Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Pull Photos Off Phone In Recovery Mode?

Pull Photos Off Phone In Recovery Mode?
subego
Clinically Insane
Dec 11, 2015, 02:57 PM

Have a friend who had a dead computer for a long time, and never set up iCloud backup for her phone.

Now that phone is in a boot screen loop, but it can be gotten into recovery mode.

We're wondering if there are any options to get the photos off it while in recovery mode.

The consensus seems to be either "no" or "try this skeevy software". Any commentary on this?

I've tried to dump it out of recovery using RecBoot, but that gets me back to a boot screen loop. If I try to update via recovery mode, it hangs on the installer screen at 0% progress, and iTunes dumps out of the installation with a -1 error (which is supposedly a corrupted baseband chip).

The battery on this phone may be toast, which I've heard some say can cause this problem.

JennaDewan
Banned
Jan 25, 2016, 11:19 AM

You can get your iPhone out of recovery mode by connecting it to your computer and then open iTunes. Next, tap on "Restore" under iTunes and then backup your settings.
Get more details from "link to skeevy software"
( Last edited by andi*pandi; Jan 25, 2016 at 12:19 PM. )

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Jan 25, 2016, 11:25 AM

This sounds like an iPhone 5. Seen the dead battery, dead phone thing a fair amount, and a new battery does bring the phone back to life -- until it goes completely flat too. If you're handy, I'd do that first.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Feb 13, 2016, 02:50 PM

Yup, you nailed it. iPhone 5.

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 13, 2016, 04:59 PM

There are tons of "suggestions" out there for recovering data from an iPhone that's stuck in Recovery Mode, most of which require this or that software (some of it free). I've used some free products to recover songs from what appeared to be bricked iPods, but iPhones are a different thing altogether.

The most likely, safest and most useful track may be to get the battery replaced and then remind the phone's owner to not let a dead computer prevent her from backing up her phone for so long.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Feb 14, 2016, 02:58 PM

All the programs, especially the free ones, scream "download this Trojan". I've used iPod software before, too. There's plenty of that which is clearly legit.

It looks like PhotoStream may have saved her, though. Once she got a new computer, nothing looked to be missing.

I might self repair the phone for giggles. Not the end of the world if I mess up.

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Feb 14, 2016, 08:11 PM

Well, here's the deal. If the phone is dead, because the battery is flat, that generally means that the U2 IC is dead too. So, basically, as long as the battery never goes completely flat, you'll be fine with just a battery replacement.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Feb 14, 2016, 08:36 PM

U2 IC? extra text

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Feb 14, 2016, 08:49 PM

Forum Links
Forum Rules