Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Get the 15" 1.25 or wait for the next revision

Get the 15" 1.25 or wait for the next revision
Thread Tools
shadowofleaves
Junior Member
Join Date: Nov 2003
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 13, 2004, 03:27 AM
 
I'm selling my Titanium...
http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...hreadid=201724

wondering if i should wait for the next revision at the expense of more depreciation or just go for it?

liked to hear your thoughts
     
Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Arizona
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 13, 2004, 03:49 AM
 
As always: Do you need the new PowerBook now? Can you wait?

If you don't and you can, then you'd might as well sit back for the next revision. But if you need it now, and you want it now, buy it now. It will be just as good of a notebook even if new ones do come out soon.

And its not like any new models that may come out are going to eclipse the 1.25. The G4 hasn't exactly been improving by leaps and bounds in the past months, in fact it has pretty much ground to a hault. I doubt Apple could release a PowerBook with a clock speed of anything higher than 1.5GHz.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er
     
shadowofleaves  (op)
Junior Member
Join Date: Nov 2003
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 13, 2004, 03:57 AM
 
thats the thing
my ti is only 6 months old
im just in a unique position to get a new laptop
my only arguement for not waiting would be the increased depreciation...

i definelty dont need a new laptop by any means, but i do want one
     
pete
Mac Elite
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: New York
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 13, 2004, 09:55 AM
 
if you don't need one, the sell your titanium before it depreciates more and wait until the next revision of the pb g4 in the not-so-distant future.

That way you get as much as you can for your titanium and can get the better machine in a few months. SInce you don't need one, no need to hurry.
     
hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: May 2001
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 13, 2004, 11:47 AM
 
I'm pretty sure there is an update to the powerbooks pretty soon. As soon as sometime this month! If not, most definitely some time in mid-March.

Don't count on G5 powerbooks though. Just speed bumps and some specs updates.
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.
     
pete
Mac Elite
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: New York
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 13, 2004, 12:26 PM
 
A few weeks ago I got an email from a friend who works at an apple store. It was about their quarterly employee promotions/rebates. The machines listed are usually the ones that are about to be discontinued/upgraded. The 15 inch was not one of them, but the 17 and 12 inch were. It doesn't always mean this, but it might be an indicator....

I'd think that the 17 inch will be upgraded before the 15 as it's currently Apple's most powerful laptop.
     
toshigen
Junior Member
Join Date: Mar 2001
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 13, 2004, 12:28 PM
 
Sounds like you don't need one right now, so wait.

I think the next Powerbooks will be G5's, despite the fact that a rumor has been going around that they'll just be speedier G4 models. Steve Jobs is probably spreading that rumor himself, just to keep people wondering when G5 Powerbooks will be ready

If they are just G4 models, I'll be doing this for months:

     
KP*
Mac Enthusiast
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: New York, NY
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 13, 2004, 01:48 PM
 
I say wait. The Al 15" is an absolutely amazing machine, and I love mine, but it suffers from most of the common defects of this model. I'm not sure if the ones being shipped now have truly corrected the problems or not, but it might not hurt to wait till Rev B just to be sure, and you might get some extra features or speed to go with it.
     
dantley
Forum Regular
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Bay Area, California
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 13, 2004, 01:53 PM
 
I was in your situation last weekend. I went to the Apple Store and bought a 15" 1.25ghz AlBook and absolutely love it. It is so much nicer in every way compare to the TiBook 1ghz/SuperDrive it replaces.
USB 2.0 and Airport Extreme was worth the few hundred dollars I paid in relation to what I sold my TiBook for. The aluminum finish and solidness of this laptop makes the TiBook seem very delicate.

When the Rev2 G5 PowerBook comes out I will sell my AlBook.

BTW - I sold my TiBook on eBay for $2075
     
dantley
Forum Regular
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Bay Area, California
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 13, 2004, 01:55 PM
 
Originally posted by KP*:
I say wait. The Al 15" is an absolutely amazing machine, and I love mine, but it suffers from most of the common defects of this model. I'm not sure if the ones being shipped now have truly corrected the problems or not, but it might not hurt to wait till Rev B just to be sure, and you might get some extra features or speed to go with it.
My AlBook is perfect. No problems what-so-ever. Apple has corrected the manufacturing issues that popped up with the initial batch of PowerBooks.
     
shadowofleaves  (op)
Junior Member
Join Date: Nov 2003
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 13, 2004, 02:03 PM
 
selling it now, and waiting is out of the question
i cannot live without a computer

but thanks for the input

looks like ill be waiting
     
pete
Mac Elite
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: New York
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 13, 2004, 02:20 PM
 
my last comment:

1. If you NEED one now, get one of the albooks. The problems seem to have been fixed and the albook is truly wonderful - a super quality machine with all the power you need on the road (and for most people on the desk too). A sidenote, I was in circuit city yesterday and I looked at the PC laptops - they are disgustingly ugly and cheap feeling. I saw a Toshiba that looked like an aircraft carrier: 17 inch LCD and huge bulk everywhere, the ugliest computer I've seen and impossible to handle because of its size. The apple portables are works of art and perfection in comparison.

