Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Cities: Skylines - Traffic Manager '15

Cities: Skylines - Traffic Manager '15
The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 20, 2015, 12:47 PM

Well after the SimCity debacle, we seem to have a few people who have eagerly adopted this. Reposting discussion from GN&D thread:
Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
Amazing game. Strangely, the primary addiction seems to be figuring out how to route traffic properly. SimCity sort of tries to venture down that path, but it's essential to properly growing a city in C:S.

There's also the modding community, which has come up with some pretty cool stuff already. I'm currently using a Portland map with around 70 mods/buildings. As a result, my Portland has way too many In-N-Out Burgers and way too few independent hipster coffee houses.
Cities Skylines is filled with all kinds of amazing GIFs from the game. I check it twice per day just so my head can nod in approval or shake in amazement.

I don't want to lock the thread down with hungry GIFs, so I'll just link to a few:

(Image) - "The Paper Clip"

(Image) - http://i.imgur.com/BN7jy0w.jpg - I have no idea what this is.

(GIF) - Double-helix style road

(Image) - http://i.imgur.com/s5exstm.jpg - The results of a terraforming mod recently made available.

(Image) - Midwestern farming town. The reddit thread that explains this process is pretty awesome. I haven't tried to make it work yet.

(GIF) - Another uber-efficient roundabout. I swear, the European gamers are especially going nuts with the roundabouts in this title.

I thought this particular layout was very nice:

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
The level of actual road design was pitiful in SC5 compared to Skylines.
Think it might have been the Star Wars screenshot. I'll figure out how to resize.

As for the promised "must" mods, I was delayed because of a sudden out-of-town obligation. Here goes...

The MUSTS:
Clear and Bright (This is an LUT) - Gives the game a much better look.
City Vitals Watch
Traffic Report Tool 1.4
Automatic Bulldoze - Without it, bulldozing buildings is a part-time job.
Extended Road Upgrade
Extended Public Transport UI
No More Purple Pollution (Brown Grass) - Because the default pollution is ridiculous.
All Spaces Unlockable
Chirpy Exterminator - Because Chirpy sucks.
Fill the Houses - The game doesn't fill residential complexes for some reason. They always stay at 80%. This fixes that.

Other good ones:
Electricity Substation - For providing small amounts of electricity to remote locations.
Garage / Parking Lot with 64 slots - You can imagine how useful this is.
Emerald UI - A moderate improvement of the UI.
Tree Brush - Self-explanatory.
Tim Hortons - Because it's so much better than Starbucks.
DP's ________ - Take your pick out of his many building mods.
Medium Football Stadium - Because, beautiful game.
Baseball Field - Because, Cracker Jacks.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 20, 2015, 12:58 PM

Amazingly, JB, I have all the musts you mentioned except Chripy Exterminator and Fill the Houses.

I am curious how the parking works in this game that a parking lot might be useful, though.

I also spent 2-3 hours laying roads before I even let time go forward for the first time. Though I suppose you could cut an hour off since I was fighting with the controls for a while.

So far I just broke 10k peeps and am finally turning a budgetary surplus (around $2500)

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 20, 2015, 12:59 PM

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 20, 2015, 03:57 PM

By the way, between the traffic AI, road construction, mods, and lack of need of ONLINEā„¢ for load sharing, this game puts SimCity to shame in the worst way. Poor Maxis. I'm sure their vision never was for a pile that steaming.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 20, 2015, 04:22 PM

I said god damn

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 21, 2015, 12:02 AM

RECOMMENDED:
Processor: Intel Core i5-3470, 3.20GHz or AMD FX-6300, 3.5Ghz
Memory: 6 GB RAM
Graphics: nVIDIA GeForce GTX 660, 2 GB or AMD Radeon HD 7870, 2 GB (Does not support Intel Integrated Graphics Cards)
Network: Broadband Internet connection
Hard Drive: 4 GB available space
So my brand new MacBook Pro with 2.9 Ghz Intel Core i5 and Iris Graphics 6100 is a no go for this game?

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 21, 2015, 02:23 AM

I'm running on 1.7 Ghz i7 with an HD Intel 5000 (or whatever the proper name is). I have everything set to low, but the lesson here is, yes, it can run.

(I run it at low res in windowed mode, but you should be able to get it running). My frame rate is better than it was in SimCity.

