Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > No longer a Mac user

No longer a Mac user
Arch.
Forum Regular
Jun 28, 2004, 04:40 PM

Someone broke into my house and stole my 17 along with my cameras. I am so angry! Anyone know how I can track its IP or serial #? My ENTIRE portfolio was on there along with a web site in progress......

urrl78
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 28, 2004, 05:08 PM

If you know any crackheads that are aware of what you own I would visit all of the pawnshops in your local area REAL QUICK. Even if you don't know anyone on drugs I would still visit the pawn shops. It is definitely less of a long shot than trying to locate your Powerbook using an IP address.

Arch.  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 28, 2004, 05:23 PM

The insurance gods have spoken! I guess that they will cover it, but I have to pay 500 for a deductable....better than 4,200! I am still a bit worried about how complete my backups were.....

velodev
Senior User
Jun 28, 2004, 05:37 PM

The thread title was a little misleading.

I was awaiting a long rant about WWDC not meeting your needs, and why no G5 powerbooks.... bleh bleh bleh, bleh bleh...

Unfortunately, it was a break in. Wow, I couldn't imagine the feeling. Good luck.

f1000
Professional Poster
Jun 28, 2004, 05:48 PM

If you used your Mac to buy things over the Internet, then the thief might be able to access your customer/CC accounts via the cookies, passwords, etc. stored on your computer.

Alert your credit card companies / e-merchants of the theft. Maybe they can track the thief�s attempts to make purchases using your information.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 28, 2004, 06:31 PM

Search ebay for your machine. Tell the seller you want a serial number to verify it is legit.

There is software out there that one can install on a Mac that will "phone home" once hooked up to the internet, but I do not recall its name.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Arch.  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 28, 2004, 07:51 PM

f1000,
So should I be concerned about my online banking and things like that? Auto fill never worked on thase forms...will my cookies be that revealing?

f1000
Professional Poster
Jun 28, 2004, 08:10 PM

Originally posted by Arch.:
f1000,
So should I be concerned about my online banking and things like that? Auto fill never worked on thase forms...will my cookies be that revealing?
Your cookies in and of themselves will probably not mean much to your average non-programming thief, but they might permit him to access websites that do reveal much more personal information.

From Howstuffworks:

People often share machines - Any machine that is used in a public area, and many machines used in an office environment or at home, are shared by multiple people. Let's say that you use a public machine (in a library, for example) to purchase something from an on-line store. The store will leave a cookie on the machine, and someone could later try to purchase something from the store using your account. Stores usually post large warnings about this problem, and that is why. Even so, mistakes can happen. For example, I had once used my wife's machine to purchase something from Amazon. Later, she visited Amazon and clicked the "one-click" button, not realizing that it really does allow the purchase of a book in exactly one click.

http://computer.howstuffworks.com/cookie5.htm

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Jun 28, 2004, 09:10 PM

Arch.: Dang that sucks! I'm sorry your PB and your work got stolen. I hope they find the thief!

romeosc
Mac Elite
Jun 28, 2004, 10:16 PM

Should have had Safeware.com insurance...... NO Deductable about $120 per year!

Arch.  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 28, 2004, 10:37 PM

Originally posted by romeosc:
Should have had Safeware.com insurance...... NO Deductable about $120 per year!
Is this only for laptops? What if I decide to get a desktop? Will they cover cameras?

Mel Dada
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 29, 2004, 01:35 AM

i think that they will cover cameras. i have safeware for , a rev C pwerbook- i'm bad with dropping things like walkmans. Although i don't believe i will drop my computer because i am very verry careful with it i got the insurance from safeware to cover my act in case i drop it or it gets stolen. whoops insurance for the 1st year.
peace
mel

d.fine
Mac Elite
Jun 29, 2004, 03:33 AM

Originally posted by Eriamjh:
There is software out there that one can install on a Mac that will "phone home" once hooked up to the internet, but I do not recall its name.
Anyone know the name of this software ?

Arch, sorry about your PB, that sucks, I'd be

stuffing feathers up your b*tt doesn't make you a chicken.

