Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > When will OS X development equalize?

When will OS X development equalize?
kcmac
Mac Elite
Feb 8, 2004, 01:15 PM

It is becoming clear that each new upgrade of OS X is not just a point upgrade. It is one which changes the internal workings significantly enough that Apple is angering its OS X adopting user base.

The latest Safari release is just one example of Apple leaving the not too ancient Jaguar behind.

Personally, I don't have a problem with this trend. I see it as being a short interval created by a time when Apple started to fall behind its pace of setting the trends for the industry. While I don't believe the Windows side ever got their GUI or ease of use or compatability issues up to Apples bar, but clearly the lead or gap is not nearly so large now as it was. Some argue both sides are now so close to equal that it just doesn't matter.

I see the current development of OS X as Apples way of breaking from the pack. They have MS on the run with Longhorn which is still over 2 years from being in the retail scene and probably another 2 before it is in wide use.

By leaving behind Jaguar, aren't they really just putting the pressure on the Windows side and making their effort even that much more difficult?

This has rambled on, but eventually, don't we all think that OS X will equalize at some point in the near future or will each new point upgrade continue to be significant enough that you must truly upgrade to use all of the new goodies? Is this something we should accept for the long term good of the platform?

I personally am ready to keep updating if the changes are worthy. I know with Panther, �xpose greatly changed how I use my PB.

redJag
Senior User
Feb 8, 2004, 01:57 PM

When the upgrade isn't worth it, I won't buy it. It's simple economics.
Travis Sanderson

sniffer
Professional Poster
Feb 8, 2004, 01:59 PM

Originally posted by kcmac:
The latest Safari release is just one example of Apple leaving the not too ancient Jaguar behind.
Safari isn't the best example to use since it's so tied up with the web core.

MS isn't much better. I have heard and seen how often integrated third party apps breaks all the time.

I agree with your view, although I accept and prefer the OS's progress as a first priority at this point. I bet that's easier to accept than an stagnated OS after all.

Sniffer gone old-school sig

ryaxnb
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 8, 2004, 08:30 PM

I don't know. System 7 - 7 years after System 1 - broke at lot of stuff, but then again system 1-6 were pretty compatible. It's already slowed down somewhat, so maybe about 3-4 more releases?
Trainiable is to cat as ability to live without food is to human.
Steveis... said: "What would scammers do with this info..." talking about a debit card number!

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Feb 8, 2004, 09:13 PM

Originally posted by kcmac:
It is becoming clear that each new upgrade of OS X is not just a point upgrade. It is one which changes the internal workings significantly enough that Apple is angering its OS X adopting user base.
As someone who's working on updating BootCD for 10.3, I will say: YES, this is not just a point upgrade.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Forum Links
Forum Rules