Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > 46.000 registered to vote in both NY and Florida

46.000 registered to vote in both NY and Florida
spacefreak
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 22, 2004, 07:31 PM

Simply amazing.
Some 46,000 New Yorkers are registered to vote in both the city and Florida, a shocking finding that exposes both states to potential abuses that could alter the outcome of elections, a Daily News investigation shows.

The News' investigation also found:

- Of the 46,000 registered in both states, 68% are Democrats, 12% are Republicans and 16% didn't claim a party.

- Nearly 1,700 of those registered in both states requested that absentee ballots be mailed to their home in the other state, where they are also registered. But that doesn't raise red flags with officials in either place.
Yet another reason why I am in favor of a national ID card.

angaq0k
Mac Elite
Aug 22, 2004, 09:05 PM

Originally posted by spacefreak:
Simply amazing.Yet another reason why I am in favor of a national ID card.
And how was it in Florida, 2000 again?
"******* politics is for the ******* moment. ******** equations are for ******** Eternity." ******** Albert Einstein

macvillage.net
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 22, 2004, 09:51 PM

Simply amazing.Yet another reason why I am in favor of a national ID card.
A national ID card wouldn't solve it.

The biggest problem facing elections is people registering in swing states. People who can register in either NY or FL, register in FL, since NY is a closed case.

What's really needed is election *reform*.

I'm personally against a national ID card because then I would be subject to jury duty (something I refuse to do). Right now the state of NJ used the voter registration database (since it's a cheap way to get a list of US citizens who reside in NJ by county). So I'm clear just by not registering to vote. But if there's a national ID card, one of the things they are discussing is requiring all states to use that database as the official database of citizens in their state (mainly for law enforcement, tax and immigration purposes), but you know that's going to extend to jury duty too.

I'll never serve regardless. I'm a fan of the word 'guilty'. But I'd rather not even get the letter to serve. Waste of paper. Just makes me feel more certain that the person is guilty.

ChrisF
Senior User
Aug 22, 2004, 11:46 PM

I'm personally against a national ID card because then I would be subject to jury duty (something I refuse to do). Right now the state of NJ used the voter registration database (since it's a cheap way to get a list of US citizens who reside in NJ by county). So I'm clear just by not registering to vote.
Nice try, but you are on jury lists if you've paid tax in NJ, have a driver's license, or are registered to vote. You've just been lucky enough to not receive a summons. It's been this way since at least 1995.

spacefreak  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 23, 2004, 12:20 AM

Originally posted by macvillage.net:
I'm personally against a national ID card because then I would be subject to jury duty (something I refuse to do). ...

I'll never serve regardless. I'm a fan of the word 'guilty'. But I'd rather not even get the letter to serve. Waste of paper. Just makes me feel more certain that the person is guilty.
You are kidding, right?

macvillage.net
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 23, 2004, 09:55 AM

Originally posted by ChrisF:
Nice try, but you are on jury lists if you've paid tax in NJ, have a driver's license, or are registered to vote. You've just been lucky enough to not receive a summons. It's been this way since at least 1995.
May want to check with your county.

NJ's DMV's database is so corrupt it's silly (there's a reason why every terrorist/criminal comes to NJ to get their drivers license when entering the country). As far as taxes go... we know how messed up that one is as well.

The voter database is the only one where they verify anything.

I don't do jury duty... bottom line. Nothing will change that.

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 23, 2004, 01:45 PM

I�m just curious how you seem to think expressing such a sentiment and touting your unwillingness to perform a civic duty honestly, gives you credibility to come off as objective or rational on any other subject?

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Aug 23, 2004, 02:08 PM

Originally posted by CRASH HARDDRIVE:
I�m just curious how you seem to think expressing such a sentiment and touting your unwillingness to perform a civic duty honestly, gives you credibility to come off as objective or rational on any other subject?
My thoughts exactly.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

macvillage.net
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 23, 2004, 02:13 PM

Originally posted by CRASH HARDDRIVE:
1. Don't consider it a 'civic duty', but 'cheap labor'.
2. Waste of time. The judge ultimately decides what a Jury can use to make a decision. So the judge really makes the decision.

If every American were required to spend 1 day doing something productive like work at a school... I wouldn't be so against that. Saves the government money, and improves America.

There's no legitimate reason to even have jury duty. Just a reason for the government to force people take a day off from work, and loose a day's pay for an amazing $10/day check (before tax).

I've got no reason to be a cheap puppet.

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 23, 2004, 02:22 PM

Above and beyond your complete lack of understanding of the jury system (perhaps you�ll have a greater appreciation of it someday if you are ever on trail, and you�ll be thankful that 12 people with your own rotten attitude aren�t selected to hear your case) you expressed a willingness to decide a person�s guilt merely because you feel inconvenienced by a summons.

