Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Apple LaserWriter 300 -- supported?

Apple LaserWriter 300 -- supported?
gorgonzola
Admin Emeritus
Oct 28, 2001, 09:50 PM

I have an old serial-based Apple LaserWriter 300 that still works remarkably well. Does anyone happen to know whether it'll work in X with a serial-to-USB adapter or whether I'll have to shell out for a new laser printer?

thx.
"Do not be too positive about things. You may be in error." (C. F. Lawlor, The Mixicologist)

Musti
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 29, 2001, 01:26 AM

Originally posted by gorgonzola:
<STRONG>I have an old serial-based Apple LaserWriter 300 that still works remarkably well. Does anyone happen to know whether it'll work in X with a serial-to-USB adapter or whether I'll have to shell out for a new laser printer?

thx.</STRONG>
It might be wrong, but I saw a thread somewhere that the LaserWriter 300 uses a different printing language (QuickDraw) and different communications, and hence is not supported.
Too bad, I wish there is a way around this. I love my 300...

belgica
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 6, 2001, 03:27 AM

Unfortunately, no way under OSX now.
Neither DIRECTLY under Classic.
And probably never.

Might be possible anyway under Classic : connect the PLW300 to another (old) Mac with ethernet and share the printer.
Go under Classic and select the shared printer in the Chooser.
Save your file as PDF under X, and open it under Classic to print.

I know it's ugly ...

I personaly will give the PLW300 to my parents (instead of their Stylewriter II with 8500/120) and find a Postscript level 2 Laserwriter in secondhand.

Philippe

Brass
Professional Poster
Nov 6, 2001, 09:04 PM

Originally posted by belgica:
<STRONG>Unfortunately, no way under OSX now.
Neither DIRECTLY under Classic.
And probably never.
</STRONG>
Well, I have set up a client using a Personal Laser Writer LS (predecessor to the 300) which uses the same driver (LaserWriter 300/LS). It works fine under Classic in OS X through a MiniDock USB/serial adapter.

I've been racking my brain trying to find a way to print to it directly using OS X. Theoretically, should be able to share it from Classic, but still need a driver to see it on the network in OS X and print to it.

There is also a freeware "bridge" driver which will allow you to print postscript (instead of quickdraw) to the LW 300. But that didn't help me either, because it doesn't printer-share.

Forum Links
Forum Rules