Do some googling. I saw some results where people mentioned having the Iris Graphics cards,

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 21, 2015, 03:12 AM

According to this video I would be lucky to get 15-17 fps on low resolution with anti aliasing turned off. Yikes!

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

P
Apr 21, 2015, 04:11 AM

Originally Posted by Stogieman View Post
So my brand new MacBook Pro with 2.9 Ghz Intel Core i5 and Iris Graphics 6100 is a no go for this game?
Depends. Intel doesn't refer to its graphics as "Intel Integrated" anymore - they're "Processor Graphics" now. It may very well be that they're talking about the older models. The oldest card mentioned is the Geforce GTX 260, which is from 2008. Intel GPUs from 2008 are certainly not supported. An Intel HD 6100 ought to be faster than the minimum requirements listed. Could be worth an email to the publisher.

15-17 fps is not a big problem in a simulator like this. It's not an FPS.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 21, 2015, 09:56 AM

A 2015 Pro is worse than a '13 Air? Really?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 21, 2015, 10:52 AM

Another amazing feature to point out ā€“ somehow they've added dynamic water usage to the game. I made a new dam last night and as the area tried to reach equilibrium, the dam overflowed, the roads nearby flooded, and I got a huge spike in power generation. If you place too many water pumps in one spot, it can actually drain the area.

I took a few screenshots last night (including the flooded area) but oddly only my first screen was saved. The rest of the time I got a beachball and then the game returned to normal.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 21, 2015, 03:18 PM

Spamming the thread further, I also set-up my first bus lines last night. That is awesome. You can actually designate individual lines that the busses will run so you can hit routes you think people are taking. And with a mod it gives you an overview to efficiency. Playing with it almost had me putting off going to bed. I only have two lines so far and one seems useless and the other was dropping people off at the bus depot in the middle of nowhere.

P
Apr 22, 2015, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
A 2015 Pro is worse than a '13 Air? Really?
No, absolutely not. '13 Air has Intel HD 5000, and '15 Pro has Iris 6100. Pro has 8 more execution units and is clocked higher (and some other goodies). If performance is worse, it's because the resolution is set higher. Playing in Retina resolution?
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 22, 2015, 09:24 AM

Doesn't have retina. Can that be avoided on Pro?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 22, 2015, 10:28 AM

So, pro tip ā€“ use the highway off-ramp in place of one-way roads. It's ugly, but the speed limit is 80 vs. 40. Works well when you're trying to ferry industrial traffic around.

Less obscure tip ā€“ I've been having an issue with one intersection because of industrial traffic. So I deleted the connection to the main road, causing them to pick a better intersection (which did not get as gummed up).

Part of the problem, however was I placed the original two-lane intersection too close to a 4/6 way intersection that had much heavier traffic.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Apr 22, 2015, 11:05 AM

Amazingly, JB, I have all the musts you mentioned except Chripy Exterminator and Fill the Houses.
There doesn't seem to be any "secret" mods out there that affect gameplay, as the vast majority of the current mods are buildings.

I'm curious: which map did you choose?

I am curious how the parking works in this game that a parking lot might be useful, though.
Ever see the parked cars lining the streets in the dense residential areas? It's my understanding that the parking garages help clear them out.

I also spent 2-3 hours laying roads before I even let time go forward for the first time. Though I suppose you could cut an hour off since I was fighting with the controls for a while.
Do you have a mouse with a center button under the scroll wheel? That's kind of a must for this game.

So far I just broke 10k peeps and am finally turning a budgetary surplus (around $2500)
It took me so freaking long for my first game to turn profitable. I also did something wrong with my sewage, everyone got sick, and my town never recovered. I had to delete and start over.

Also, I found this intriguing:
I haven't seen the sea wall yet. That looks pretty awesome. I'm grabbing that mod.

By the way, between the traffic AI, road construction, mods, and lack of need of ONLINEā„¢ for load sharing, this game puts SimCity to shame in the worst way. Poor Maxis. I'm sure their vision never was for a pile that steaming.
I wish I'd saved it, but I read an article about the backstory behind C:S, and how the game almost didn't get made. Their funding was pretty much dependent on the huge backlash that SimCity received. I'm super thankful SimCity sucked so badly.

