Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > iTunes 9

iTunes 9 (Page 2)
kman42  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 10, 2009, 12:29 PM

Home Share works for different accounts on the same computer, which makes it much easier to keep newly imported music sync'd between Libraries. I previously had to do it manually every few weeks. Thanks Apple.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 10, 2009, 12:57 PM

Does it only work for purchased material, though, or also for imported CDs and other media?

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Sep 10, 2009, 01:11 PM

Auto-sync is only for purchased items. You can manually copy anything.
Vandelay Industries

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 10, 2009, 01:40 PM

That is most EXCELLENT news.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 10, 2009, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
That is most EXCELLENT news.
That you can copy stuff manually ?

Well, I don't think that's revolutionary.

I would have been all giddy if Apple offered a way to keep certain playlists automatically in sync.
But with manually copying stuff, meh...

-t

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 10, 2009, 02:38 PM

Sorting by "added" date and just dragging stuff over is a *huge...

Wait a minute.

This is useless to me. I want to keep two libraries in sync, but the music needs to remain on a single network drive. I don't want it copying over.

Unless I use that machine's library on one disk, and make the backup the library of the second machine, accessed via the network... That would be a nice way to keep the backup in sync as well...

Hmm.

Oneota
Professional Poster
Sep 10, 2009, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
The Blu-Ray support is fantastic.
Well, there *is* a reference to it in the About… window. But other than that…
"Yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation" yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation.

kman42  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 10, 2009, 05:45 PM

This is useless to me. I want to keep two libraries in sync, but the music needs to remain on a single network drive. I don't want it copying over.

Unless I use that machine's library on one disk, and make the backup the library of the second machine, accessed via the network... That would be a nice way to keep the backup in sync as well...

Hmm.
I don't think it copies anything if you are sharing a music collection. My wife and I share the music files on an external drive, but have separate Library files so we can keep our playlists separate. I turned on Home Sharing and looked for songs that I had that she didn't and dragged them over to her Music and it said they were copying, but I don't see multiple instances of the actual song files anywhere (it didn't copy them into her Home/Music folder). They are now in her library.

kman42  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 10, 2009, 05:58 PM

Now I need to figure out how to get Home Sharing to work from my office to home. Any suggestions about setting up a VPN for free on a non-server installation of Snow Leopard? Any other ideas how to get this to work?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 10, 2009, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by kman42 View Post
Now I need to figure out how to get Home Sharing to work from my office to home. Any suggestions about setting up a VPN for free on a non-server installation of Snow Leopard? Any other ideas how to get this to work?
Hamachi, but it's not being updated anymore.

Lacks the reliability I'd need.

Other than that, I'd give Simplify Media a try. iTunes integrated sharing over the internet.

-t

bindigok
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 10, 2009, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
Option-click the green button or Shift-Command-M.
This stinks. Why did they change it? I click on the plus all the time for Mini Player, it's the best part of iTunes (well not exactly) but it's a great feature. Why would they take that away? Now I have to Option-click? That's BS. How do I tell Apple to fix it back?
--bindigok
iMac 24" 3.06GHz, 4GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GT 130
15" PB G4, 2GB RAM, 100GB HD

Trekkie
Forum Regular
Sep 10, 2009, 08:18 PM

For those hating the new UI see here: iTunes 9 UI like iTunes 8 Fix by =jaj43123 on deviantART

And no, it does not do anything about the horrible white background in Grid view.
-Trekkie
To point, click and boldly go...

mackandproud
Forum Regular
Sep 10, 2009, 08:32 PM

Do apple employees read these boards or other forums? It's certainly not out of the realm of possibility. If so, it can have an impact.

In the meantime, I'd like to submit feedback to apple. How do I do that within itunes? Or do I just go to a link on apple.com?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 10, 2009, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by bindigok View Post
This stinks. Why did they change it?
Because it was broken.

The green button is "resize to fit". Always has been, in every application - except iTunes.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 10, 2009, 09:05 PM

The green button is "resize to fit". Always has been, in every application - except iTunes.
So I guess you've never used the green button in iPhoto, Mail, iCal, GarageBand, iMovie, TextEdit, etc, etc, etc?

Very few Apple apps use "resize to fit" anymore: Safari, Finder, Preview, the iWork apps. But overwhelmingly, green button = maximize.

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Sep 10, 2009, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by lpkmckenna View Post
So I guess you've never used the green button in iPhoto, Mail, iCal, GarageBand, iMovie, TextEdit, etc, etc, etc?

