Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Anyone have a North Face Borealis backpack?

Anyone have a North Face Borealis backpack?
asodamiac
Senior User
Apr 17, 2005, 03:26 AM

I know theres a sticky about this above, but I posted and no one replied, and I really need to get a new back pack soon. So has anyone used/or have the North Face Borealis bag? In a review it said that it only has one compartment? I was hoping that it would have at least 2.. one for the laptop another for a book or a few notebooks. If you guys dont use a North Face bag (or the Borealis to be specific), are there any other back packs that you guys have used that you think is the best bang for its buck?

If it matters, I ordered the Vyper sleeve from Booq. Now I just need a comfortable back pack to put it in. Thanks.
15" Powerbook G4 | 1.67, 1.5gb, 128VRAM, SD
20" iMac | 2.66, 2gb, HD 2600
Dell 2408WFP

tbd
Apr 17, 2005, 01:37 PM

I have a northface "recon." It's great--waterproof, 2 seperate compartments (back compartment has an area for your laptop to go in and then more room in front of that), etc. I would really recommend it.

tbd
Apr 17, 2005, 01:38 PM

Actually its the recon II apparently...
http://www.travelcountry.com/shop/Ac...28/ProdId/3796

asodamiac  (op)
Senior User
Apr 17, 2005, 01:56 PM

thanks for the reply. is there a sleeve in the back compartment? or is it just a slot where you can store your laptop? because i ordered a sleeve already from another company, and im not sure if that would fit inside the slot where the laptop goes.
Dell 2408WFP

tbd
Apr 17, 2005, 02:29 PM

I'm not sure what you mean by sleeve...hmm I guess its more of a slot. You probably dont even need another sleeve (this is pretty good), but if you had another sleeve it should still easily fit (powerbooks are so thin).

asodamiac  (op)
Senior User
Apr 17, 2005, 08:16 PM

hmm.. guess i just need to find a store that sells a variety of backpacks and check them out for myself. powerbooks are huge investments.. cant take any chances =)
Dell 2408WFP

tbd
Apr 17, 2005, 08:49 PM

if you order from that link I gave I assure you, you won't be dissapointed =).

asodamiac  (op)
Senior User
Apr 17, 2005, 09:17 PM

awesome, i'll keep it in mind. do you know any stores that do carry the north face line? department stores?
Dell 2408WFP

tbd
Apr 17, 2005, 10:42 PM

sorry, I don't. I actually got this one as a gift for my birthday (it was bought online, I think from www.backcountry.com).

amazing
Professional Poster
Apr 18, 2005, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by asodamiac
awesome, i'll keep it in mind. do you know any stores that do carry the north face line? department stores?
thenorthface.com has a store locator button on the top website menu

personally, I'd never buy a backpack without trying it on. Just way too many variables like comfortable straps, adequate protection in the laptop compartment (check the bottom protection especially, for when you're setting the backpack down.) Do you want a water bottle packet, etc... Given that LA is now in rain-forest category (albeit temporarily), waterproof?

Many people think it's a good idea to have both the sleeve and the laptop compartment for the maximum protection. Does the sleeve unzip in such a way that you can take the PB out while leaving the sleeve inside the backpack compartment?

asodamiac  (op)
Senior User
Apr 18, 2005, 05:08 PM

you brought up very good points amazing, and i really didnt think much about the weather (especially in LA), but the rain-forest category thing surprised me. we have been getting a lot of rain recently. im confident that the north face back packs are water proof. they were built for the outdoors right? as for the strap, im sure anything is more comfortable than my current jansport backpack.

the sleve that i purchased was from booq. i guess i could unzip the top, and slide the PB out, but not without a struggle (everyone said the vyper has a VERY tight fit over the PB). none of the north face stores are very close.. but i guess i should make a trip down to one some time this week.
Dell 2408WFP

amazing
Professional Poster
Apr 18, 2005, 10:30 PM

It really is helpful to be able to try on a backpack. Ever head up to San Fran? There used to be a North Face outlet store on Howard, don't know if it's still there. I bought a sleeping bag and fanny pack at quite a savings... Are you close to an REI store? Maybe they'd have a selection of different brands of laptop backpacks?

I've got an EMS laptop backpack, which worked great for my Ti. It's a little big for my present 12" so I've been contemplating getting a sleeve to put into the padded compartment. Meantime, the padding on the bottom needed some help, so I cut up a foam camping pad to line the bottom with. It pays to be able to inspect stuff like that before purchase.

