Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Snow Leopard confirmed release Aug. 28th

Snow Leopard confirmed release Aug. 28th
carterx
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 24, 2009, 10:32 AM

Apple has posted that Snow Leopard will be released Aug. 28th http://www.apple.com/macosx/

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Aug 24, 2009, 10:57 AM

woohoo! only days away from praise/griping/cursing/screaming/crying. looking forward to the rants & raves (and hope i'm doing the latter...)
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 24, 2009, 11:07 AM

Do we really need another thread to discuss this? The long-standing Snow Leopard thread already contains the update regarding release date.

http://forums.macnn.com/90/mac-os-x/...8/#post3875880
( Last edited by Simon; Aug 24, 2009 at 11:17 AM. )

carterx  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 24, 2009, 11:14 AM

Can't wait myself. Trying to see what stores will have it in stock so that I will have it for the weekend.

OreoCookie
Aug 24, 2009, 11:17 AM

Let's just see where this thread is going. If people prefer the other Snow Leopard thread, this one will die a peaceful, natural death.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

LEStudios
Banned
Aug 24, 2009, 10:56 PM

I got Amazon.com Order Update on Snow Leopard!

64stang06
Mac Elite
Aug 24, 2009, 11:16 PM

My up to date disc order status finally has a ship date of: Ships by: August 28th.
MacBook Pro 13" 2.8GHz Core i7/8GB RAM/750GB Hard Drive - Mac OS X 10.7.3

E's Lil Theorem
Mac Elite
Aug 25, 2009, 12:30 AM

Originally Posted by LEStudios View Post

I got Amazon.com Order Update on Snow Leopard!
I pre-ordered a copy from Amazon as well, but mine isn't coming until much later. Did you pay for "next day" delivery?

LEStudios
Banned
Aug 25, 2009, 02:13 AM

Originally Posted by E's Lil Theorem View Post
I pre-ordered a copy from Amazon as well, but mine isn't coming until much later. Did you pay for "next day" delivery?
FEDEX 2-Day Shipping! Total was $37.98 paid with Amazon.com Gift Card! You must have done the FREE SHIPPING?

B Gallagher
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 25, 2009, 02:46 AM

Does this mean that those on the plus side of GMT will get their copies of Snow Leopard close to a day earlier than those on the minus side?
MBP 15" C2D 2.2GHz 4.0GB 500GB@5400
iPhone 4 32GB Black

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Aug 25, 2009, 03:02 AM

It is very reasonably priced at 28USD, and I know that us folks in the old countries can't complain, but I like the way Apple priced SL at €28, 28 Pounds etc in the EU.

Even taking into account the slightly higher sales tax in the EU, at today's exchange rate, that is a 1/3 markup over the US...

I'll still buy (as I have with every OS X release since the .0 and even Beta), and I know it'll never happen, but I'd love to see a justification of that one.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 25, 2009, 03:23 AM

Originally Posted by The Placid Casual View Post
Even taking into account the slightly higher sales tax in the EU, at today's exchange rate, that is a 1/3 markup over the US...
Pardon my French, but that's BS.

The French Apple store charges €29. Subtract from that the stunning French VAT of 19.6% and you get €24.25. According to Google that's $34.65 compared to the $29 Apple charges in the US. In other words the markup is actually 19% which is hardly highway robbery if you consider the extra cost involved.

If you want to pay less for stuff in France then please elect different politicians and fix your inflated VAT. Blaming it on Apple is silly.

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Aug 25, 2009, 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
Pardon my French, but that's BS.

The French Apple store charges €29. Subtract from that the stunning French VAT of 19.6% and you get €24.25. According to Google that's $34.65 compared to the $29 Apple charges in the US. In other words the markup is actually 19% which is hardly highway robbery if you consider the extra cost involved.

If you want to pay less for stuff in France then please elect different politicians and fix your inflated VAT. Blaming it on Apple is silly.
Point taken to an extent, but a 19% mark-up is still 19%.

19% worth of extra costs involved? And they are? I'd love to know, especially taking into account the further distance the disks have to travel to get to the US over Europe.

Afaik, the disks are still printed and produced along with the other Apple products in the Far East, shipped through Holland, and then on to the US. At this stage in the maturity of the product, costs such as translation have been more than covered.

I just find it funny that even when the sales tax is only 15%, such as in the UK, the mark-up over the US is still 19-22%.

Price in the UK is 25 Pounds Sterling. Lets minus the 15% VAT/Tax = 21.25 Pounds Sterling, which equates again to $34.6 or so.