That goes way beyond merely disagreeing with jury duty being a civic duty or not.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Aug 23, 2004, 02:46 PM

1. Don't consider it a 'civic duty', but 'cheap labor'.
2. Waste of time. The judge ultimately decides what a Jury can use to make a decision. So the judge really makes the decision.

If every American were required to spend 1 day doing something productive like work at a school... I wouldn't be so against that. Saves the government money, and improves America.

There's no legitimate reason to even have jury duty. Just a reason for the government to force people take a day off from work, and loose a day's pay for an amazing $10/day check (before tax).

I've got no reason to be a cheap puppet.
That's one way to try and justify your illegal beahvior.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

dreilly1
Mac Elite
Aug 23, 2004, 02:55 PM

Not in New York State. I'm still registered to vote in Queens (and I still get Jury Duty summonses), even though I haven't lived there (and, obviously, haven't voted there) since I finished my undergrad degree in 97. I know this because my parents still live in the same house, and get voter information and jury summonses in my name there. They simply never bothered to take me off the rolls. I wish they'd take me off the rolls in Queens so I don't get any more jury summonses. I even wrote a letter after my first summons five or six years ago stating that I don't live in Queens now and could they please take me off the jury duty rolls, and I got a new summons a few years later!

But I've lived in the Rochester area since 98, and have voted here every year since then. So, technically, I'm registered to vote in two places too. For all I know, I'm registered in three places, since I moved from Monroe county to Ontario county in 99.

With so many transplanted New Yorkers in Florida, I'm suprised there aren't more people doubly registered!

Member of the the Stupid Brigade! (If you see Sponsored Links in any of my posts, please PM me!)

PacHead
Baninated
Aug 23, 2004, 02:58 PM

How does one explain that 68 % of those holding dual registrations are democrats ?

Is there organized cheating/fraud going on ? Judging solely on the numbers, one can conclude that Republicans are more honest than democrats.

Another fraudulent democrat is M.Mooreon, who also has multiple registrations. Anybody voting twice should be dealt with and prosecuted.

macvillage.net
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 23, 2004, 03:04 PM

Originally posted by dreilly1:
Not in New York State. I'm still registered to vote in Queens (and I still get Jury Duty summonses), even though I haven't lived there (and, obviously, haven't voted there) since I finished my undergrad degree in 97. I know this because my parents still live in the same house, and get voter information and jury summonses in my name there. They simply never bothered to take me off the rolls. I wish they'd take me off the rolls in Queens so I don't get any more jury summonses. I even wrote a letter after my first summons five or six years ago stating that I don't live in Queens now and could they please take me off the jury duty rolls, and I got a new summons a few years later!

But I've lived in the Rochester area since 98, and have voted here every year since then. So, technically, I'm registered to vote in two places too. For all I know, I'm registered in three places, since I moved from Monroe county to Ontario county in 99.

With so many transplanted New Yorkers in Florida, I'm suprised there aren't more people doubly registered!
New York also has a lot less fraud with getting a license.

Again, there's a reason why everyone from terrorists, to criminals go to NJ when starting here.

It's extremely easy to get a license here. They don't look at anything. Heck they don't even require you to have a picture if your over 21 years of age (though you sometimes have trouble boarding an aircraft now without 2 gov issued photo ID's, and passport is only 1).

ChrisF
Senior User
Aug 23, 2004, 04:56 PM

I last lived in NJ in 1992 and was an active, registered voter in that election. I have not voted in NJ since then yet each year until 2003 I was sent registration confirmations when my mother finally contacted the registrar of voters to tell them I had not lived there in 11 years... and you honestly think that they verify this database?

macvillage.net
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 23, 2004, 05:15 PM

Originally posted by ChrisF:
I last lived in NJ in 1992 and was an active, registered voter in that election. I have not voted in NJ since then yet each year until 2003 I was sent registration confirmations when my mother finally contacted the registrar of voters to tell them I had not lived there in 11 years... and you honestly think that they verify this database?
It's more than they do for licenses.

Zimphire
Baninated
Aug 30, 2004, 03:23 PM

Makes one wonder who really won the popular vote..

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Aug 30, 2004, 03:35 PM

Originally posted by Zimphire:
I just wonder how many Dems voted twice over all.
Likewise, I wonder how many Republicans voted twice. 12% of 46,000 is 5,500. That's not 31,000, but still not a small enough number to brush aside. I also wonder if this phenomena is restricted to NY/Florida.

spacefreak  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 30, 2004, 03:40 PM

Originally posted by PacHead:
Another fraudulent democrat is M. Mooreon, who also has multiple registrations. Anybody voting twice should be dealt with and prosecuted.
Where did you hear/read this (about Moore)? I haven't heard that before.

