web server

grae_a
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 26, 2004, 07:54 PM

I don't know whether to be happy for you guys or twisted and bitter for myself.
I ordered a refurb 933Mhz iBook on the 4th of this month and it still isn't here. After emailing Apple I was told that I had only been able to place the order due to a systems error and that there were actually none in stock, so now I must wait and be endlessly tormented by those beautiful pictures as I wait
Hopefully when it arrives I'll post some of my own

G

Forum Links
Forum Rules