Yes, on OS X it is a small amount, but when you apply the same to a MBP, it sticks in the throat. For example, I just purchased a 13" MBP for €1499. The exact same model in the US is $1399.

Ok, we take the 20% sales tax off the €1499 getting to €1200 - this still equates to $1715! Or the same old 22% mark up!

The extra costs for Europe are the same % of the product price, for each product in Apples line? Convenient.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 25, 2009, 08:31 AM

It's €1399,- vs. US$1499 for the 2.53 GHz model.

I don't know which model you were looking at.

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Aug 25, 2009, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
It's €1399,- vs. US$1499 for the 2.53 GHz model.

I don't know which model you were looking at.
My apologies, it is indeed. Still a big gap though ok, maybe not, I'll be quiet now... move along. /runs avoiding the burning torches and pitchforks.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 25, 2009, 12:07 PM

Can we please get a "Apple EU pricing teh suxxors" sticky ?

What's the obsession with insisting that a fair price would be exactly what you get with today's exchange rates ?
A lot of things are cheaper in Europe (e.g. good beer).
Do you hear me whine about this everyday, expecting that Beck's sells their beer here in the US for the Euro price x 1.34 ?

-t

E's Lil Theorem
Mac Elite
Aug 25, 2009, 09:06 PM

FEDEX 2-Day Shipping! Total was $37.98 paid with Amazon.com Gift Card! You must have done the FREE SHIPPING?

I did get the free shipping. I remember back in the day, Apple would ship their Mac OS X orders 2-3 days before the release date so that folks that pre-ordered would have it on the release date. I was hoping for something similar with Amazon, but it doesn't look like that'll be the case.

funkboy
Professional Poster
Aug 26, 2009, 12:35 AM

Anybody know if Best Buy will have them in-store on Friday? The nearest Apple Store is over 2 hours away for me... though, will college campuses have them on Friday? hmmm...

64stang06
Mac Elite
Aug 26, 2009, 01:05 AM

Originally Posted by funkboy View Post
Anybody know if Best Buy will have them in-store on Friday? The nearest Apple Store is over 2 hours away for me... though, will college campuses have them on Friday? hmmm...
I would say Best Buy will have them on launch day, but it's always best to call them that day to make sure. Don't know about college campuses though.
MacBook Pro 13" 2.8GHz Core i7/8GB RAM/750GB Hard Drive - Mac OS X 10.7.3

carterx  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 26, 2009, 09:05 AM

Bah, I want the full install disc and not the upgrade and so far looks like everyone here in Canada at least just ordered the upgrades & box set. I believe the full install is not on the Apple.ca store yet.

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Aug 26, 2009, 11:29 AM

I think it's been established that the "full install" is only available as part of the box set.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 26, 2009, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by slugslugslug View Post
I think it's been established that the "full install" is only available as part of the box set.
What do you mean by "full install" ?

You get format and full install (even w/o Leopard present) with the $29 upgrade disc.

Source (only German): http://macnews.de/news/118320.html

-t

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Aug 26, 2009, 04:04 PM

I hadn't seen your post about that at the time. What I'd heard around here and elsewhere was that the upgrade disc requires that you install it on a drive w/Leopard (even if you erase it); and that there was no standalone, non-upgrade disc. i.e., if you wanted to install SL on a Tiger-equipped Mac, you had to buy the Boxed Set. It seems I (along w/lots of other folks) was mistaken.

zerostar
Mac Elite
Aug 26, 2009, 04:30 PM

Lots of people were spouting nonsense as fact, its easy to get caught up... I'm glad they were proven wrong on both the 10A432 and the Leopard Required.

LEStudios
Banned
Aug 27, 2009, 08:09 AM

I did get the free shipping. I remember back in the day, Apple would ship their Mac OS X orders 2-3 days before the release date so that folks that pre-ordered would have it on the release date. I was hoping for something similar with Amazon, but it doesn't look like that'll be the case.
Yeah I learned from experience not to expect fast shipping on Pre-orders from Amazon learned lessons from Gears of War 2 Pre-Order. They shipped the game on release day! Which was a Friday also but I didn't get mine till Monday and the warehouse was one state over from mine which is Texas. It also came by USPS Mail but I bought the life-size Lancer with that, I actually got on the release day simply the warehouse is in the same state but shipped using UPS. That's what and still hoping for that the warehouse is near by so if it ships at least I was hoping would be today its close to my state or in my state. Anything that close I know you get next by UPS Ground. Apple shipped my iLife '09 UTP from California by USPS Mail when I bought a 2007 Mac mini in January. I'm hoping that Amazon got their shipments from Apple and distributed to their nearby warehouses, so I can have Friday deliver date. Either way I'm still expecting Tuesday for Deliver date by FEDEX.

