Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Best Care Method for LiPo batteries?

Best Care Method for LiPo batteries?
malcolm347
Forum Regular
Aug 13, 2011, 09:47 PM

I just bought a new macbook pro, and I want to ensure that I get the longest life out of the battery as possible.

I can't remember what the recommended care for lipo batteries is.

Should I fully charge/discharge once/twice per month?

And then I assume I shouldn't keep it plugged in at all times.

ANy care info is appreciated. Or if someone just has an article i can read, that would be fine.

THanks

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Aug 13, 2011, 10:21 PM

Don't leave it constantly plugged in, but don't discharge it all the time either. The only thing that discharging completely does for you is to recalibrate the battery sensor. If you think it's giving you incorrect values for the time remaining, then discharge and recharge it, but this won't help the life of your battery (in fact, it'll probably hurt it very, very slightly, but by not by any amount that'll actually matter).

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Aug 14, 2011, 12:30 AM

It has been my experience that Apple's Lithium Polymer batteries really do hold up to Apple's performance claims and perform considerably better over the long term than the older LiOn removable batteries Apple used to use. I was skeptical when Apple went to non-removable LiPo batteries in its laptops, but they work very well in the iDevices and I'm sure they're doing very well in the newer MacBooks because you see very few complaints about them online.

Don't constantly charge it (like Charles says), and don't constantly discharge it. Charge it more frequently but in general don't worry about it. These batteries hold up very well. I know that personally because my 1G iPod touch still does quite well battery wise.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

mduell
Posting Junkie
Aug 15, 2011, 03:23 PM

Don't worry about it too much.

Try not to ever let it go dead unless you're calibrating it.
Run it through at least one equivalent cycle (multiple partial cycles work) a month.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Aug 15, 2011, 09:32 PM

I don't even go that far. Since calibrating doesn't help your battery life, but only helps the accuracy of the battery life readout, I just let it get recalibrated "naturally" if I happen to use up the battery while doing something. If you use your laptop a lot, it'll happen every so often that the battery happens to run down... there's your calibration.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

B Gallagher
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 20, 2011, 10:50 AM

MBP 15" C2D 2.2GHz 4.0GB 500GB@5400
iPhone 4 32GB Black

Forum Links
Forum Rules