Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Florida says die scumbags, die!

Florida says die scumbags, die!
BoomStick
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 6, 2005, 01:34 PM

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/04/05/dea....ap/index.html

The measure essentially extends a right Floridians already have in their home or car. Under present law, however, people attacked anywhere else are supposed to do what they can to avoid escalating the situation and can use deadly force only after they've tried to retreat.

"I'm sorry, people, but if I'm attacked I shouldn't have a duty to retreat," said the bill's sponsor, state Rep. Dennis Baxley. "That's a good way to get shot in the back."

Baxley said that if people have the clear right to defend themselves without having to worry about legal consequences, criminals will think twice.

demograph68
Professional Poster
Apr 6, 2005, 01:41 PM

An eye for an eye makes the world blind.

budster101
Baninated
Location: Illinois might be cold and flat, but at least it's ugly.
Apr 6, 2005, 01:50 PM

Originally posted by demograph68:
An eye for an eye makes the world blind.
No, it makes a bunch of people with one eye... and no depth perception.

Edit: Unless they are repeat offenders...

BoomStick  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 6, 2005, 01:56 PM

Defending yourself keeps you from becoming a forgotten statistic while your murderer gets coddled for a couple of months.

adamk
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 6, 2005, 02:50 PM

Originally posted by BoomStick:

The measure essentially extends a right Floridians already have in their home or car. Under present law, however, people attacked anywhere else are supposed to do what they can to avoid escalating the situation and can use deadly force only after they've tried to retreat.

"I'm sorry, people, but if I'm attacked I shouldn't have a duty to retreat," said the bill's sponsor, state Rep. Dennis Baxley. "That's a good way to get shot in the back."

Baxley said that if people have the clear right to defend themselves without having to worry about legal consequences, criminals will think twice.
have i got this right? if a person walks up to you at night, and you feel threatened, you can shoot the person with no consequences. in fact, he doesn't even need to be walking towards you. he could be across the street giving you the evil eye, and you can still shoot them, as long as you feel threatened? when he only wanted change for a five?

it seems like this law is useful only if you carry a gun around with you at all times.

it's my feeling that if a scumbag wants to kill you for whatever reason, he's going to do it.
"do unto others as you would have them do unto you" begins with yrself.

"He that fights for Allah's cause fights for himself. Allah does not need His creatures' help." -koran, the spider, 29:7

SVass
Mac Elite
Apr 6, 2005, 02:56 PM

So tell me what happens when the Feds use a no-knock warrant to break into your house and you shoot them? Or what happens when they shoot you for being armed?? sam

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 6, 2005, 02:59 PM

That law is going to be wide open for test cases, and unfortunately, some body will get locked away for a long time because he/she won't be able to justify killing somebody in the name of self defense. This sounds like another idiotic response to a problem that doesn't exist, except in the minds of a very few nut jobs.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

budster101
Baninated
Apr 6, 2005, 03:00 PM

Originally posted by adamk:
have i got this right? if a person walks up to you at night, and you feel threatened, you can shoot the person with no consequences. in fact, he doesn't even need to be walking towards you. he could be across the street giving you the evil eye, and you can still shoot them, as long as you feel threatened? when he only wanted change for a five?

it seems like this law is useful only if you carry a gun around with you at all times.

it's my feeling that if a scumbag wants to kill you for whatever reason, he's going to do it.
Hey, what are you complaining about?

This is Florida after all, odds are... (finish this.)

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 6, 2005, 03:13 PM

Originally posted by adamk:
have i got this right?
You have it wrong.

If you walk up to me and I'm scared of you, I "can't" shoot you.

If you walk up to me yelling and screaming, and I'm scared of you, I "can't" shoot you.

If you walk up to me and threaten me with a weapon -- but I don't see a weapon -- and I'm scared of you, I probably "can't" shoot you.

If you walk up to me and threaten me with a weapon -- and I see the weapon -- and I'm scared of you, I probably "can" shoot you.

