Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Sharing Dial-Up

Sharing Dial-Up
mkuehn
Aug 19, 2002, 11:54 PM

So I got my Airport Base Station and Airport Card today (free through work! ) and I'm trying to get my iMac without Airport card to share my dial-up connection via the Base Station. I can see my iMac from the iBook with Airport, so I know the iMac is connected correctly (physically), but when I try to connect to the Internet to check mail from the iMac, I get an error from Entourage saying "check your TCP/IP connections". What I'm wanting it to do is ask the Base Station to create a PPP connection and use that over Ethernet to check mail/surf, etc.

I set up TCP/IP on the iMac to use Ethernet as its connection. I couldn't get DHCP to work, so I manually set the IP/router/subnet info. The Airport manual said to select "Airport" as the "Connect via" but there's no Airport card in the iMac. I tried running the Airport installer on the iMac, just to see if that option would appear, but it didn't.

Everything works like it's supposed to from the iBook. When I ask for a PPP connection and one isn't already up, the Base Station creates one and I'm good to go.

The documentation seems kind of skimpy in this area. It didn't mention if I needed to connect the Base Station to the hub with a crossover or regular cable (regular works) or if the port I connect the Base Station to should be set to Normal or Uplink (I think mine is set to Uplink).

Thanks for any help you can provide,
Matthew

P.S. I installed the most recent Security Update today, via PPP over Airport, and of course I had to reboot. After I started back up and logged in, *the PPP connection was still open, and I could start surfing right away*! SWEET!

You can never have too many Macs.

fulmer
Professional Poster
Aug 20, 2002, 12:39 AM

does your area have broadband (cable or dsl)? you'd be tons happier with that...

mkuehn  (op)
Aug 20, 2002, 10:54 AM

Originally posted by fulmer:
does your area have broadband (cable or dsl)? you'd be tons happier with that...
Yes, both, but until the price drops, I can't justify it. I'm pretty happy with my $8.95/mo dialup, and it lets me do most things I need to, except for the big downloads, which I take care of at work.

It would just be nice to have all the computers share a dialup connection for those times when I'm dialed up and need to download a file on one of the other boxes for whatever reason...

You can never have too many Macs.

Sloth
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 23, 2002, 01:57 PM

I have my iMac hooked up to the base station without an airport card. If I use the powerbook to tell the base station to connect to dial up using its own modem I can then use its connection on the iMac. I have yet to figure out a way to get the iMac to tell the base station to dial up, though.

Forum Links
Forum Rules