Another amazing feature to point out ā€“ somehow they've added dynamic water usage to the game. I made a new dam last night and as the area tried to reach equilibrium, the dam overflowed, the roads nearby flooded, and I got a huge spike in power generation. If you place too many water pumps in one spot, it can actually drain the area.
Gotta love that.

On the London map, I foolishly placed my pumps in this small inlet that is only accessible through a tiny gap. I worked elsewhere on the map for an hour, then only returned with my water supply went down 90%. I had drained it dry, and it took forever to refill.

So, pro tip ā€“ use the highway off-ramp in place of one-way roads. It's ugly, but the speed limit is 80 vs. 40. Works well when you're trying to ferry industrial traffic around.
Someone needs to mod it to not look so terrible. I'm sure it's inevitable.

Less obscure tip ā€“ I've been having an issue with one intersection because of industrial traffic. So I deleted the connection to the main road, causing them to pick a better intersection (which did not get as gummed up).
Figuring out how to route industrial > commercial traffic has been the bane of my existence with this game. Experimentation is sometimes the only thing that helps, despite meticulously overseeing every detail in advance.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Apr 22, 2015, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by P View Post
15-17 fps is not a big problem in a simulator like this. It's not an FPS.
It's a lot bigger problem if you keep your FPS counter active in the top corner.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 22, 2015, 11:07 AM

It's a lot bigger problem if you keep your FPS counter active in the top corner.
How do you enable that?

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Apr 22, 2015, 11:18 AM

How do you enable that?
Steam > Preferences > In-Game

You can place it in any corner.

P
Apr 22, 2015, 11:19 AM

Doesn't have retina. Can that be avoided on Pro?
Normally which resolution you game at is set in the game itself and then the OS figures out how to scale it to make use of your display, so if you set the game resolution on the 13" Pro to exact quarter resolution in the settings (ie 1280*800), it will fill out the display and work as if it did not have a Retina display. I used to do this all the time on my 27" iMac before I got a gaming PC - ran the 27" 2560*1440 display at 1280*720 for a pixel perfect, albeit 55 ppi, display.

(sidenote: Samsung just launched a new line of IPS 4K displays with Freesync, the smallest of which is 23.6". I'm thinking a 13" MBP with one of them will make an excellent workstation. I was going to wait until the 13" got either quadcore or Iris Pro, and preferably both, but this is tempting).

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 22, 2015, 11:26 AM

Steam > Preferences > In-Game

You can place it in any corner.
Thanks

Originally Posted by P View Post
Normally which resolution you game at is set in the game itself and then the OS figures out how to scale it to make use of your display, so if you set the game resolution on the 13" Pro to exact quarter resolution in the settings (ie 1280*800), it will fill out the display and work as if it did not have a Retina display. I used to do this all the time on my 27" iMac before I got a gaming PC - ran the 27" 2560*1440 display at 1280*720 for a pixel perfect, albeit 55 ppi, display.

(sidenote: Samsung just launched a new line of IPS 4K displays with Freesync, the smallest of which is 23.6". I'm thinking a 13" MBP with one of them will make an excellent workstation. I was going to wait until the 13" got either quadcore or Iris Pro, and preferably both, but this is tempting).
I'll do the FPS overlay tonight, but whatever I get, Crosbie should be able to replicate on his Pro, right?

P
Apr 22, 2015, 05:50 PM

At the same resolution and settings, yes.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 22, 2015, 06:12 PM

Well that's some consolation for him. Of course I'm guessing my resolution might be non-native on his Pro, leaving him with a blurry mess.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 22, 2015, 09:47 PM

10 FPS. Apparently I'm a ****ing idiot. Quite playable, though.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 23, 2015, 10:18 AM

Starting to delve into policies. There's a heavy traffic ban. This might help me with all the trucks using short-cuts through residential areas. Well done, game.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 23, 2015, 10:24 AM

JB, you need to friend me on Steam. Dakarzero, of course.

Here's a screen of my almost flooded bridge after the dam.

And here's the part of my town I've been tinkering with for most of my time.

Farmland with migrant suburbs nearby. Still working out the traffic.

So far, I'm think I liked SimCity's approach to housing/income better. I wish I could make this a trailer park. It also makes filling industry jobs very difficult because they want uneducated workers which are people who didn't go to elementary school. I mean, come on. Low income housing wanting low income jobs was much better.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 24, 2015, 10:02 AM

This game can become real discouraging when you realize something needs to be rebuilt, doubly so if you're not sure how.

