Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Backups for Lion

Backups for Lion
V
Senior User
Jul 19, 2011, 01:40 PM

Hi,

i'm preparing my iMac for the Lion migration and i want to make sure i'm not forgetting anything.

I will be formating my hard drive and reinstall everything i want to keep manually.

Here are the things i want to keep:

-Application prefs
-Safari prefs
-Mail
-keychain
-Address Book
-SteerMouse prefs
-iTunes

Does my User folder contains everything i need? Do i have to export my Keychain and Address Book and then import them after the formatting?

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jul 19, 2011, 01:57 PM

Address Book data is kept in your user folder but keeping a vcard backup copy is never a bad idea since it takes up no space at all.
Mail, iTunes, Safari prefs, keychains are all in your user folder. You'll have to check for the rest of your apps in /Users/youruser/library/preferences/ if you aren't sure. I'm not sure about SteerMouse. If its a prefpane its prefs might be in the root library folder.

The vast majority of what you want is in your user folder.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

B Gallagher
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 19, 2011, 04:31 PM

Best to do a Time Machine backup or a clone (using Carbon Copy Cloner, Super Duper or Disk Utility) before you format your hard drive. Just in case a certain file or folder you find you need is saved somewhere outside of what you've listed above, you can always browse the backup drive and restore it.
MBP 15" C2D 2.2GHz 4.0GB 500GB@5400
iPhone 4 32GB Black

V  (op)
Senior User
Jul 19, 2011, 11:25 PM

Yeah i think i'll do that just in case

thanks

Forum Links
Forum Rules