Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Roadrunner or ATT DSL?

Roadrunner or ATT DSL?
gorgonzola
Admin Emeritus
Mar 23, 2003, 02:27 AM

What experiences have people had with those two services in New York City?

I have to choose one or the other fairly soon, and I was wondering about reliability, speed, support quality, etc before I signed up anywhere.

Thanks.
"Do not be too positive about things. You may be in error." (C. F. Lawlor, The Mixicologist)

Misanthrope
Mac Elite
Mar 23, 2003, 04:58 AM

RR. Granted, I'm on the other side of the country, but I've heard it's the same all over the place. I absolutely loved my RR line, till I moved.

Mac Zealot
Professional Poster
Mar 23, 2003, 06:01 AM

RR doesn't cap their line. That rooocks!

However, in a place like that it will be variable as hell.

The beautiful thing about dsl is it remains almost EXACTLY static speed, on the east cost it's a ripoff, though.

For me, I've had no problems with speed, cable is cheaper, and faster tho.
In a realm beyond site, the sky shines gold, not blue, there the Triforce's might makes mortal dreams come true.

jckalen
Senior User
Mar 23, 2003, 10:16 AM

Haven't had many experiences with DSL but I can say that Roadrunner ROCKS.
It looks just like a telefunken' U-47 - Zappa

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 23, 2003, 10:23 AM

I've had RR for two years, in Michigan, and it has been extremely reliable. I haven't had a total of three days downtime yet!
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 23, 2003, 11:56 AM

I'm east coast but southerly- I had RR, and switched to BellsouthDSL.

RR did cap their upstream. DSL does also, but it's a higher cap.

RR did have the problems of having many people signed on at once, making everyone's downstream slower.

DSL has no such problem.

Also, the RR people had large amounts of problems with me having more than one machine on the net at a time- they weren't happy at all that I had a router and NATD running.

I asked the Bellsouth people if they cared- their answer was, "Do what you like for networking within your home, but don't expect us to support it."
If this post is in the Lounge forum, it is likely to be my own opinion, and not representative of the position of MacNN.com.

villalobos
Mac Elite
Mar 23, 2003, 12:18 PM

Originally posted by vmarks:
I'm east coast but southerly- I had RR, and switched to BellsouthDSL.

RR did cap their upstream. DSL does also, but it's a higher cap.

RR did have the problems of having many people signed on at once, making everyone's downstream slower.

DSL has no such problem.

Also, the RR people had large amounts of problems with me having more than one machine on the net at a time- they weren't happy at all that I had a router and NATD running.

I asked the Bellsouth people if they cared- their answer was, "Do what you like for networking within your home, but don't expect us to support it."
Used to have Telocity/DirectV DSL until they called it quit. Never had a problem with it. I got now the Earthlink cable through TWC. It is fine too. It is faster, but varies in speed somewhat (although not that much). The other thing is you might get free cable TV with your internet connection. Does not seem to be the case for everybody (not for me), but friends of mine who were not cable tv subscriber got the it when they signed for Cable internet. YMMV.

villa

gorgonzola  (op)
Admin Emeritus
Mar 25, 2003, 01:48 AM

Thanks. Another benefit of RR is that there's no provisioning time, so I won't have to wait like 3 weeks for the line to be ready. It sounds like RR is reliable enough that it sounds like a good bet.

And beyond a point, if it does turn out to be really terrible, it won't be much of a pain to switch. Also, my current DSL isn't that fast (60 K/s max), so I doubt I'll be that disappointed with RR's minimum speeds even when there are a lot of people on the network.

Sounds good.
"Do not be too positive about things. You may be in error." (C. F. Lawlor, The Mixicologist)

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Mar 25, 2003, 02:32 AM

You could install a T1 line and lease bandwith to your neibors at a profit to you and savings to them.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Forum Links
Forum Rules