Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Unlimited music from Apple?

Unlimited music from Apple?
tridentinecanon
Mar 19, 2008, 09:45 AM

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 19, 2008, 09:56 AM

Only for 1 year, then you renew to whatever service you prefer.
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Mar 19, 2008, 10:18 AM

Not so good for the little guy - the independents. Unless, of course, Apple will still pay up for each song "sold".

(of course, that's only going on what I can see before the article decides it wants me to register, which is not going to happen)
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Mar 19, 2008, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
Not so good for the little guy - the independents. Unless, of course, Apple will still pay up for each song "sold".

(of course, that's only going on what I can see before the article decides it wants me to register, which is not going to happen)
did you try macnn/macnn for username/password? we had a thread about that a while back. one login we could all use. if email is the username, then i think that was talked about too.

moep
Senior User
Mar 19, 2008, 11:00 AM

Click the link, replace the "false" in the URL with "true" and profit.

Credit for this goes to bugmenot and the genius developers of this website.
"The road to success is dotted with the most tempting parking spaces."

Nodnarb
Mac Elite
Mar 19, 2008, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by moep View Post
Click the link, replace the "false" in the URL with "true" and profit.

Credit for this goes to bugmenot and the genius developers of this website.
I like, I like!

I'd be down with the plan, but for some reason I don't see the record companies allowing you to pay $20 and get all the music you want. I thought they were trying to kick apple out of the music business, not help them tremendously?

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Mar 19, 2008, 11:22 AM

Odd. I just clicked on the same link in the OP (ready to do the aforementioned trickery - thanks fellas) and it came up.

OK. Had a read.
A flat rate per device is bad, bad news for the independents.

Let's take a look:

Nokia is understood to be offering almost $80 per handset to music industry partners, to be divided according to their share of the market.
So, in order to make any money and take a share, you essentially have to be a major record company and have thousands of artistes (making up your "market share"). If you're an independent who plays and records, say, steel drums, you have almost zero market share so you're not going to get any money. Additionally, your meagre percentage is no longer tied to whether people want to buy your music and how many copies people buy - your income will be tied to how many iPod sales Apple make. So, you're no longer reliant on how hard or well you work, you're reliant on how well Apple's marketing department work.

Screw that.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

starman
Clinically Insane
Mar 19, 2008, 11:50 AM

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Nodnarb
Mac Elite
Mar 19, 2008, 03:20 PM

I like that article above. It's what I was thinking, and it says it in a very well thought out manner.

I'd bet that some sort of subscription service is coming down the pipeline. It'll be interesting to see how they do it, because I don't know if I'd be on board if it's "unlimited songs while you pay $x/month and when you stop paying you get... nothing"

I don't like that model one bit.

Rumor
Mar 19, 2008, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post

10 Minute Mail
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

Forum Links
Forum Rules