My farmland has become a snarl of traffic as it grows and my solutions are failing as it reaches its peak. Basically, everything seems to be on the wrong side for traffic (i.e., great if traffic were flowing in, but most flows out) and the major roads are being avoided as they aren't the shortest path. Connections to other major roads are lacking, but even if they're added I'm not sure that intersections won't just log jam. I've hit my first major wall, I guess.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Apr 24, 2015, 04:23 PM

Here's a screen of my almost flooded bridge after the dam.
Holy crap. I know you can just back up and load up the previous save, but it still makes me squeamish.

So far, I'm think I liked SimCity's approach to housing/income better. I wish I could make this a trailer park. It also makes filling industry jobs very difficult because they want uneducated workers which are people who didn't go to elementary school. I mean, come on. Low income housing wanting low income jobs was much better.
I know this will be modded at some point, but I agree. It would be nice if you could set it as low income within the district controls.

This game can become real discouraging when you realize something needs to be rebuilt, doubly so if you're not sure how.
Which is also the challenge, right?

My farmland has become a snarl of traffic as it grows and my solutions are failing as it reaches its peak. Basically, everything seems to be on the wrong side for traffic (i.e., great if traffic were flowing in, but most flows out) and the major roads are being avoided as they aren't the shortest path. Connections to other major roads are lacking, but even if they're added I'm not sure that intersections won't just log jam. I've hit my first major wall, I guess.
That's been my biggest issue as well. I'm really not sure how to fix it besides banning trucks via district controls, but I'd really rather not do that.

I've considered making one single, massive industrial area in the middle of my next town, with commercial and residential districts branching out from there so that truck traffic keeps away from my residential areas, but I'm really not sure how it will work until I get it running. I'm also convinced I'm not using one-way streets often enough, or properly.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 24, 2015, 04:54 PM

Holy crap. I know you can just back up and load up the previous save, but it still makes me squeamish.
When I moved the damn the resulting tidal wave flooded the highways inland. Was a minute or two until the water evaporated naturally.

I know this will be modded at some point, but I agree. It would be nice if you could set it as low income within the district controls.
Low income would help. In what world do businesses want workers without high school or elementary educations? They made it too deep. They should have it split by uneducated, high school, and university, and uneducated should be the one that some businesses take in a crunch, not educated.

Which is also the challenge, right?
Ehhhh, not exactly. I could move on as it works well enough but I can't live with it. This is where I tread on starting a new town as I don't have nay clear paths moving on yet.

I'm going to document the current state of things in case I do a major overhaul.

That's been my biggest issue as well. I'm really not sure how to fix it besides banning trucks via district controls, but I'd really rather not do that.
I looked into it last night. Not ideal as your districts will usually include all the roads. Setting specific roads out of bound would have been easier.

I've considered making one single, massive industrial area in the middle of my next town, with commercial and residential districts branching out from there so that truck traffic keeps away from my residential areas, but I'm really not sure how it will work until I get it running. I'm also convinced I'm not using one-way streets often enough, or properly.
One way streets are good for avoiding getting them overrun, but I find the challenge is how you join them into other roads without causing the intersection to become a living hell.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 25, 2015, 12:43 AM

I just spent 15 minutes staring at an intersection trying to come up with a solution. This is mental.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Apr 25, 2015, 01:09 AM

Don't act like you're not loving it.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Apr 25, 2015, 01:10 AM

Oh, the wife and I are taking a quick four-day vacation of sorts (sans children) next week.

She readily agreed to me bringing along my full rig. We're going to be sitting in a hotel 90% of the time, and I'm going to be pulling my hair out with my own traffic issues. Seems like the perfect way to relax.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 25, 2015, 01:26 AM

Don't act like you're not loving it.
I'm not. Inaction is not exciting.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 25, 2015, 08:26 PM

Started a new city. Just spent two hours on a design that will probably choke and die. Will post later.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 26, 2015, 06:56 PM

I put a damn at a high current choke point. Subsequently, it backed up, stopped working, dried out the river bed and caused the flow of water to reverse behind it. There are no words.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 27, 2015, 01:53 PM

I have a booming industrial zone in my new city, which of course means traffic. Traffic always becomes an issue at intersections. More and more I'm thinking the best way to manage traffic is to create segmented zones with no shared roads, but that feels absurd.