B Gallagher
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 27, 2009, 03:53 PM

A friend in Japan got his copy at 00:01 a.m. Japan time today. Some photos here:

Very Fast Look of Snow Leopard Pt.1 � The Air of Marr's Blog

He's right - that's really slim packaging!! Makes me thing of the keynote slide where they show how many more they can fit on the plane.
MBP 15" C2D 2.2GHz 4.0GB 500GB@5400
iPhone 4 32GB Black

LEStudios
Banned
Aug 28, 2009, 01:51 AM

My Amazon.com Snow Leopard Order Shipped! By UPS! I'm trying to find out where it shipped from if it is Dallas then I will get this tomorrow!

Brien
Professional Poster
Aug 28, 2009, 02:34 AM

Man the packaging just keeps getting smaller and smaller!

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Aug 28, 2009, 04:56 AM

Kind of disappointed by the Applestore over here. Order on my business account has been in for 3 days now and not shipped.

I am showing a delivery date of at least the 5th September. If there was any place near me to pick up a copy in person, I'd do it and cancel the direct order

Amazon also now out of stock too.

carterx  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 28, 2009, 12:38 PM

Has anyone received the upgrade today and if so, can someone confirm the build #

Lint Police
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 28, 2009, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by carterx View Post
Has anyone received the upgrade today and if so, can someone confirm the build #
it is 10A432. So no worries, the version you stole off of PB or Doid are ok.

cause we're not quite "the fuzz"

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Aug 28, 2009, 12:53 PM

where's the fedex truck? am waiting (supposed to be working...). can't wait to play with SL, and to see what doesn't work...
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

E's Lil Theorem
Mac Elite
Aug 29, 2009, 02:56 AM

Yeah I learned from experience not to expect fast shipping on Pre-orders from Amazon learned lessons from Gears of War 2 Pre-Order. They shipped the game on release day! Which was a Friday also but I didn't get mine till Monday and the warehouse was one state over from mine which is Texas. It also came by USPS Mail but I bought the life-size Lancer with that, I actually got on the release day simply the warehouse is in the same state but shipped using UPS. That's what and still hoping for that the warehouse is near by so if it ships at least I was hoping would be today its close to my state or in my state. Anything that close I know you get next by UPS Ground. Apple shipped my iLife '09 UTP from California by USPS Mail when I bought a 2007 Mac mini in January. I'm hoping that Amazon got their shipments from Apple and distributed to their nearby warehouses, so I can have Friday deliver date. Either way I'm still expecting Tuesday for Deliver date by FEDEX.
Yeah, I cancelled my order and went to the local Apple store to get my copy. I paid full price plus taxes, but I'm typing from Snow Leopard now =). Good luck with your order!

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 29, 2009, 04:56 AM

Yeah, I cancelled my order and went to the local Apple store to get my copy. I paid full price plus taxes, but I'm typing from Snow Leopard now =). Good luck with your order!
Haha, same here. Screw Amazon and their slow shipping.

-t

DCJ001
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 29, 2009, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by The Placid Casual View Post
Kind of disappointed by the Applestore over here. Order on my business account has been in for 3 days now and not shipped.

I am showing a delivery date of at least the 5th September. If there was any place near me to pick up a copy in person, I'd do it and cancel the direct order

Amazon also now out of stock too.
I went with bestbuy.com and picked it up at the store three miles away from me for $25 plus tax. If you've got a store near you, you can check the availability there online, make the purchase, and go pick it up.

LEStudios
Banned
Sep 2, 2009, 12:36 PM

I finally got my Snow Leopard yesterday! After a 30 minute install I got 40GB more HD space, (25GB plus 15GB trash files from MobileMe), QuickTime X is awesome that was worth the $29 alone considering QT 7 Pro cost $29. It is fast well as Safari is definitely fast with load up times. Mail is way faster than before. iTunes even though it's a 32-bit app is actually a little faster but we may see a 64-bit iTunes 9 on September 9th. Well as a 64-bit Aperture 3 should be releasing soon. Maybe a 64-bit to the rest of their Pro-Apps like Final Cut and Logic Pro.

Here's the trailer to download it's 720p @ 60 FPS

http://www.swtor.com/media/trailers/...ematic-trailer

Forum Links
Forum Rules