Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Parallels with Boot Camp partition.

Parallels with Boot Camp partition.
Goldfinger
Professional Poster
May 24, 2007, 07:34 AM

I'm interested in getting Parallels but I would like to run it with my Boot Camp XP partition. I'm keeping boot camp around to reboot into windows for playing games. Is this set up possible ? Or does Parallels only do virtual disks ?

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

mac128k-1984
Mac Elite
May 24, 2007, 07:39 AM

Yes this is possible with the latest release of parallels, but only if you're using XP (as you appear to be) Vista is not yet supported. I believe you'll still need to re-activate windows because from XP's perspective the hardware changed.
Michael

Goldfinger  (op)
Professional Poster
May 24, 2007, 07:41 AM

Does that mean that I'll have to reactivate windows every time I go back and forth between booting windows and running it in Parallels ?

mac128k-1984
Mac Elite
May 24, 2007, 07:45 AM

No, I don't think so, but you'll probably get more answers from people who use it in the alternate OS forum and not the application forum

I use both parallels and bootcamp but I have two different installs as that was the only option when I installed parallels. At this stage I like to keep both installations seperate as parallels does still seem a little unstable. I've had it crash on my a few times - no use in taking out my windows partition
Michael

Goldfinger  (op)
Professional Poster
May 24, 2007, 07:53 AM

Doh, totally forgot about the alternate OS forum! That's what you get when you're a Lounge rat like me. Thanks

Maybe a mod would be so kind to move this thread so I don't need to cross post ?

AppleTalk
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 24, 2007, 07:59 AM

Yes if you have a Bootcamp partition and you use Parallels to access it, you will have to reactivate XP. That won't effect your native install of XP it just means you're validating it twice.

Forum Links
Forum Rules