Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > ITMS Movie rental on Mac - can I stream to ATV, then watch on Mac?

ITMS Movie rental on Mac - can I stream to ATV, then watch on Mac?
Diggory Laycock
Professional Poster
May 13, 2011, 09:22 AM

Hi,

I had an odd issue with the iTunes Store the other day and was wondering if anyone could explain it?

I rented a film on my Mac. It downloaded. I began to watch it by streaming it from the Mac to my AppleTV (version 2)
Half-way through I paused the film, and went somewhere else. Then I tried to watch the rest of the film on my Mac it failed to resume properly - iTunes asked to authorise the Mac (which was odd as it was already authorised.) I entered my details, then the movie tried to play, but just showed a black screen, and no audio - no movie playing at all. If I tried pausing and restarting the movie - but iTunes stated 'could not play the rental because it it authorised to play on another computer or device.'

I contacted Apple Support and they refunded me the cost of the film - but here's my question: was it a bug, or once you start to stream a rented film to an AppleTV are you no longer allowed to watch that film on your Mac?

Thanks

Atheist
Mac Elite
May 13, 2011, 09:56 AM

I noticed you also have a thread open about your Apple ID. You may want to make sure you haven't inadvertently linked your AppleTV to a different account than your Mac. I know it sounds weird but it's entirely possible. Check out my AppleID Hell thread.

Diggory Laycock  (op)
Professional Poster
May 13, 2011, 06:43 PM

Thanks for the tip, but no - I only have one appleID account.

Forum Links
Forum Rules