Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > External HD - how best to format?

External HD - how best to format?
smithy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 17, 2008, 04:39 PM

Hi ,
I'm wondering how to best format a WD My Book Studio 750gb? It's already formatted as HFS+. I've a MBP running XP on Bootcamp, which I mostly use, and OSX Tiger which I use infrequently. The external HD will be used as backup just by me, mostly large-ish files, not many small docs.

Easiest i suppose would be FAT32 using some third party app, although i've read that its performance is rubbish on partitions over 32gb. I don't want to use NTFS because if the Bootcamp partition goes tits up I won't be able to read the hd from OSX, I understand. I've just read about the Linux Ext2 format which OSX and XP could both read but I don't know too much about it, I've never done anything with Linux before.

Does anybody have any decent suggestions please? I'm just confused at the moment
Out of interest, is it possible to repartition the disk keeping some HFS+ and making the rest FAT32?
Would Partition Magic work from XP on it?

thanks in advance,
smithy.

ibook_steve
Feb 17, 2008, 08:10 PM

Stick with HFS+ and use MacDrive (Mediafour | Home) on the Windows side.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

mduell
Posting Junkie
Feb 17, 2008, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by smithy View Post
Easiest i suppose would be FAT32 using some third party app, although i've read that its performance is rubbish on partitions over 32gb. I don't want to use NTFS because if the Bootcamp partition goes tits up I won't be able to read the hd from OSX, I understand.
NTFS is the way to go. OSX can read it natively (out of the box), and write to it with free software.

smithy  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 18, 2008, 08:25 AM

Thanks ibook_steve and mduell,

ibook_steve - as I only use OSx fairly infrequently I don't really want to spend extra £££ on it, but it's good to know of that.

mduell - that's great! i didn't know you could write to NTFS with OSX - what's the software called? (I'll google it in the meantime...)

cheers,
smithy.

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 18, 2008, 11:33 AM

One title that will let OS X write to an NTFS partition is called "MacFuse". There are others that Google will help you find.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

smithy  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 18, 2008, 08:26 PM

Thanks ghporter, I saw that one come up a lot in Google and was going to ask if that was the one.

best,
smithy.

Forum Links
Forum Rules