Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Using a windows font?

Using a windows font?
sailor41
Jan 19, 2002, 07:43 PM

Can a "windows" font be used/installed in the normal method, dropping the font on the system folder?

It is a windows TTF I downloaded off a Delorean (yes the car) site.

After dropping the font on the system folder and making a font folder and direct drag to the font folder. None of the methods allowed use of the font.

The font icon is a TTF.

I am using 9.1 on a 500 G4

THX-B

Dogma
Mac Elite
Jan 19, 2002, 09:35 PM

All you need is a little program called TTF Converter. If you can't find it on Versiontracker, I'm allowed to send you a copy if you specifically request it - so just e-mail me and I'll mail you it back - only 100k.
Hark, I hear a robin sig'ing in the trees!
Nae, there is no sog to be sug,
or am I wrog? Why can't I sig?

dlefebvre
Mac Elite
Jan 20, 2002, 12:08 PM

You could also put your hands on a Macromedia software called Fontographer. Not only will it convert PC to Mac fonts and Mac to PC fonts, it will also allows you to modify the existing fonts or to create new fonts.
I sometime use it to create accents on fonts that don't have any. But I guess it's just a french thing.

Agent69
Mac Elite
Jan 20, 2002, 09:53 PM

Here is a postcardware program that may work. NOTE: I have not tried this software myself.
http://www.netmagic.net/~evan/sharew...ntConvert.html

Agent69
Agent69

sailor41  (op)
Jan 21, 2002, 01:00 AM

Hey thanks, TTF Converter works great.
But... I can click the font and get a sample, but after installing the font suitcase in the sys folder and testing using simpletext or word, it does not show up in the font menu.
Tried a restart, no change.

Ideas?

Dogma
Mac Elite
Jan 21, 2002, 07:19 PM

Originally posted by sailor41:
<STRONG>Hey thanks, TTF Converter works great.
But... I can click the font and get a sample, but after installing the font suitcase in the sys folder and testing using simpletext or word, it does not show up in the font menu.
Tried a restart, no change.

Ideas?</STRONG>
How many fonts have you got installed - I think the limit is 144 at the most (I think). Also, and I don't mean to patronise you, make sure it's in the Fonts folder, rather than just loose the System folder.

Otherwise there could be a corruption problem.
Hark, I hear a robin sig'ing in the trees!
Nae, there is no sog to be sug,
or am I wrog? Why can't I sig?

sailor41  (op)
Jan 22, 2002, 02:34 AM

Originally posted by Dogma:
<STRONG>

How many fonts have you got installed - I think the limit is 144 at the most (I think). Also, and I don't mean to patronise you, make sure it's in the Fonts folder, rather than just loose the System folder.

Otherwise there could be a corruption problem.</STRONG>

No offence taken. I really appreceate your help.

I have about 50 fonts installed. The original system fonts plus some that MS office 2001 added.

Yes, the font went into the font folder and by clicking the font file I get a sample that works. Just no access in the pulldown font menu using apps.

I think you are right about the possibility of a corrupt font. It was free after all.

This might be a wake up call for me to learn more about fonts. A strange thing happened today using a table script in Pagespinner, PS inserted text in the troubled font.....go figure. The font is in the trash now.

Thanks again-B

<scarab>
Jan 22, 2002, 06:55 AM

&lt;off-topic&gt;
FWIW, Mac OS X supports Windows TTF fonts natively.
&lt;/off-topic&gt;

agentz
Mac Elite
Jan 22, 2002, 03:04 PM

Hi
Don't know if this could be relevant or not as its a while since I last used TTFConverter, but last time I used it I seem to remember having to click on the 'Customise FOND...' and enter a font name in the dialogue. If I didn't do this the font wouldn't show up properly in the Font menu, but that could have been due to the particular fonts I was converting I suppose.

I got some nice fonts from Tom7's Fonts a while back.
MI5 doesn't do evil. Just treachery, treason and armageddon.

sailor41  (op)
Jan 22, 2002, 10:47 PM

Originally posted by &lt;scarab&gt;:
<STRONG>&lt;off-topic&gt;
FWIW, Mac OS X supports Windows TTF fonts natively.
&lt;/off-topic&gt;</STRONG>
OS9 is still my main work machine, but I have X on the other. Now there is one more reason amid the growing pile of reasons to say goodbye to 9. Like an old friend, it is hard to say goodbye.

<STRONG>

Hi
Don't know if this could be relevant or not as its a while since I last used TTFConverter, but last time I used it I seem to remember having to click on the 'Customise FOND...' and enter a font name in the dialogue. If I didn't do this the font wouldn't show up properly in the Font menu, but that could have been due to the particular fonts I was converting I suppose.

I got some nice fonts from Tom7's Fonts a while back.</STRONG>[/QUOTE]

Sweet..... Changing the name in "customize" works!

And thanks for the pointer to Toms fonts. They are great.

Forum Links
Forum Rules