Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Anyone getting Tiger kernal panics?

Anyone getting Tiger kernal panics?
RooneyX
Mac Elite
Jul 1, 2004, 12:49 AM

I iChatted with some developers. Two said they can't install Tiger because they get kernal panics during installation. Another said Virtual PC 6 gave him a kernal panic but he had only 512MBs. Has anyone had any severe crashes?

Musti
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 1, 2004, 01:00 AM

Originally posted by RooneyX:
I iChatted with some developers. Two said they can't install Tiger because they get kernal panics during installation. Another said Virtual PC 6 gave him a kernal panic but he had only 512MBs. Has anyone had any severe crashes?
Yes. "Unable to find driver for this platform "PowerBook3, 5" kernel panic. Some iBook users and PowerBook users are affected.

chris_h
Mac Elite
Jul 1, 2004, 01:20 AM

Originally posted by RooneyX:
nope... been running it for a solid 24 hours now... no problem installing (did an archive install) or running. seems a bit faster than 10.3
the only thing i've run into is the new realplayer doesn't work

i've only got 256 of ram... no slowdowns or anything.

zachs
Mac Elite
Jul 1, 2004, 01:33 AM

Installed just fine for me on a 1 GHz TiBook. It's running smoothly (except, of course, for the usual bugs.) No kernal panics.

SafariX
Mac Elite
Jul 1, 2004, 01:48 AM

Won't install on a Ti667 DVI. Kernel panic on booting from DVD.

ginoledesma
Mac Elite
Jul 1, 2004, 02:41 AM

Silly question, but I'm curious nonetheless: has the "user-friendly" kernel panic screenshot changed?

(Yahoo! 500th post!)

SafariX
Mac Elite
Jul 1, 2004, 02:56 AM

Originally posted by ginoledesma:
Silly question, but I'm curious nonetheless: has the "user-friendly" kernel panic screenshot changed?

(Yahoo! 500th post!)
The kernel panic I see (on boot from DVD) is the 10.1 style "non friendly" KP.

RooneyX  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 1, 2004, 03:06 AM

So that's a total of 7 people now that I've come across who can't install 10.4 because of kernel panics at boot up. Which models aren't supported currently? Is there a hack to get the installer to work?

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jul 1, 2004, 03:21 AM

Yes there is. And by posting it I will lock this thread (no support threads).

To install it on an external HD / partition (for some reason it wouldn't even install on my external LaCie disk, so I put it on my iPod), mount the image and run the System/Installers/OSInstaller.mpkg (or similar, you'll find it). You can now install it to any ext. HD. To boot from it when the installer is done, just choose it in the Startup Disk control panel.
( Last edited by - - e r i k - -; Jul 1, 2004 at 03:41 AM. )

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

zachs
Mac Elite
Jul 1, 2004, 03:31 AM

Originally posted by - - e r i k - -:
Yes there is. And by posting it I will lock this thread (no support threads).

To install it on an external HD / partition (for some reason it wouldn't even install on my external LaCie disk, so I put it on my iPod), mount the image and run the System/Installers/OSInstaller.mpck (or similar, you'll find it). You can now install it to any ext. HD. To boot from it when the installer is done, just choose it in the Startup Disk control panel.
Once you start up on the external drive, you can then copy the image to it, mount it from there, and install it on your computer's internal HD, if you want to.

SwarmyCurve
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 1, 2004, 03:33 AM

I wish Apple would design a truly hideous, scary Kernel Panic screen. That would be much more fitting, don't you think?

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jul 1, 2004, 03:35 AM

Originally posted by zachs:
Once you start up on the external drive, you can then copy the image to it, mount it from there, and install it on your computer's internal HD, if you want to.
Of course I could do that. But I'll keep it external, don't want to mess up my real system install, Tiger's too buggy and feature incomplete to be used as a main OS right now...

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

zachs
Mac Elite
Jul 1, 2004, 03:43 AM

Originally posted by - - e r i k - -:
Of course I could do that. But I'll keep it external, don't want to mess up my real system install, Tiger's too buggy and feature incomplete to be used as a main OS right now...
Yeah, I know...that was just for anyone who wanted to.

Forum Links
Forum Rules