As for prosecution... how about those caught voting more than once in a given election be stripped of their voting rights forever?

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 30, 2004, 03:40 PM

How does one explain that 68 % of those holding dual registrations are democrats ?

Is there organized cheating/fraud going on ? Judging solely on the numbers, one can conclude that Republicans are more honest than democrats.

Another fraudulent democrat is M.Mooreon, who also has multiple registrations. Anybody voting twice should be dealt with and prosecuted.
I wonder what you'll say next week when your team may be in hot water? Republicans have been accused of voting fraud in the past as well, so it's a systemic problem.

Timo
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 30, 2004, 03:46 PM

I'm personally against a national ID card because then I would be subject to jury duty (something I refuse to do). Right now the state of NJ used the voter registration database (since it's a cheap way to get a list of US citizens who reside in NJ by county). So I'm clear just by not registering to vote. But if there's a national ID card, one of the things they are discussing is requiring all states to use that database as the official database of citizens in their state (mainly for law enforcement, tax and immigration purposes), but you know that's going to extend to jury duty too.]
n:

It's not a choice, it's your civic duty.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Aug 30, 2004, 03:49 PM

How does one explain that 68 % of those holding dual registrations are democrats?
How does one explain that 12% are Republicans? If there's cheating going on here, Republicans aren't innocent, they just aren't as good at it as Democrats.

soul searching
Mac Elite
Aug 30, 2004, 03:50 PM

...Judging solely on the numbers, one can conclude that Republicans are more honest than democrats....

You'd give any of my stats professors a heart attack

"I think of lotteries as a tax on the mathematically challenged." -- Roger Jones

Zimphire
Baninated
Aug 30, 2004, 03:51 PM

Originally posted by Wiskedjak:
How does one explain that 12% are Republicans? If there's cheating going on here, Republicans aren't innocent, they just aren't as good at it as Democrats.
12% compared to 65%

While there is no doubt cheating goes on with BOTHS sides. I think we see which side is being more honest when it comes to voting.

PacHead
Baninated
Aug 30, 2004, 03:51 PM

Originally posted by itai195:
I wonder what you'll say next week when your team may be in hot water? Republicans have been accused of voting fraud in the past as well, so it's a systemic problem.
The thing you're wrong on, is I have no team. I don't belong to any particular party. There is no doubt who I want to win this particular time around, but I don't follow anybody blindly.

The main issue for me is War. Anything else pales in comparison.

PacHead
Baninated
Aug 30, 2004, 03:54 PM

Where did you hear/read this (about Moore)? I haven't heard that before.
I heard it awhile back on the smoking gun.

http://www.newsmax.com/archives/ic/2...8/173124.shtml

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 30, 2004, 03:54 PM

The thing you're wrong on, is I have no team. I don't belong to any particular party. There is no doubt who I want to win this particular time around, but I don't follow anybody blindly.
And yet you're so quick to label liberals... Anyway, my point isn't whether you personally have a team or not, it's that voter fraud isn't a partisan issue.

soul searching
Mac Elite
Aug 30, 2004, 04:05 PM

12% compared to 65%

While there is no doubt cheating goes on with BOTHS sides. I think we see which side is being more honest when it comes to voting.
You're still basing this on only one report. And you don't even know if cheating is going on. You may belive that and draw that conclusion but it'd be silly to say that it's the exact same thing throughout the nation (e.g., ~12% vs ~65%).

"I think of lotteries as a tax on the mathematically challenged." -- Roger Jones

Zimphire
Baninated
Aug 30, 2004, 04:17 PM

Originally posted by soul searching:
You're still basing this on only one report. And you don't even know if cheating is going on. You may belive that and draw that conclusion but it'd be silly to say that it's the exact same thing throughout the nation (e.g., ~12% vs ~65%).
It would have effected Florida in a major way.

I would LOVE to see this nation wide.

Not a lot of people have more than one residence. But there are a lot of New Yorkers that have Florida residences.

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 30, 2004, 04:19 PM

Not a lot of people have more than one residence. But there are a lot of New Yorkers that have Florida residences.
Jesus has a house in every neighborhood, I wonder how many votes he gets.

Zimphire
Baninated
Aug 30, 2004, 04:20 PM

Originally posted by itai195:
Jesus has a house in every neighborhood, I wonder how many votes he gets.
My mom likes lettuce on her hamburgers.

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 30, 2004, 04:25 PM

My mom likes lettuce on her hamburgers.
Gross.

Forum Links
Forum Rules