Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > * Server Upgrades

* Server Upgrades
gorgonzola
Admin Emeritus
Feb 7, 2002, 12:42 PM

Just thought I'd let the readership know of what we managed to do during the Great MacNN Messed-up-ness of 2002 (copying from my post in Sug/Com):

The news server (main webserver) has been upgraded from a single 550 MHz P3 running RedHat to a 1.2 GHz Athlon running FreeBSD 4.5.

The database and email server has been upgraded from a 350 MHz P2 to a 500 MHz, and has also been upgraded clean to FreeBSD 4.5.

The third server (miscellaneous services like IRC as well as MacGeneration forums) has also been upgraded to FreeBSD -- no hardware upgrades. Weren't really necessary.

The forums box hasn't been upgraded because it doesn't need to be, yet. It's a dual 1 GHz P3 running RedHat (we'd install FreeBSD on it, but it only has one drive, and frankly the forums are running well enough for us not to bother at this point in time -- it will be upgraded eventually though).

What you'll see come out of this is greatly improved stability and reliability; the servers are also now more highly optimized and secure, as well as more stable. This was a big upgrade, and there may be some minor turbulence over the sites on the network as they get settled in, but this was the big kahuna -- our servers aren't screwed up anymore, they're really beautifully configured and running like champs. (The upgrade is why they were down for so long, actually.)

In short, we implemented a number of hardware upgrades, cleaned out a lot of old data, and jumped ship to FreeBSD.

That login problem and stuff should also be sorted out now, btw.

Enjoy!

- gorgonzola & MacNN Staff
"Do not be too positive about things. You may be in error." (C. F. Lawlor, The Mixicologist)

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 7, 2002, 12:47 PM

I'm not sure why .... but I guess I always assumed that this system was running on an Apple computer.
- MacBook Air M2 16GB / 512GB
- MacBook Pro 16" i9 2.4Ghz 32GB / 1TB
- MacBook Pro 15" i7 2.9Ghz 16GB / 512GB
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB
- G4 Cube 500Mhz / Shelf display unit / Museum display

coolla
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 7, 2002, 06:45 PM

So does that mean Mac Desktops will stay with the network then? They have no more reason to want to leave!

MikeM33
Mac Elite
Feb 7, 2002, 07:00 PM

Originally posted by gorgonzola:
That login problem and stuff should also be sorted out now, btw.
Not for me, I still can't seem to login using my MikeM32 user name

Mike

daimoni
Occasionally Quoted
Feb 7, 2002, 11:52 PM

( Last edited by daimoni; Apr 23, 2004 at 04:03 PM. )

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 8, 2002, 04:36 AM

just out of passing interest, how many users are there on the macnn forums?

gorgonzola  (op)
Admin Emeritus
Feb 8, 2002, 06:47 AM

Originally posted by scaught:
<STRONG>just out of passing interest, how many users are there on the macnn forums?</STRONG>
Eh, over 25000 last I checked, which wasn't that recently. Lots, anyway.
"Do not be too positive about things. You may be in error." (C. F. Lawlor, The Mixicologist)

Forum Links
Forum Rules