Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Using Optical Drive on PB in iTunes on MBP via Firewire?

Using Optical Drive on PB in iTunes on MBP via Firewire?
B Gallagher
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 12, 2010, 05:44 AM

Hi all,

Here's my scenario - with the release of iTunes 9.1, I'm finally going back and copying all my CDs into iTunes in Apple Lossless. I'm amazed how much of a difference I can here.

Anyways, I have several CDs which just won't read on my MacBook Pro (i.e. I hear a scanning sound several times then the CD is spit back out). Strangely enough, these all seem to read straight away on my PowerBook. I'm thinking there might be an actual problem with the Super Drive. It's not enough of an issue for me to need to take it in and get fixed any time urgently. And the between the PowerBook and the MacBook Pro I can read everything.

However, what I want to do is have all my CDs coming up in iTunes. The reason for this is that when I click to import each CD, iTunes gives the option to overwrite the MP3 files with the Apple Lossless files, while preserving ratings, play count, etc., which are quite important for me.

I've tried booting the PowerBook in Target Disk Mode, putting a CD in, and connecting it to my MacBook Pro via FireWire, but it just comes up with a message saying that this disk cannot be read by my computer. Similarly, I can book into 10.5 on my PowerBook, go into System Preferences and enable disk sharing, but this only brings up the CDs as a Network Drive, so it won't mount as a drive or appear in iTunes.

Can anyone suggest a way I can use the optical drive in my PowerBook as an additional optical drive on my MacBook Pro?

Many thanks.
MBP 15" C2D 2.2GHz 4.0GB 500GB@5400
iPhone 4 32GB Black

mduell
Posting Junkie
Apr 13, 2010, 09:11 PM

No. Apple does not support that.

Rip it out and stick it in an external enclosure.

amazing
Professional Poster
Apr 14, 2010, 12:51 AM

Buy a fast optical 5.25 optical drive and put it in a firewire case.

You'll have a burner that's much much faster than any laptop burner, and my experience is that an external burner reads scratched disks better than the internal laptop burner.

Forum Links
Forum Rules