Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Hairline crack?

Hairline crack?
dirka
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 13, 2010, 12:35 AM

So I just discovered that my white iPhone 3GS has a piece missing from the bottom. I have no idea how or when it disappeared. I haven't dropped it and I treat this thing like a baby. I'm beginning to wonder if this was from a hairline crack that I never really noticed. Could a piece like this come off from a hairline crack expanding over time?

I'm hoping to sell this iPhone so I can get the iPhone 4 in the next couple weeks. Obviously this will bring the price down so I'm hoping I can go in and get a replacement. Just wanted to see what ya'll thought first before making the trek.

Image here:
photo-3 copy.jpg

Thanks!

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 13, 2010, 01:35 AM

I believe Apple acknowledges and fixes those cracks under warranty. Don't hold me to it.

B Gallagher
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 13, 2010, 05:45 AM

I got mine replaced under warranty for a hairline crack - I know others who have as well. Even if it's out of warranty, give Apple(Care) a call and explain what has happened, and that you haven't caused it (providing you haven't of course!). If all goes well they may give you a case number to take it in to get sent off to be replaced.

Obviously a replacement, be it a brand new model, or a refurb, should go for significantly higher than an iPhone with a bit missing out of it!

Good luck - let us know how things go!
MBP 15" C2D 2.2GHz 4.0GB 500GB@5400
iPhone 4 32GB Black

Phileas
Mac Elite
Jun 13, 2010, 08:57 AM

I had a hairline crack on my screen repaired for free. They didn't even ask any questions, just swapped my iPhone for a new one.

dirka  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 15, 2010, 12:33 AM

Guys, thanks for all the replies. So I took it in and without hesitation they said they were going to replace it with a brand new iPhone. They mentioned that it's an issue and the white ones show the cracks more but the black ones get them as well (they are just harder to see). Apple really did a great job of taking care of me.

– One happy customer.

B Gallagher
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 16, 2010, 03:46 PM

Great news - I just hope you backed up your data before you sent the phone off!
MBP 15" C2D 2.2GHz 4.0GB 500GB@5400
iPhone 4 32GB Black

Andrew88088
Jun 18, 2010, 12:37 AM

Oh good. I have two little hairline cracks in mine. I hope they replace mine without hesitation. I would assume they would since they're wanting to deplete the current inventory of the 16GB 3G S.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jun 18, 2010, 12:54 PM

My 3g and 3gs had a total of about 4-5 crack issues in total. Each time apple swapped it on the spot. It is obviously a design flaw which is why apple changed the design so much in the iPhone 4.

mutelight
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 19, 2010, 05:41 PM

I had one by the dock connector and another by the headphone jack at the top. Walked into the Apple store, the guy took it in back to make sure there was no liquid damage and then handed me a new phone.

Now it is time to put it on eBay ending the 25th so I am not out a phone before I get my 4.

Dual 2.66Ghz Xeon Woodrcrests // 8800GT 512MB // 30" Apple Cinema Display // 8GB RAM // Samsung Galaxy Nexus LTE // 64GB iPad LTE Verizon // Home Theater

Andrew88088
Jun 21, 2010, 04:44 PM

I just took mine in and mentioned that I knew it was an issue. I was 4 days past my warranty, but she still swapped it out. Awesome!

Forum Links
Forum Rules