Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Our Archives > General Archives > Delicious Monster > Delicious Library 2 Leopard only, huh?

Delicious Library 2 Leopard only, huh?
brokenjago
Mac Elite
Feb 21, 2007, 03:02 AM

So I just read your very infrequently updated official blog.

I see that you mentioned some cool stuff like us users making you all ultra rich etc etc and donating to Child's Play (which is really damn cool!)

One thing in particular that struck me is that you mentioned that people should buy DL 1 now because

a) DL2 is still a ways off and;
b) DL2 will be Leopard only and the absolute earliest Leopard could be released is late March (according to unconfirmed rumors,) ergo the earliest your app could be out is late March.

Interesting on the Leopard Exclusivity. I'm sure you're taking full and awesome advantage of great things like Core Animation, Automated Garbage Collection (woo! drastically reduced memory leakage!), UTIs, other Objective-C 2.0 goodies I don't know about, resolution independence, possibly 64-bit (dunno why that would need to be there but hey, it's your app,) and all the other great stuff in there (perhaps a plug in for iChat theatre? Showcase your library with style! That would be sweeeet.)

However, don't you think this limits your target audience significantly? Obviously you want to make the collest software ever, and you guys rock at that.

I might add that since I'll be upgrading to Leopard almost immediately that to me it's not an issue of access to the application, but simply one of philosophical debate. IIRC, It took a while before a significant portion of the masses moved over to Tiger.

Does it concern you that DL2 might initially have sluggish sales due to low penetration of the OS? Again, no crticisms. Just some thoughts.

Another question. Will DL1 perhaps be available at a discounted price for those who wish to stay with 10.4 or 10.3?

Edit: I'm not trying to start an argument, and don't mean to give off that vibe.
( Last edited by brokenjago; Feb 21, 2007 at 03:12 AM. )
Linkinus is king.

Delicious Monster
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 21, 2007, 08:24 PM

You bastard. I'll kill you!

Just kidding. Obviously, you have to figure one of two scenarios. Either we've considered the very issues you've raised, or we're idiots. In the former case, we'd have no reason to be defensive about them, as we've already answered them to ourselves and people only get crazy belligerent when they feel trapped. In the latter case, you might just be saving our company by bringing up some basic issues we've become too disconnected from reality to realize.

In either case, our customers are people who like us and buy software. Research and experience tell us that people who meet those two criteria like Apple better and buy their software first. In other words, our customers will all be using Leopard, and it would be worse to not take advantage of all the hot new sexy than to try to maintain backwards compatibility.

In the real world there are always going to be outliers, but I think the way to deal with them is to encourage them to move into Leopard, and not reward them for staying in Tiger or *shudder* Panther. Given that the vast majority of our users will be on Delicious Library 2, it would only be fair to dedicate our time supporting and patching that code base, and not messing around in the guts of Delicious Library 1.6.

-- Mike

THE MAC GOD
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 1, 2007, 01:06 PM

I'm psyched for DL2... When the first version was even mentioned and the placeholder website was up, I knew it was going to be something special... You would be amazed at how many people I've converted to the Mac soley on showing them Delicious Library. Then I show them other cool stuff, but DL is a winner.
I can't wait for v.2.

All as artificial as the Matrix itself, although only a human mind could invent something as insipid as Love.

Forum Links
Forum Rules