Very few Apple apps use "resize to fit" anymore: Safari, Finder, Preview, the iWork apps. But overwhelmingly, green button = maximize.
There's still a consistency there that the old iTunes wasn't following. In Apple apps where clicking the green button maximizes, those apps have a scalable interface. In Apple apps where it resizes to fit, those apps have a fixed size interface.

TextEdit is a perfect example of this. In standard text editing mode, it maximizes because the interface is scalable. Switch to page wrap mode, it resizes to fit because the interface is now a fixed size.

iTunes has a fixed size interface so it is now appropriately resizing to fit. The mini player now requires a modifier since it is not a standard behavior.
( Last edited by Art Vandelay; Sep 10, 2009 at 09:32 PM. )
Vandelay Industries

B Gallagher
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 11, 2009, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by mackandproud View Post
I'd like to submit feedback to apple. How do I do that within itunes? Or do I just go to a link on apple.com?
Apple - iTunes - Feedback

I like the new Genius Mixes - the selection of songs is good, but the mixes themselves aren't so good. I have three "Rock" mixes, two "Pop" mixes, and two "Other" mixes. I'd like a "R&B/Rap/Hip-Hop" mix, but alas, there's no option to edit what kind of mixes you have.

I tend not to always have the Genre field filled in on my music, so I'm wondering if that's what has resulted in me having a few "Other" Genius Mixes.
MBP 15" C2D 2.2GHz 4.0GB 500GB@5400
iPhone 4 32GB Black

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Sep 11, 2009, 09:37 PM

It looks like iTunes 9 is now using WebKit to render the iTS.
Vandelay Industries

bindigok
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 12, 2009, 08:17 AM

Because it was broken.

Then it is still broken, they fixed nothing. If you click it now, it only moves the window. No resizing, it just moves the iTunes window down a little below the dock, which is irritating.
--bindigok
iMac 24" 3.06GHz, 4GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GT 130
15" PB G4, 2GB RAM, 100GB HD

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 12, 2009, 09:45 AM

Not true.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 12, 2009, 09:54 AM

Agreed. The green button resizes the window to fit the content.

Nassifer
Forum Regular
Sep 12, 2009, 07:20 PM

Hello just a question maybe someone can answer maybe not. I have both my MacBook and my iMac with iTunes 9 setup for homeshare, I have gone to the apple store and activated the laptop and imac and now I went and downloaded some apps to my laptop and now when I went to my iPod touch all of the apps that where their are now gone and only the new one that I d/l'd is there. OK no big deal really so I went to he imac and tried to add the apps that are on the imac back to my ipod and it tells me that I can not do this that the imac is not authorized, I did go and do that but it will still not work.

My biggest thing is the apps that I paid for I can get the free ones no problem. I goto the apple store but when I try to get the app again thinking that the app store would remember my purchases but it does not so I do not want to have to pay for them again can someone tell me what I am doing wrong,

Abdi

GENERAL_SMILEY
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 14, 2009, 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by Nassifer View Post
...but when I try to get the app again thinking that the app store would remember my purchases but it does not so I do not want to have to pay for them again can someone tell me what I am doing wrong...
As I understand it you are doing nothing wrong, I have de-authorised, re-authorised, created many new accounts etc... all attached to a single iTunes account, and always had the few apps I have purchased, remain purchased. I think this is a problem you should address to Apple directly. Have you tried downloading from the iPhone app store?
I have Mac

msuper69
Professional Poster
Sep 14, 2009, 06:41 AM

I like black text on a white background. I wish more web sites would use that scheme.

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Sep 18, 2009, 10:59 AM

Ok, first off, please, please Apple change the Miniplayer options back to the old options.

I always used to press the 'green button' to switch back and forth, and now I go from 'big window' to 'big window' - I see the reason for the change, but I also how pointless it is in iTunes.

2nd, I hate the new default view option.

In short, for me, iTunes regressed in terms of the UI usability this release.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 18, 2009, 11:01 AM

Is there a way to hide "Home Sharing" from the left bar? They ****ing cluttered the hell out of it this release.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 18, 2009, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by The Placid Casual View Post
Ok, first off, please, please Apple change the Miniplayer options back to the old options.

I always used to press the 'green button' to switch back and forth, and now I go from 'big window' to 'big window' - I see the reason for the change, but I also how pointless it is in iTunes.
actually, it's rather nice to have it work as it should when you work with multiple monitors.

Veltliner
Mac Elite
Sep 18, 2009, 10:38 PM

In the browsing zone on the left: I usually uncheck everything except "music" and "radio" to have the maximum space for playlists/playlist folders. Now "sharing" stays there, taking up three lines, and you can't uncheck it.