Powaqqatsi
Mac Elite
Jun 29, 2004, 06:48 AM

That sucks, especially the loss of data. The Mac itself is not that big of a problem when you insurance covers it, right ? Look at it at the bright side: you get to buy a new Mac It's still an unfortunate situation.

rag on a muffin
Senior User
Jul 1, 2004, 08:14 PM

lapcop for everyone. you must get this. take full advantage of the facts your computer can connect to the internet. it works on desktops too.

http://homepage.mac.com/sweetcocoa/lapcop/
Superhero Of The Computer Rage
MacBook Pro 2.16 Ghz, PowerBook G4 12" 1 Ghz (DVI) Dell 24" monitor
Porsche 944, Mercedes 240D (running onWaste Vegetable Oil)

Arch.  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 1, 2004, 09:05 PM

This is a very nice app! Can I use it for my old laptop? I have all of the info for it, serial, IP, etc..... I'd really love to terminaly harm someone for stealing years worth of my work.

Arch.  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 2, 2004, 05:50 PM

Well here I go. Im off to the store to pick up my new 17. I hope it doesnt have any dead pixels. How is the performance with the 128 ATI card and the faster HD? I found a BTO already at a store...so I think im gonna try a custom configured one this time.

joelcpa
Forum Regular
Jul 2, 2004, 09:44 PM

This is a very nice app! Can I use it for my old laptop? I have all of the info for it, serial, IP, etc..... I'd really love to terminaly harm someone for stealing years worth of my work.

Sorry, it needs to be on your laptop already to be effective.

stevenind
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 3, 2004, 02:19 PM

Originally posted by d.fine:
Anyone know the name of this software ?

Arch, sorry about your PB, that sucks, I'd be
Stealth Signal has IP tracking even if the hard drive is re-written. Stealth Signal Web Page

I have been using it for a few years. It works as described. Inexpensive.

d.fine
Mac Elite
Jul 3, 2004, 02:38 PM

Originally posted by stevenind:
Stealth Signal has IP tracking even if the hard drive is re-written. Stealth Signal Web Page

I have been using it for a few years. It works as described. Inexpensive.
Thx

stuffing feathers up your b*tt doesn't make you a chicken.

RooneyX
Mac Elite
Jul 3, 2004, 08:14 PM

Someone broke into my house and stole my 17 along with my cameras. I am so angry! Anyone know how I can track its IP or serial #? My ENTIRE portfolio was on there along with a web site in progress......
That's nothing. Someone stole my BMW 3 series a few weeks ago. It was souped up and I was just about to change the tires and sell it for something better. Now I'm stuck at home in the heat. It's 15 minutes walk in the heat to get a coffee and even more just to buy food.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jul 3, 2004, 11:30 PM

Is this only for laptops?
No.

What if I decide to get a desktop?
Coverable.

Will they cover cameras?
Yes.

tooki

muchachotron
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 4, 2004, 02:29 AM

oh rooneyx, if only a homeless man could read your sorrowful post. and now, oh my, having to walk... 15 minutes..... for your coffee.......... in the heat!!! my fingers are slipping on the tears raining upon my keyboard.

be thankful that you had a souped up bmw TO BE stolen.

powerbook users: the chances of your laptop being stolen are much higher than you expect, and the recovery of a stolen one is highly unlikely, even with anti-theft software. if you've ever had your machine crash severely, you lost all your hard drive data, and that angered you... just imagine the whole laptop disappearing. as arch found out, it sucks. thats a significant extension of your brain that has just been lobotomized.

my advice: get a cable lock, back up your data and get insurance. the cable lock may be enough of a deterrent to stop a theft altogether (though they might yank on it once or twice, which could cause some damage depending on how much PCP they snorted). backing up your data will at least help to fill a portion of the emptiness you feel, looking at the little rectangular area on your desk that is conspicuously free of gathered dust or food crusties. the insurance will (hopefully) buy you a replacement laptop, perhaps one even better than your original. though, if you do not have any backed-up data, you still will feel lousy about the loss.

RenaissanceGirl
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 5, 2004, 12:27 PM

I know the feeling. Someone broke into my house shortly after the holidays and made off with my precious iMac (among dozens of other valubles). To say that I was extremely upset is a huge understatement. I was shaking for days to follow.

Until... the insurance money came in and I was able to get a 15" Powerbook. I still miss my iMac, of course, but I'm quite happy with the way things turned out. Now I take this Powerbook with me wherever I go just so I can keep both my eyes on it at all times.

Just a funny little tidbit about the robbery - they didn't even touch the two PCs we had in the house.

Forum Links
Forum Rules