2. If you DON"T NEED one now, just wait a little bit and get the next revsion which will be the same as what there is now, but with a slightly higher CPU speed.

Simple really.

Good luck.
     
galaga
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Scotland
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 13, 2004, 03:46 PM
 
Expect G5 powerbooks any day now- I just put in my order for a 1.25 15" albook.

Seriously though, I've ordered it through the university where my mum works in order to get a higher education discount. I can expect to get it in about three weeks. What happens if it's due to arrive around the same time as a speed bump/rev 2 happens? Would Apple be sympathetic and let me swap it for the newer model or is it just bad luck? It would be pretty annoying to get it and for it to be 'outdated' a few days later.
     
amazing
Professional Poster
Join Date: Jan 2003
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 13, 2004, 07:26 PM
 
Originally posted by shadowofleaves:

i cannot live without a computer
The main argument is going to be when the G5 laptop comes out, in maybe a year or so. What you need to consider getting is a Mac that will last you that amount of time, without breaking the bank and keeping you from upgrading later.

So, it still depends on your computing needs, but there are some great deals on G3 iBooks, or eMacs.

If you need more power than that: When you look at the performance per buck difference between the PB and the dual G5, it's hard to justify not spending your money on a G5--and the 2nd generation G5 will come out way before the G5 laptop.
     
dantley
Forum Regular
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Bay Area, California
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 13, 2004, 09:00 PM
 
Just sell the TiBook on eBay and get the AlBook. You won't regret it.
     
MrCaN
Forum Regular
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Lawrence, KS
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 13, 2004, 09:09 PM
 
I'm in a similiar situation, while I am not selling a computer, I am waiting to get a 15" PB. I am not sure how long I want to wait, 'cause it would be really nice to be able to start using a laptop and dump my Windozes desktop beast. I would like to wait so that it would last longer, but how long must I wait.
Mr. CaN
     
jessejlt
Mac Enthusiast
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Portland, Oregon
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 13, 2004, 09:39 PM
 
I just sold my iBook 600 for a brand new PB 15", so you can be absolutely assured that sometime next week Apple will upgrade the PBs to G5s... I mean it's a for sure thing.
jesse ;-)
     
chrisutley
Grizzled Veteran
Join Date: Mar 2003
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 14, 2004, 09:53 AM
 
Selling a perfectly snappy and not even 1 yr. old TiBook for a Aluminum 15? Big waste of money if you ask me. At least wait for a new model fast enough and cool enough to justify this move. Unless you are stinking rich, and then I say do it now and do it again when the G5 PB's come out.
     
dantley
Forum Regular
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Bay Area, California
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 14, 2004, 01:40 PM
 
Originally posted by chrisutley:
Selling a perfectly snappy and not even 1 yr. old TiBook for a Aluminum 15? Big waste of money if you ask me. At least wait for a new model fast enough and cool enough to justify this move. Unless you are stinking rich, and then I say do it now and do it again when the G5 PB's come out.
Definitely not a waste of money. I sold my 1ghz TiBook for a 15" AlBook (1.25ghz) and it wsa money well spent. The AlBook is built better, has usb 2.0, airport extreme, and a Radeon 9600, all of which I benefit from everyday. Just the USB 2.0 alone means I don't have to wait for 25 minutes while copying data to a flash drive. Airport Extreme equates to 1/10 of the wait for transferring large files around the office. I could have gotten a PC card for USB 2.0 and Airport extreme, which would have cost me about $150.00 .... in the end, after I sold my TiBook and used an educational discount on the AlBook, I ended up paying $350.... which is money well spent.

I will be getting a PowerBook G5 when it comes out.
     
shadowofleaves  (op)
Junior Member
Join Date: Nov 2003
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 14, 2004, 03:52 PM
 
im not stinking rich
but i am in a "unique" position where i can get an al with a 5400 rpm drive, and a single 512 stick for around for around 2100 dollars
     
jstein
Dedicated MacNNer
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Detroit, MI
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 15, 2004, 02:51 PM
 
Originally posted by shadowofleaves:
im not stinking rich
but i am in a "unique" position where i can get an al with a 5400 rpm drive, and a single 512 stick for around for around 2100 dollars
The real question then is, how long is this deal for you going to last? If you can keep the deal, then waiting is will be good. Or, maybe you can base it on the status of your TiPb that you are trying to sell. There seems to be a small but strong demand for OS 9 bootable machines, you may want to take adavantage of that as well. As long as you can save face on the deal wait. If not go ahead you will not be dissappointed with purchased it is an excellent machine.
     
shadowofleaves  (op)
Junior Member
Join Date: Nov 2003
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 15, 2004, 10:51 PM
 
the deal will be indefinte and will apply to the next revision as well
     
   
Thread Tools
 
Forum Links
Forum Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Top
Privacy Policy
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:13 AM.
All contents of these forums © 1995-2017 MacNN. All rights reserved.
Branding + Design: www.gesamtbild.com
vBulletin v.3.8.8 © 2000-2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.,