Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Itunes Aggravatingly slow to add songs

Itunes Aggravatingly slow to add songs
wonderbutt
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 2, 2010, 01:30 AM

Hi guys. I have a iMac, 20" Dual Core 2.4, 4gb RAM OSX 10.5.8.

ITunes is 9.0, and updated to 9.1. Both versions present me since last night with a frustrating issue.
I have an external USB HD that is for music only. Never had an issue with it on this Mac before, and though the HD is ok, the music is ok (played songs with VLC), it seems even adding 100 songs has caused iTUnes to "Not respond" and freeze.
I have tried shutting down, pulling all cables, deleting iTunes library and starting fresh. Nothing helps. I have even tested the USB external HD on my trusty old G4 powerbook, and all is well.
Also, it seems my USB transfers on either of the 3 USB ports are 1-2 MBPs, which iss much slower than normal. Something tells me this is a USB issue, and I do plan on taking this to the Apple store and utilizing my Apple Care Pro plan before it ends in October.
But for now, can someone help with ideas?
Thanks so much.

B Gallagher
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 2, 2010, 02:15 AM

Does Disk Utility bring up any error messages for the drive?

If you can pick one up relatively cheaply, I would suggest putting the drive in a different (preferably FW) enclosure, and seeing if that makes a difference.
MBP 15" C2D 2.2GHz 4.0GB 500GB@5400
iPhone 4 32GB Black

Forum Links
Forum Rules