I hope these choices to reduce the interface to the necessary will be restored.
( Last edited by Veltliner; Sep 18, 2009 at 11:11 PM. )

mackandproud
Forum Regular
Sep 19, 2009, 12:50 AM

I just ripped some tunes to itunes. It was a distinctly unpleasant experience. The UI just looks awful. The font is tiny too. It's simply less useable, less useful and esthetically less pleasing. Everything is too bright and garishly white.

Itunes is Apple's Microsoft Office: that is, Apple changes it just for the sake of changing it. It's getting cluttered, bloated, ugly and complicated. I NEVER thought I'd say that about an Apple program.

Initial verdict: epic fail.

Current verdict: fail.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 19, 2009, 02:42 AM

Wow. If you're that vehement about the issues you mention, apple must be doing something very very right.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 19, 2009, 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by Veltliner View Post
In the browsing zone on the left: I usually uncheck everything except "music" and "radio" to have the maximum space for playlists/playlist folders. Now "sharing" stays there, taking up three lines, and you can't uncheck it.
Just tell it you don't want it in the configuration screen, and it will disappear. It's that simple.

Veltliner
Mac Elite
Sep 19, 2009, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by TETENAL View Post
Just tell it you don't want it in the configuration screen, and it will disappear. It's that simple.
You mean the preferences, I guess. Yes, I unchecked all the things I don't want.

But I couldn't find a tick box for the shared content to tick off and away.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 19, 2009, 10:20 PM

Under the Advanced menu > Turn on Home Sharing > No Thanks

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 20, 2009, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by Veltliner View Post
You mean the preferences, I guess. Yes, I unchecked all the things I don't want.

But I couldn't find a tick box for the shared content to tick off and away.

MallyMal
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 22, 2009, 07:28 PM

9.0.1 is out and the former mini-player behavior is back.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 22, 2009, 07:42 PM

That. Sucks.

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Sep 22, 2009, 08:34 PM

This is why you shouldn't listen to customer feedback. Customers are stupid.

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

CreepDogg
Mac Elite
Sep 22, 2009, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by MallyMal View Post
Yes! I know purists will hate it, but I use that feature all the time and find it convenient. It may not be consistent with UI guidelines, but most other apps mentioned don't have something analogous to the 'mini-player' mode that iTunes features. I think the way it's implemented (9.0.1) is the best compromise based on the precedent set in previous versions, and my own preferences!

Note - option-click on the green button now does the maximize behavior. I'm not sure if it was like this in iTunes 8, but it does do it now.

mackandproud
Forum Regular
Sep 22, 2009, 09:30 PM

I hope Apple brings back the black.

Overall, 8 was unproblematic and pretty cool. I'm still considering reverting back. Somehow.

dirt farmer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 23, 2009, 12:37 AM

Does 9.0.1 bring back the Folk and Public Radio radio categories?

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 23, 2009, 12:56 AM

Yes.. If they were really gone..

dirt farmer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 23, 2009, 01:00 AM

Umm... yes, they were really gone. That Googley thing can confirm it.

Great news that they're back with 9.0.1!

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 23, 2009, 01:19 PM

Just installed the update - I'm glad the normal mini-player behavior is back. 9.0 had me in a fit.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

jasonsRX7
Mac Elite
Sep 23, 2009, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by MallyMal View Post
I am so happy about that. I never, ever had a reason to switch iTunes between two somewhat different window sizes, but I always switched to the mini player.

jasonsRX7
Mac Elite
Sep 23, 2009, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by TETENAL View Post
That. Sucks.
That shouldn't suck.. All you gotta do is option-click to get the behavior you want, amirite?

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 23, 2009, 02:06 PM

I'm finally using 9.0 right now. The green button behavior is stupid: it doesn't maximize the window properly, leaving a gap between the menu bar and the title bar. And yes, the fading grey chrome is hideous.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Sep 23, 2009, 02:13 PM

Is the new UI really as bad as people say it is?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 23, 2009, 02:16 PM

In what way? Aside from the white background being glaring and the side bar being a touch more cluttered, its essentially the same.

Edit: Ah, I haven't had occasion to use browse. I suppose that is another strike as well.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 23, 2009, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
A lot of it is great. I love the Artist browser on the left, and the new Store rocks.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Sep 23, 2009, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
I quite like it. Very modern, the Store is sometimes cluttered, but a hit for me.

Forum Links
Forum Rules