I also wonder if the traffic system isn't a little... 'generous.' I can't recall ever passing farms sending out 10s of tractors and delivery trucks at a time.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 28, 2015, 12:59 PM

Made soem good progress on my city last night. The dam problem might be related to the game thinking the river is a lake (you can't generate power from lakes, apparently).

I've kind of gone **** it on traffic in the industrial area ā€“ it ebbs and flows. I did find my roundabout in absolute lock-out though ā€“ cars were disappearing wait times were so long. I still haven't pin-pointed what the traffic was trying to do, but the problem were assholes trying merge who were blocking two lanes, stopping the flow.

I also learned that if sewage backs up and suddenly clears, it can cause a mini-tidal wave to emanate from the treatment plants.

If I don't take a nap when I get home I'll post some pics tonight.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 29, 2015, 08:54 PM

Pics!

My farmland and outlying residential districts.

Dam wall flood

Residential near farmland

Overview of the area

Roundabout entering the city lands

Another Angle

Dam and recycling area

Sunken highway cutting through city lands

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 3, 2015, 12:45 AM

Nearing 50k pop and the AirBook is starting to chug.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
May 4, 2015, 10:54 AM

I was afraid of that.

I had to play on my 13" MBP during the middle of the week, and it performed like crap.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 4, 2015, 11:09 AM

No love for my millions of photos?

At least post your city.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
May 4, 2015, 11:15 AM

I was actually going to make a comment or two on them from my phone when you first posted, then 'NN crapped out on me and I abandoned ship. I'll post some screenshots soon.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 4, 2015, 11:16 AM

Feel free to add constructive criticism.

I'm currently learning the joys of the Metro.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
May 4, 2015, 11:41 AM

I don't have any criticism. Just two questions.

Why the exit-only ramps from the highway? Trying to keep traffic from clogging up somewhere?

I love the sunken highways. Did you use the in-game terraform tool?

Also, there is now a protractor mod that shows you the exact angle of your roads. Not bad.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 4, 2015, 11:51 AM

I don't have any criticism. Just two questions.

Why the exit-only ramps from the highway? Trying to keep traffic from clogging up somewhere?

That's the default highway exit for when you first start the game. I left it unchanged (Until I start working on the other side, I guess)
Edit: You're talking my roundabout. I think that was an oversight. primarily fueled by easing congestion. I know I added more ramps there afterwards. When I do my next batch of photos I'll try to make sure I capture the update.

I love the sunken highways. Did you use the in-game terraform tool?

Also, there is now a protractor mod that shows you the exact angle of your roads. Not bad.
Yes I did. Is the protractor mod officially on the store? I saw it was in progress, but if they linked to the store, I missed it.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
May 4, 2015, 12:15 PM

That's the default highway exit for when you first start the game. I left it unchanged (Until I start working on the other side, I guess)

Edit: You're talking my roundabout. I think that was an oversight. primarily fueled by easing congestion. I know I added more ramps there afterwards. When I do my next batch of photos I'll try to make sure I capture the update.
I gotcha. I was wondering if there was a particular strategy involved.

Yes I did. Is the protractor mod officially on the store? I saw it was in progress, but if they linked to the store, I missed it.
It's now live on the Steam Workshop. I think it might have even been added today. I didn't see it yesterday. I had my eyes open for it since I saw a Reddit thread where a guy asked for it.

Also, terrible confession: I have yet to lay down a single metro station, even in my largest city.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 4, 2015, 12:17 PM

Also, terrible confession: I have yet to lay down a single metro station, even in my largest city.
How big is your largest city? I only just undertook it because I figured direct lines with no stops would be more efficient that bus stops. I was right, too, as I have 1600 metro passengers vs 700 bus.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
May 4, 2015, 02:22 PM

How big is your largest city? I only just undertook it because I figured direct lines with no stops would be more efficient that bus stops. I was right, too, as I have 1600 metro passengers vs 700 bus.
Honestly, I can't remember anything close to an exact figure. I think it's at about the 70k mark, but I don't know for sure.

Pretty much all of my posts in this thread today are worthless until I get home.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 4, 2015, 02:28 PM

70k is pretty damn big.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
May 4, 2015, 02:45 PM

Whatever the size is, it's definitely beginning to tax my CPU. I'm running an i5, 4690k at home, and the population recently starting pushing it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules