Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > The Screen On My New Powerbook

The Screen On My New Powerbook
Monkeymike
Forum Regular
Oct 29, 2003, 01:06 PM

Hello!

I got a new 15" 1.25 GHz Powerbook 2 weeks ago and it has a pleasure to use. I did not have the issue with white spots and have no dead pixels. I have however, run into an issue that I wanted to get some advice on. I upgraded to Panther and now my screen seems to be darker on one side than the other. One side is actually brighter!

I did not notice this for the first two weeks I had the machine...only after upgrading to 10.3 did it become apparent. Is there anything I should try before sending it back?
"The sleeper must awaken"

15" Al Powerbook G4 1.25 Ghz
iBook 800
G4 Flat Panel iMac 700
Airport
10 gig 2nd Gen iPod

herbsman
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 29, 2003, 01:28 PM

you sure its not just the default desktop image that gets darker towards the bottom portion of the screen.

or is the shift in tones moving from left to right.

Monkeymike  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 29, 2003, 02:10 PM

Yeah I am pretty sure.....I looked at a lot of desktops and even checked it with solid colors.

I still seemes to be brighter on the left side of the screen!!

iBook 800
G4 Flat Panel iMac 700
Airport
10 gig 2nd Gen iPod

gomariners
Oct 29, 2003, 08:51 PM

Originally posted by Monkeymike:
Yeah I am pretty sure.....I looked at a lot of desktops and even checked it with solid colors.

I still seemes to be brighter on the left side of the screen!!
I noticed the exact same thing and did the search. My left side is brighter than my right, although I did notice it before, but convinced myself it was just my imagination (involved home lighting). Now am at work and am running 10.3 and it is very clear. What's the deal?

Vann Koover
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 30, 2003, 02:16 AM

I also noticed the same thing on my 15"Al, but for me it didn't happen until I upgraded to 10.2.8

The uneven brightness only comes out when my brightness settings are less than 100%, and occurs after the ambient low light detector kicks in. Perhaps the ambient light sensor is off a bit?

k...

tkafen
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 30, 2003, 01:30 PM

Same thing here on a 1.25 Albook, post pather install and my left side of screen is lighter than right, also there is A brighter part along the very right edge towards the bottom. Has anyone gone back an OS version to see if the problem persists?

Monkeymike  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 30, 2003, 08:44 PM

I thought about going back to Jag and see if the screen is fixed but I don't have time to do that right now. I am working on scoring a short film and it is too much hassle at the moment.

iBook 800
G4 Flat Panel iMac 700
Airport
10 gig 2nd Gen iPod

Vann Koover
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 31, 2003, 03:49 AM

tkafen.

That describes my uneven screen brightness to a tee. I have a 1Ghz 15" Al running on Jag 12.2.8

However, if I set my brightness to 100% everything is okay.

Vann Koover
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 31, 2003, 03:50 AM

Sorry, 10.2.8

tkafen
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 3, 2003, 04:31 PM

bump...

Any news?

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 3, 2003, 05:09 PM

Check the discussion boards on the Apple website for threads on your screen issue. There's often a lot of useful information there for problems ranging from critical to the most minute.

bernt
Forum Regular
Nov 3, 2003, 05:40 PM

I just discovered that my screen is brighter on the left side as well. It is specially easy to see, as I have stickies all over my screen, and the ones at the left side is yellow and clear, whilst the ones at the right side is greyish. My problem doesn't go away if I turn the brightness to max either, like it did for others.

I am really annoyed with Apple right now, as I'm coming from an iBook 800 that I had to send to service twice because of stupid screen issues. Know I have used a lot of money on a new PowerBook 1,25 and have gotten both this problem as well as the white spots problem. What's up with the quality control, Apple? This is ridiculous, get your grip together!

erlend
PowerBook 15" 1.25G/1G/80G | iMac G5 17" 1.6G/1.5G/300G | MacBook Pro 15" CD2.0G/1.5G/120G | MacBook C2D 2.2G/4G/160G

arekkusu
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 3, 2003, 07:36 PM

Same here, screen is brighter on left. It does lessen or go away completely if I turn brightness all the way up and wait 10 minutes. But the right side is usually noticeably darker after waking from sleep again.

John G. Stillmank
Nov 3, 2003, 08:04 PM

YES! I have this exact same problem. Screen was beautiful before Panther. The left-side-brighter / right-side-darker problem did not show up right away after I upgraded, but it is that way now. I have a friend who has the exact same setup with her exact same Powerbook and she does not have the problem.

I've been living with it for now but it's a huge relief (strangely) to see the others have experienced this problem.

What can we do? I don't want to downgrade to check it if is just Panther.
15" Aluminum Powerbook G4, 1.25GHz, 1GB, 80GB. Airport Extreme. 4G iPod 60GB.

NightEyes
Forum Regular
Nov 3, 2003, 10:15 PM

Same issue here. I called AppleCare today but they didn't have anything definitive to offer, other than offering to have me send in my PowerBook for testing. I need the thing for the next few days so I declined for now.

Forum Links
Forum Rules