Best thing about the backpack is that it looks totally innocuous, like it wouldn't have a laptop inside. No sense having something that screams "steal me, laptop inside?"

asodamiac  (op)
Senior User
Apr 18, 2005, 10:49 PM

true. i guess i'll have to check some out. thanks for the advice.
Dell 2408WFP

amazing
Professional Poster
Apr 22, 2005, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by asodamiac
true. i guess i'll have to check some out. thanks for the advice.
Please report back, if you get a chance to look at them. I notice in the description of the Borealis that it doesn't mention a "padded" pocket, only a pocket that can fit either a laptop or a hydration system. Needless to say, don't buy it if it isn't padded. The North Face Recon II mentions a padded laptop pocket. You can check out the descriptions at ebags.com

http://www.ebags.com/the_north_face/...?modelid=20154

dealmac.com shows a High Sierra for $27, just for laughs (for belly-splitting laughs, they also list a "polyester" laptop backpack. Polyester??)

http://dealmac.com/articles/High+Sie...ped/85191.html

Leo the 3rd
Apr 22, 2005, 12:23 PM

I know they are sold at REI.

asodamiac  (op)
Senior User
Apr 22, 2005, 06:01 PM

i read a few reviews on the recon.. one user said that the padded sleeve wasnt padded enough. im worried because the vyper m sleeve has close to no padding at all (there is, but its really stiff). i need to find a store that sells a variety of north face packs. i dont want to walk into a department store to find that they only have one type. wish north face would provide more pictures...
Dell 2408WFP

Ryan1524
Senior User
Apr 23, 2005, 05:20 AM

i used to have a Borealis, and my 15" PB barely fits in it. the zipper is visibly stretched and you can see two sides of the Powerbook (in its sleeve) trying to poke through the zipper. so you get this odd rectangular shape visible from the outside. it's no good, and i got a different bag.

i really want a Spire backpack, but they're kinda $$$.
i took some pictures, in case you're interested.

Spire's bags: http://spireusa.com/products/backpacks.htm
Ryan

Mr. Bump
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 23, 2005, 08:53 AM

I have a Borealis that I use for uni stuff (books, files, tools etc.). It has a main compartment with an elasticated pocket/sleeve. The back of the pack is padded (wher it comes into contact woth your bacl) but the bottom is not. I use a Booq Vyper as well but I don't think this will give you enough padding to protect the laptop if you put i into the Borealis. There is a middle compartment that is good for smaller items (iPod, phone etc.) and an outer compartment attached to this.

I don't use this bag for my laptop - -it's too small. I have a Timbuktu that is bigger and better padded.

The Borealis is a great general purpose backpack but not so good for a laptop - there are better ones out there.

amazing
Professional Poster
Apr 23, 2005, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by Ryan1524
i used to have a Borealis, and my 15" PB barely fits in it. the zipper is visibly stretched and you can see two sides of the Powerbook (in its sleeve) trying to poke through the zipper. so you get this odd rectangular shape visible from the outside. it's no good, and i got a different bag.

i really want a Spire backpack, but they're kinda $$$.
i took some pictures, in case you're interested.

Spire's bags: http://spireusa.com/products/backpacks.htm
Ryan: great feedback. I take it the Borealis pocket isn't padded? Certainly, exposed edges from the outside doesn't sound good, even with the sleeve.

And about the Spire backpacks: Something like that definitely says "steal me, expensive laptop inside." Great looking, though, if you don't have to worry about stuff like that.

Ryan1524
Senior User
Apr 23, 2005, 05:13 PM

actually the Spire bags does not suggest that it's a laptop bag at all. Targus bags does. tell me, honestly, does any of you ever heard of Spire bags before you came to this forum? much less relate them to notebooks. lol.

and yes, the Borealis has absolutely no padding, even inside my Crumpler sleeve, my PB got a dent on one corner when i put it down too hard. good thing it's hardly visible.

here's a picture of it in the laptop compartment, it causes the entire sleeve and PB to be pushed slightly upwards and therefore, tighter on the zippers.

but if you put it in the MAIN compartment, it's pretty much on the floor (touches the ground), but fits in nicer. the pictures also has some binders as reference to how much school stuff you can fit in there.

Ryan

amazing
Professional Poster
Apr 23, 2005, 06:33 PM

Great pictures, better than a thousand words. Makes me very grateful for the padded pocket in my EMS. Aluminum needs lots of babying...

Forum Links
Forum Rules