Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Setting up a MobileMe account jus to use iChat?

Setting up a MobileMe account jus to use iChat?
B Gallagher
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 10, 2009, 04:49 PM

Hi all,

My dad just got a MBP 15" Unibody (nice machine!), and I'm trying to get iChat sorted out for him so we can chat with each other, and also screen share so I can show him how to do stuff from far away.

He tried clicking on the "set up iChat account" link from within the new account window in iChat, which brought him to AIM's homepage. He tried both options of registering an @aim.com account, as well as making his email address an AIM screen name - neither worked.

If I get him to try setting up a MobileMe account, I know that it's free for the first 60 days, but if he only wants to use the account for iChat (at least for now), will he be able to keep using it for iChat after the free 60-day trial period has expired?
MBP 15" C2D 2.2GHz 4.0GB 500GB@5400
iPhone 4 32GB Black

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Sep 11, 2009, 03:51 AM

No, after 60 days he will have to pay for mobile me or his ichat account won't work.

However, you CAN set up an AOL account for free since iChat support AOL accounts as well as mobile me accounts. This will allow you to continue to chat with your dad and screen share fro free.

iChat also supports Google talk and Jabber accounts but I'm not sure if screen sharing will run over these.

It's not worth paying for mobile me just to use iChat.
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 11, 2009, 04:24 AM

I'm pretty sure AIM does NOT support special characters like the "@" in your screen name.

And back in the .Mac and iTools days, an account would remain active for iChat forever, even if you cancelled your .Mac account after the trial period.

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Sep 11, 2009, 04:55 AM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
I'm pretty sure AIM does NOT support special characters like the "@" in your screen name.

And back in the .Mac and iTools days, an account would remain active for iChat forever, even if you cancelled your .Mac account after the trial period.

Well I use an AIM account on iChat just fine. You don't have to use your mobile me name for your AIM account you can set up a separate account.

Of course then you'll have an account with AOL but you can't have everything.
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 11, 2009, 05:17 AM

You're not actually disagreeing with anything I was saying, though you make it sound like you are.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 11, 2009, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by Doc HM View Post
No, after 60 days he will have to pay for mobile me or his ichat account won't work.
That is not true. iChat will always work even after the MobileMe account has expired.

MobileMe: Expired user names still valid for other services

Forum Links
Forum Rules