If you walk up to me and threaten me with a weapon -- and I see the weapon -- and you act as though you're going to try and harm me with the weapon, I "can" shoot you.

Point being, if you feel as though your life is about to be put in danger, literally, you can use lethal force.

One funny note in Texas gun laws is that if you come onto my property and steal my water hose, by state law, I can use lethal force. That's pretty funny. Of course, you'd have a hard time in court over that, but by law, lethal force is acceptable when someone steals ANY of your property.

Maury
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

SVass
Mac Elite
Apr 6, 2005, 03:54 PM

Washington State Constitution

SECTION 24 RIGHT TO BEAR ARMS.
The right of the individual citizen to bear arms in defense of himself, or the state, shall not be impaired, but nothing in this Section shall be construed as authorizing individuals or corporations to organize, maintain or employ an armed body of men.

sam

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Apr 6, 2005, 04:34 PM

a little revision here.

If you walk up to me and I'm scared of you, I won't shoot you.

If you walk up to me yelling and screaming, and I'm scared of you, I won't shoot you.

If you walk up to me and threaten me with a weapon -- but I don't see a weapon -- and I'm scared of you, I may kill you (depends on the specific situation).

If you walk up to me and threaten me with a weapon -- and I see the weapon -- and I'm scared of you, I will most likely kill you.

If you walk up to me and threaten me with a weapon -- and I see the weapon -- and you act as though you're going to try and harm me with the weapon, I will definitely kill you.

So tell me what happens when the Feds use a no-knock warrant to break into your house and you shoot them? Or what happens when they shoot you for being armed??
That's a very isolated case, but most likely they'd be yelling "Federal Agent!" and flashing badges. However, if they didn't, I'd probably be shooting to kill, thinking it's a home invasion. But, since they and the state/county police know that I'm well armed, they'd be more inclined to politely knock on my door. I can hear the sheriff now, "You're going to break in on him? You're crazy!"
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

zizban
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 6, 2005, 05:54 PM

Originally posted by BoomStick:

What is this, the Wild West? Peace breeds peace.Violence breeds violence.
"In darkness there is strength, therefore strength is darkness."

bubblewrap
Senior User
Apr 6, 2005, 06:42 PM

Peace breeds victims.
To create a universe
You must taste
The forbidden fruit.

krankklown
Apr 6, 2005, 07:35 PM

Originally posted by zizban:
Ah, so let me keep a box of Twinkies in my pants so I can hand them out to those who would otherwise kill me for my Nikes.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 6, 2005, 09:36 PM

Originally posted by zizban:
Kumbaya my lord, kumbaya
Kumbaya my lord, kumbaya
Kumbaya my lord, kumbaya
Oh lord, kumbaya

Someone�s singing lord, kumbaya
Oh lord, kumbayah

Someone�s laughing, lord, kumbaya
Oh lord, kumbaya

Someone�s crying, lord, kumbaya
Oh lord, kumbaya

Someone�s praying, lord, kumbaya
Oh lord, kumbaya

Someone�s sleeping, lord, kumbaya
Oh lord, kumbaya
Oh lord, kumbaya

"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

budster101
Baninated
Apr 7, 2005, 09:47 AM

Actually, this new law only says that if you are in your Home, Garage, Porch, you can defend yourself without having to;

1. Tell the intruder to get out
2. Run away and hide if possible

This is the rule in NJ.....

Imagine that.

You cannot shoot someone at the office, on the street, or driveway...

---

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Apr 7, 2005, 11:35 AM

Originally posted by SVass:
Washington State Constitution

SECTION 24 RIGHT TO BEAR ARMS.
Any man who finds his natural number of limbs to be insufficient has the right to take up to five (5) from woodland creatures for whatever use he deems necessary.
Fixed.�
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

budster101
Baninated
Apr 7, 2005, 11:38 AM

I may have misunderstood this thread.

Did you mean: Bare Arms? Bear Arms? or Bear Arms?

Forum Links
Forum Rules